Thread: Replacing a peep sight?

Replacing a peep sight?

I'd like to replace a peep sight on a bow I just picked up here on the forums. The peep is already tied in (tubeless), so can I just remove the old one, place a string separator, and pop in the new one? Or do I need to cut the strands used to tie in the peep, and retie?

When you say "cut strands", thats scary. If your peep is tied in with serving material, yes, cut the serving material out and re tie the new peep in.
    Holy son of a gun....I'm down to only one bow now. I'm ashamed of myself

Put the string separator in before you remove the old peep.

When you say cut strands I assume you are talking about the serving that holds the peep in. In most cases you can slide that up and down the string to get enough room to remove the old peep and insert the new one.

If you are unsure about the procedure, go to your pro shop.
    I shoot bows. All kinds of bows.

My opinions are MY OPINIONS. Take them for what they are worth.

You should be pressing the bow to do this to take the stress off your string. Working a string separator in there with the string under full tension could result in some damage to the string.

Quote Originally Posted by nicko View Post
    You should be pressing the bow to do this to take the stress off your string. Working a string separator in there with the string under full tension could result in some damage to the string.
    Yeah buddy! I cannot over emphasize how careful you must be doing this. I too think you should be pressing the bow for that operation. It's just way to easy to cut a strand of the bow string.

I'm sad to say thats speaking from experience.

Skeet.
    I cut my arrows twice and they're still too short.

You cannot hit what you cannot see.

Thanks everyone. I did mean to say serving material. I'll take it into a shop and have them do it for me.

There is a difference here, it would depend on if the old peep is still in. You would be able to insert a string splitter, but like mentioned, if your peeps is already out of the string go have a pro-shop do it unless you have a press.

Strong agreement. I've seen bad things happen to quality bow strings when using a string separator, or you might get lucky and it would be OK. You stress the string strands when suing the separator with draw weight on the bow and some strands might break or wear partially through. Most shops will use a press and replace the peep @ just the cost of the peep . We take the tension off, then cut the serving holding the peep. The new peep goes into the same spot and we serve what style the customer prefers.

Best of luck and good shootin'.

Quote Originally Posted by bownutt2 View Post
    Strong agreement. I've seen bad things happen to quality bow strings when using a string separator, or you might get lucky and it would be OK. You stress the string strands when suing the separator with draw weight on the bow and some strands might break or wear partially through. Most shops will use a press and replace the peep @ just the cost of the peep . We take the tension off, then cut the serving holding the peep. The new peep goes into the same spot and we serve what style the customer prefers.

Best of luck and good shootin'.
    I agree but my shop charged me 20 bucks for a peep and install he said 10 I thought that was it then he said 10 more to put it in a press but don't call them to much of a pro shop
    09 Hoyt Alphamax 35

Quote Originally Posted by stavinoha View Post
    I agree but my shop charged me 20 bucks for a peep and install he said 10 I thought that was it then he said 10 more to put it in a press but don't call them to much of a pro shop
    At prices like that, you may want to consider buying a portable press like the Bowmaster and a string splitter and doing it yourself.

At prices like that, you may want to consider buying a portable press like the Bowmaster and a string splitter and doing it yourself.
    I dont know why everyone that has a bow dosent own at least a portable press,just to adjust or replace the peep, mess up the string which is easy to do if you try to move a peep without relaxing the string or install a new one the price of replacing the string would have bought a portaqble press. By the way I have a like new Bowmaster Press for sale, $35.00 click the link for the press http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1738709
    CREED PSE DNA HHA QAD rests CARTER Roost Raiders winners of the 2009 Turkey contest
    Life Endowment Member NRA 32nd Degree Mason
    Tom Takers Winners of the 2011 AT Turkey Contest, 2014 Undeertakers

And for installing string silencers too. I got tired of going to my local shop for every little thing. Buying a portable press turned into a time saver and money saver. I don't have to pay anybody else to do it and I do it on my own time.

The old peep is still in position between the strings. I'll consider a portable press. Honestly though after dropping 700 on a bow and still looking for arrows, the more I can save the better (I suppose it's still better than spending 100 on new strings though)