a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toiuchy Subject, Ferral Animals

Toiuchy Subject, Ferral Animals

I have a question (For Texas) regarding ferral animals. Its a felony to kill "stray cats and dogs" but when does it no longer become a felony? I have a room in my house where my three dogs sleep. Last night my basset hound was houling and I could hear the golden retriever was a bit unhappy too. We have a cat problem in our neighborhood. Actually a cat and a dog problem. People think its ok to drop animals off in the country. I have 70 acres of land which I share with two other family members. But it is my land. People drive out here from the city to release home pets, and we end up with lots of strays from time to time until winter kills them off. Well this cat was probably someones house pet as it was so determined to get in to the house it tore a hole in a screen and was on top of a book shelf in the dogs room. The dogs have a bedroom with doggy beds, a spare computer, and the hunting/fishing stuff goes in there. They dont tear anything up so its safe with them. They know the fishing means they get to run around and be dogs in teh water while I fish.

My main question is when does an animal become a nuisance so I can go ahead and take it down? Do I have to wait until it tears itself through the screen again, which was a lot more money to replace than I had thought . Hopefully a game warden checks these from time to time and can give me a heads up on how much crap I have to put up with, with peoples stray animals, before I can call them a nuisance and put them down.... This isn't the first time someones pet has torn my stuff up, because people think its ok to drop thier family pets off in the country... sorry this is partly a rant, but at what point is it a nuisance and I can down it?

SSS

Works for me..... if I did it.
    2012 Bear Mauler

Air Force

stationed in Biloxi, MS, from Minocqua, WI
    i agree the the SSS method for this kind of stuff...if they tear up anything i own(house, lawn, etc), its nuisance enough for me to take matters into my own hands, so i say do what you gotta do and just doin air out your dirty laundry to the world and the problem will be solved and no new ones begun
    CM2(scw) USN NMCB 74
    2010 PSE omen 28/60, BG ascent 3 pin surge head, LD, anchor sight, cx piledriver hunter .350 w/ fobs,trufire edge 4 ,tightspot, muzzy
    Team Whack 'Em & Stack 'Em Hunting Staff **chief squaw stealer aka the resident bouncer ***

well I grew up in TX and there were chicken houses near my home. LOTS OF FERAL CATS. They usualy met my marlin .22. If its a problem critter floor it. NO gamewarrden is gonna waist time on somthing this simple your GTG.

Felony ????? thats BS
    Hell yea I hunt those poor little deer I eat them too.
    highcountryarchery.net/ Yea they are back and making excellent bows!!!!!!!!
    I created the staggar back tuning method

Yeah the law is currently written that killing a stray cat is a felony because you don't have permission from "the owner". Thats ******ed. This guy tore a hole in my house, so I tore a hole in his chest. But I just wanted to get some general consensus on what to do. We have plenty of them. I have a garden, and chickens. They like to tear up both. I just want to know if I have to wait for them to destroy something, or is them snooping good enough. So far I have lost some good crops, and I have damage to my storage shed, and my house.... Im really getting fed up, with no end in sight. My wife has counted about 8 ferral cats coming and going when she is outside with the dogs. They tear up her flowers and my vegetables, and my house. Im just tired of waiting for them to tear something up before they are a nuisance....

do what is needed at the time,dont ask and dont tell.... 22 cb longs are wonderful....

So, now you guys are for poaching?
    THOSE WHO CAN HUNT, DO; THOSE WHO CANT, QUOTE ASHBY

There's a season on puddy cats?
    2012 Bear Mauler

Air Force

I would make a call and ask the game wardens in your area what they think about your situation.
    Hunt/target: Bowtech Insanity, MBG accent w/ vengeance head and dovetail, limb driver, Paradigm carbon hammer and QD, Black eagle
    trad: Hunterbows 3 piece hybrid longbow, bear kodiak

Get a live trap(Havahart) and trap it and have county animal control come and get it or take it to a shelter, sss IS always an option....My cat (River) is on my lap now as I type this, she was a stray that I picked up at a local F&W area that was dumped...My male(Hairball)died last Oct. after 17 years, so I saved River's butt from 'yotes.... I wont hesitate to sss if needed on either dogs or cats....if needed......
    Liberalism is a mental disorder

SSS is one way but if you want to take care of it according to the letter of the law you can live trap them then put them in a garage sale pet carrier or box and do a night deposit at the humane society. I have done both. The only problem was that the first time I took feral cats to humane society they said I would have to pay them to be dropped off since they technically belonged to me. Told them to pack sand and left. That night my buddy and I dropped the box off on their door and left. Problem solved.

sorry new to forums whats sss?

