Thread: Where in North East PA to get bulk lime?

Where in North East PA to get bulk lime?

I need to lime my plots. We are located in NEPA, Wyoming Co. I knoe some of you guys are close and might know where to get it. The Tunkanuck Agway sells it for around $38.00/ton delivered and dumped, but you gotta take the whole truck, witch is about 24 ton. I only need 12 ton. Thats double the price for lime I don't need. Besides, they are wayyyyy behind, and all lime is beeing prioritised to deliver and spread jobs, so I would half to wait like 2 months to get delivery. I am looking for a place to go and pick it up myself.

Enjoy life as much as you can, whenever you can....cause you never know...

Did you find any lime?

Tunkanuck Agway can have it delivered and dropped for $38. per ton. Problem is I gotta take the whole truck of 24 ton. I only need 12 ton. thats $400.00 more than I need. Still looking for a place I can pick it up in my truck. Would be cheaper yet, and I would only be paying for what I need.
    Enjoy life as much as you can, whenever you can....cause you never know...

It's a problem all the time everywhere.
    So, I Googled...http://www.qdma.com/forums/archive/i...hp/t-4091.html.

And, a thought comes to mind. First, a little explanation...
    Most of the cost of lime is trucking, from where it's mined and processed to you. Hard to generalize, but in my experience, the businesses "making" the lime don't do the trucking. Too much capital investment, not a core function, and lots of people with trucks willing to do the hauling and spreading.

If you're buying lime from the co-op or some other retailer, all they are doing is making a phone call to the lime processor who puts the order on the board for one of the independent haulers to truck.

Here's the thought - Instead of looking to a retailer to purchase bulk lime, look for somebody with a dump truck that might be an independent hauler. The trucker usually has an account at the lime plant. And, the lime plant doesn't want to deal with a bunch of independent phone calls / orders, but they might be able to provide helpful information about lime truckers and others who could get you what you want.

I've never done it....just a thought.

So I go back to Google...
    Search terms: lime trucking and spreading Pensylvania

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient...w=1280&bih=595