a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to iowa

new to iowa

If all goes according to plan my family will be residing in eastern iowa (cedar rapids area) by mid-summer. Aside from the great whitetail deer hunting what other type of "trouble" can a sportsman get into, in that neck of the woods. As a family of 5 we enjoy fishing, biking, hiking, and exploring local historical places of interest. I also enjoy running road races too. If you have any tips/locations/or events to share with us that would be great! Thanks

2013 Pearson Stealth ll SD

For running road races, the Bix 7 in Davenport is enormously popular. Here's a link:

http://www.bix7.com/2012/

If you're interested in an archery club, this one will be in your neck of the woods:

http://www.waltonianarchers.net/

Anamosa bowhunters is a good club, lots of good parks and rec. areas. Get in touch when you get here if ya need a tour!
    2014 Xpedition XR 6
    Winchester Quicksilver 34

Thanks for the archery club link! Toddville would be close enough to visit - looks like a nice facility.

Quote Originally Posted by benji74 View Post
    Anamosa bowhunters is a good club, lots of good parks and rec. areas. Get in touch when you get here if ya need a tour!
    Anamosa will be on the list to check out. I believe we drove by Mastell bridge (sp?) on our last trip to the area and may have seen signs for Anamosa bowhunters. Can never have too many friends when your arrive in a new locale so we may hit you up for a tour - Thanks!

well, if you like biking you oughta love ragbrai!
    Owner: **Precision Tune ** When good enough just ain't good enough!

I'll shoot some 3d with ya when you get here. Unless your a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by P&y only View Post
    I'll shoot some 3d with ya when you get here. Unless your a jerk.
    lol
    2014 Xpedition XR 6

Quote Originally Posted by Arcus View Post
    For running road races, the Bix 7 in Davenport is enormously popular. Here's a link:

http://www.bix7.com/2012/
    Davenport may be a bit far to travel right away BUT I'll keep it in mind. Any leads on any bench press and running combo races in the area?

Quote Originally Posted by P&y only View Post
    well, if you like biking you oughta love ragbrai!
    Not sure what ragbrai is but I enjoy xterra type duathalons. Mnt. biking and running. The family loves to bike so we'll be looking for some nice easy trail systems. As for the 3D shooting I'm good for 1 or 2 a summer and would love to meet a few archers when we pull into town.

Quote Originally Posted by DTales View Post
    Not sure what ragbrai is but I enjoy xterra type duathalons. Mnt. biking and running. The family loves to bike so we'll be looking for some nice easy trail systems. As for the 3D shooting I'm good for 1 or 2 a summer and would love to meet a few archers when we pull into town.
    Ragbrai is Registers Annual Great Bike Ride Across iowa. It is a weeklong bike ride from the missouri river to the mississippi. With a party every night. It is huge!

Quote Originally Posted by DTales View Post
    There is a nice new bike/running path that starts next to my place and runs through cedar rapids.
    2014 Xpedition XR 6

Cool, good info everyone! Keep it coming.

STAY AWAY FROM P&Y ONLY!!!!!!!
    He is a very bad influence...Trust me, I've spent enough time in hunting camps & 3-D shoots with him to know this, lol.
    John's Customs Pro Staff Manager
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 34 Snow, QAD Hoyt HDX, Sure Loc LW Max, Fuse Quiver, B-Stinger stabs, GT Pro Hunter arrows

How is the turkey hunting near cedar rapids? Due to my present career choice, turkey hunting has taken a back seat for the last decade but I'm growing more interested in it lately. Can a hunter consistantly have success on public ground or do you need some private access?

any spring turkey success?

We have plenty of turkey in the state. I mean its Iowa... So far in general the season has been great for most. Consistancy..that depends on the hunter I guess. The birds are definately here, that doesn't mean success though

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    Mathews mr6. 27.5dl 77lbs (hunting)
    Bowtech Swat 27.5dl 62lbs (3d)
    Archery Research 34 (AR34) 27.5dl 62lbs (3d,Target)
    Darton Custom 28dl 69lbd (3d)
    Mission Craze

If ya hunt public ground ya gotta get there early. Starting to think some guys camp out all night to get the spots. Never seem to be able to beat them to the good spots no matter how early i get there. lol
    2014 Xpedition XR 6

*update*

We are in the single digits until departure day, and looking forward to new sights and some adventure! Thanks everyone for the tips and advice.

Waltonian Archers has a great indoor & outdoor ranges & only a few miles from C.Rapids. I shot the Iowa indoor sectionals there this winter & they have several outdoor shoots planned. great club.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Always Thankful

It official - Iowa is our new home! Thanks for all the ideas and leads everyone!

Going to check out Waltonian Archers in Toddville as that's the closest range - CHEERS!

Welcome to Iowa! I'm originally from the eastern part of the state myself (kind of in the middle for a couple years now) hope you guys had a safe move and enjoy it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Corycm View Post
    Welcome to Iowa! I'm originally from the eastern part of the state myself (kind of in the middle for a couple years now) hope you guys had a safe move and enjoy it here.
    So far so good thanks but man there sure is ALOT of corn here in Iowa!

Waltonians have a great club. I try to get back there whenever I can. There is also a great bike/running trail that runs from Hiawatha to Cedar Falls. It is called the Cedar Valley Nature trail. It is on an old railroad bed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast