Thread: 2012 Foodplot plan

2012 Foodplot plan

My Foodplots for work generally target more than deer. Below is a map of our 317 acre property and the 11 foodplots I have that total approx. 6.38 acres
    2012 Foodplot plan.jpg

You will notice I do not have any clover. Since I have approximately 45 acres of both tall and short WSG, I have plenty of mixed clover firebreaks (approx. 6 acres) that surround the WSG on the west side of the property.

This year I am looking to change some things and test a variety of plot ideas for a possible future program/event on food plots marketed to local hunters.

I have a bunch of free inoculated sunflower seed left over from my dad's 2011 farm planting season. I have enough GMO Soybeans from a local seed company to plant 4 acres. I have access to free corn from my brother (seed dealer), I have 250# of Jerry Oats left over from a wetland restoration project last year. Of course I also have access to free Sorghum from the NRCS.

My draft plan is (corresponds to number plots on map):

1. Spring: Sunflowers-public View
    2. Spring: Soybeans. August: Fiddle Brassicas mix
    3. Spring: Soybeans. August: Fiddle Brassicas mix
    4. Spring: Sunflowers (SongBird habitat) Long side & ½ of large block
    ½ large block: Sorghum
    5. Spring: Jerry Oats
    6. Spring: ½ Soybeans August: fiddle Brassicas
    ½ ????????
    7. Spring: ½ Soybeans August: fiddle Brassicas
    ½ ????????
    8. Fall: Game Food Pea mix
    9. Spring: Oats August: Rye grass (Fiddled in???)
    10. Spring: ½ Soybeans August: fiddle Rye grass
    11. Spring: ½ Soybeans August: fiddle Brassicas

Soil tests are completed and everything, including firebreaks, will be brought back up to acceptable levels. Considering the WSG and clover on the west side of the property and little green on the east side I added rye to the east side of the property.

IDEAS? Comments? Buckwheat? Mixed Millets? Something else?

Mike
    2011 Elite Pure, FUSE (QAD) Ultra Rest, Sword Apex 3rd Plane, Vendetta Enforcer Stabilizer, TightSpot Quiver, GT Velocity XT 300, Exodus broadheads, Scott Shark Release, Straight-N-arrow wrist sling

Bueller????

What kind of things would you want to see/learn about if a local nonprofit offered a seminar on foodplots/mnaging your area for hunting/wildlife?
    2011 Elite Pure, FUSE (QAD) Ultra Rest, Sword Apex 3rd Plane, Vendetta Enforcer Stabilizer, TightSpot Quiver, GT Velocity XT 300, Exodus broadheads, Scott Shark Release, Straight-N-arrow wrist sling