If you can't keep your pets or strays (without collars) off my property, then I will remove them when and how I want.....
    These animals can wreck havoc on your local wildlife, especially the songbirds.
    I hate cat piss on tires and in my shed.
    Hoyt Element RKT
    8.5" Fuse Blade
    Spott Hog Hunter Hoggit
    Vapor Trail Pro V

I'm sorry,I gotta ask...you live in Texas ? right? And you say your winters kill off these stray animals?

Quote Originally Posted by DocUSMC View Post
    sorry new to forums whats sss?
    Shoot,shovel and shut up. (I think )

Wouldn't of posted on here! Lol only me and my gamo would know about all this.
    Lethal Injection Archery

Yes, I have found dead cats in the winter on the property. It does get cold sometimes in texas :P Like last years freeze. It hit around 15 degrees for a couple of days this past feburary I believe it was. Being that it normally doesnt drop below about 38 well stray animals werent ready for it (thankfully). Texas gets cold too you know :P It even snows here for a day or two in the winter :P

Yes, I have found dead cats in the winter on the property. It does get cold sometimes in texas :P Like last years freeze. It hit around 15 degrees for a couple of days this past feburary I believe it was. Being that it normally doesnt drop below about 38 well stray animals werent ready for it (thankfully). Texas gets cold too you know :P It even snows here for a day or two in the winter :P
    Ahhh I see,I just wondered because we have a few stray cats around our property that have been around for years. I would be willing to bet that our winters here in central upstate NY are a little worse then yours in TX.

probably so, but your animals are used to winter. We get a real winter every couple years, not very regular. So they don't develope the coats that your animals do up north. Nor the fat either, just look at the difference in deer size.

When I lived in Maine I had a stray cat problum, I wish the winters took care of them for me but for the three years I lived in my appartment I always had cats, never had winter kills. Some of the cats were cought, some took dirt naps, most got hit by cars. Same went for all the other destructive critters in my yard. I say do what you have to, but it can't hurt to ask a warden or wildlife controll for help.
    2012 Carbon Element , 2012 PSE Blackhawk 60/45 , 2006 Powertec (soon to be franken bow)
    This is me every night )))------------>

Poachers!!
    THOSE WHO CAN HUNT, DO; THOSE WHO CANT, QUOTE ASHBY

Been putting up with the dumped animals here for as long as I can remember. When they attack livestock or domestic animals then they have to be put down.
    Genesis 9;2-3 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea; they are given into your hands. Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants , I now give you everything.

I know here if Animal control comes out to remove stray animals and takes the to the pound, you are responsible for all vet bills. Including putting them down. 22's are alot cheaper.
    If there is a way to shoot myself in the foot, I would most likely miss anyway.
    Illinois Bowhunters Society member

Called our local nuisance officer for a skunk issue....$90 to come out, $50 a week to to keep a "special" skunk trap on the property, $100 to remove the skunk (if caught).

Grabbed my bow, an old Beeman ICS hunter and a muzzy that had be relegated to practice status.....my wife can't figure out why we haven't seen any around lately

Joe
    RingerCams - Keeping Your Eyes on the Prize!!!
    www the 12-ring . com
    Custom Predator GT500, Stage One Threads, Custom Posten, Custom Sword Twilight Hunter, Maxima Hunters
    383 grains @ 300fps

The very best pet I ever had was a feral kitten.

My wife found it in a nest when she was Turkey Hunting.
    This animal is a total joy. In fact I am more attached to him than most any animal I've ever had. He has more personality than most of the people I've met.

It's so sad that people are so irresponsible.

If the democrats have their way the term "Personal Responsibility" will be replaced by " I'm entitled".
    `````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````` ````````````````
    Human life has become cheap in our "enlightened" society. Liberalism has taught these kids that there's no difference in killing a one-year-old in a stroller and killing a ten WEEK old baby in the womb! These killers are not human - they are demons spawned in the cesspool of Progressive ideology.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast