a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elk Calling Practice 101 (2012 AT, Western Forum, "Post up your elk sounds")

Elk Calling Practice 101 (2012 AT, Western Forum, "Post up your elk sounds")

Here's a thread just for those who haven't done a ton of elk calling and wish to post up their current sounds for comments. Our other 2012 Post em Up threads attracted some pretty experienced callers and got a tad advanced This thread is a good starting point for everyone else who wishes to share their current sounds and receive comments from some pretty good cats in the western forum. It's certainly the right time (well in advance of stepping into the September 2012 elk woods) to get your elk sound practice on. Post up some cow/calf sounds, a bull sound or two, whatever you'd like to record and offer for comment. You can post and repost as many times as you’d like. Here we go… post em up. This thread is like free golf lessons, only you don’t have to wear funky shorts and you can do it from your house. RJ

Seasoned callers (flystrait, ceetoo, eltaco, slim9300, trophyhill, etc., etc.) please keep your diaphrams in your pockets and just provide constructive comments for those who post up their sounds.
    Alpine Archery F1 Fireball
    "Sir, left side Sir!" "Are you sure Private Pyle?"
    Elknut Field Staff

Any tips on how to post sounds here?

Quote Originally Posted by freebird134 View Post
    Any tips on how to post sounds here?
    Soundcloud. Download the app for your phone or go to their website and create an account. It's free and you don't have to worry about needing a video camera, just a mic. The phone app is SUPER easy to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal.
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
    University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum

I certainly wouldnt consider myself an advanced caller just yet Rory the but thanks. You are right though, no better time than the present to get started. September is coming quick
    "The Arrow is everything"
    "Never Give Up........Ever"
    "I Call, They Come, I Kill Them" Gregg Stevens
    "Not all Elk Encounters are Created Equal" Paul Medel aka ElkNut1
    "The Rockies are no place to find out you are not in shape" Trophyhill

Lets try keep this one at the top. I'd like to see some more people get involved. I know guys who pay for or drive great distances for calling seminars. Talk about a huge benefit to grab some free advice, here. A lot of these guys have been a great help to me and I hope some more people take advantage!

Quote Originally Posted by trophyhill View Post
    I certainly wouldnt consider myself an advanced caller just yet Rory the but thanks. You are right though, no better time than the present to get started. September is coming quick
    I didn't say advanced although you are pretty dang good and need to sit this one out.. I said "seasoned"... it's a kind word for an older guy.. anybody that knows who the "Red Rocker" is (and you do) has been walking the planet for more than a several decades ... Just teasing you bro... I'm much more "seasoned" than most....
    Elknut Field Staff

Red Rocker as in Sammy Hagar? You don't have to be "seasoned" to know that, just have good taste in music.

Nicely done freebird... But you my friend are are a music man and know these things. "There's only one way to rock", right? RJ
    Elknut Field Staff

Bump..

Let's hear em. The very first one who posts their elk sounds up for this thread gets a guided September trip to Colorado! Disclaimer: Winner has to buy their OTC tags, provide transportation, research/hire their guide, and pay for the meat processing.. I didn't say it was free Let's go guys and gals. Free elk sound critiques/recommendations for improvement awaits you.
    Elknut Field Staff

I wanna get in on this, but I'm gonna need a bugle first. I need to call elknut

Come on guys and gals where else can you receive "GOOD" free advice!!

Anybody? Bueller..... bueller............. Anybody interested in getting some feedback on their elk sounds?
    Elknut Field Staff

It seems as if I'm just buying a point for elk this year, so bow hunting it is again this year. Guess I better get to practicing again...
    Try to get that soundcloud app working this time

I put some calls on soundcloud on my computer. Now how do I get them onto this post?

Quote Originally Posted by mcinteer1 View Post
    I put some calls on soundcloud on my computer. Now how do I get them onto this post?
    Each sound clip will have a Share link in the top left of the clip, IIRC. Hover over it or click and the direct link will appear.

http://soundcloud.com/ctdad/12-04-21-11-23-23

My first attempt at soundcloud. If it works, I'll post more. So, did it work?

http://soundcloud.com/ctdad/12-04-21-11-23-23

My first attempt at soundcloud. If it works, I'll post more. So, did it work?
    Worked perfectly. Can you try a locate bugle?

2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)

That sounds pretty decent but it sounds like you are losing about 50% of your air through "blow by." What model reed are you using?

I found this today and will be working on replicating this sound... (I feel like it's dead on)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4Cv5...e_gdata_player

http://soundcloud.com/ctdad/audio-re...-on-saturday-1

I noticed how quiet my call was in the middle after I listened to it. I've been doing that and didn't realize it. Is this better?

I'm using bugling bull "the challenge" in all of these through a bugling bull tube.

I listened to the challenge you posted from youtube. Would you normally locate bugle for that long? Therefore, are mine too short?

http://soundcloud.com/ctdad/audio-re...-on-saturday-1

I noticed how quiet my call was in the middle after I listened to it. I've been doing that and didn't realize it. Is this better?

I'm using bugling bull "the challenge" in all of these through a bugling bull tube.

I listened to the challenge you posted from youtube. Would you normally locate bugle for that long? Therefore, are mine too short?
    Sometimes elk locate bugle short and sometime it's long like that. I think it's decided by their mood. Jk. The reason why a lot of elk callers do a longer locate bugle is because it's more likely that it will be heard by the elk. The length of your call is perfectly fine. I would say that you need to work on your pitch (ie. 2 or 3 pitch locate bugle).

I would also say you should really try two new reeds. The All-Star and the Raging Bull. Both single latex reeds will be noticeably easier to use and get the different pitches on. The All-Star is the easiest due to being the "softest."

Have you watched this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-Pqz...e_gdata_player

I have watched that video. Good instruction.

Just so that I'm clear, is the bugle in your example (from youtube) a 2 pitch bugle? Starts at one pitch, then goes up about half way through. Just want to make sure I'm interpreting your advice correctly.

Mcinteer1,--Yes, that is a two note Location Bugle on youtube, it does not need to be that long in length to be effective nor does it have to have the 2nd note. Corey does an excellent job in sound control with it & that's what you want to notice, it is a very pure tone. You just need to resemble it not imitate it exactly as all elk of various ages will have their own but similar take & length. It's a non intimidation bugle! At present yours is too short & do not be concerned about throwing a growl into your beginning or end!

ElkNut1
    elknut.com
    Vortex Optics Dealer

Huge improvement. Work on the finish. I really struggle with this part myself. Corey is perfect in this regard.

Try a three note. I think it sounds more realistic and better represents what I hear in the elk woods. Go pitch one, pitch two, then hold three for about 50% longer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast