a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: New Archer looking for some assistance

New Archer looking for some assistance

Hi, I've been on a few other archery forum sites and the last one told me that this one is my best bet to answer my question. I am a DIY Archer and for one of my projects I am attempting to build a compound bow, so I went on Ebay and bought 3 sets of Cams for $15, only problem is I have no Idea how to set them up, or the axle to axle length, or draw weight of any of them. The Seller had no idea either, from what he said, his friend gave them to him and he was just trying to sell them to get a quick buck. From the past forum's I've been on, I've been told that they are early 90's, or before, wire cable cams, they seem to be in good condition. And from a note in the box the cams were shipped in, at least one of the cams has a 40-50lb draw weight. For some reason, this site is not letting me upload any pictures of the Cam's or attach them to this Forum,

My favorite one can be viewed at this URL: http://tradtalk.com/forums/showthrea...913#post328913
    If that one doesn't work, it can also be viewed here on the top post here: http://www.archery-forum.com/showthr...638#post339638

The cam itself is about 2.5 inches in diameter, with 2 grooves, one large one at the 2.5 inch radius, and a smaller one at the 2.25 inch radius. The smaller end of the cable (With the V shape piece of metal on it, no idea on the term for it) is about 9 3/4 inches long, and the longer cable with the teardrop loop and round thing (no idea what the term is for that, still learning) is about 44 inches long on this particular cam.

I called the Bass Pro Shop in my area to see if they could help me, and they rudely told me I was an idiot and to buy a $500 bow and they'd put the cam's on for me, without even seeing or hearing a description of the cams. If anyone can help me understand these, and educate me on how to set them up on my bow for a string, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you very much.

I think your on your own on this one . AT is a great place to learn stuff and get answers to archery but mostly for stock bows & accessories and shooting. A custom build is just that that not alot people could help you with . If you had piles and piles of parts bows to sort things out maybe. Its kind of like asking how to put a corvette engine in a BMW . I don't blame Bass Pro for saying that either , just saying and being truthful . What is the sense in cobbing a bow together anyway ? Just buy one that shoots and save your self the headache .Good luck .
    PSE Bowmadness 3G skullworks Lefty 2012
    Elite Hunter 2013 - My new toy
    Bowtech Ross 2010 Carnivore 34 70 lb.
    Vortex Optics -
    Tru-Fire releases

You need a lot of help. Building a bow sounds like fun, but dangerous. And the cams don't determine the draw weight the limbs do.

Good luck.
    PSE Bruin 60lbs @ 28"---PSE Sidewinder 60lbs @ 28"---Scotts Mongoose---Beman ICS Hunters 400---Rocky Mountain Snypers---Summit Cobra X4---Realtree Hardwoods---Summit Seat of the Pants.

Be Safe Shoot Straight

Building your own compound bow is going to require knowledge of how they function. So the first thing I recommend is finding a copy of Emery J Loisselle's "Doctor Your Own Compound Bow". It is an older book that tells you a lot about how a compound bow works. He even converts a recurve bow to a compound bow in the book. Do a search on Amazon.com or Bookfinder.com, there are always several copies for sale. I'll be glad to help answer any questions you have as your project progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkbuck33 View Post
    I think your on your own on this one . AT is a great place to learn stuff and get answers to archery but mostly for stock bows & accessories and shooting. A custom build is just that that not alot people could help you with . If you had piles and piles of parts bows to sort things out maybe. Its kind of like asking how to put a corvette engine in a BMW . I don't blame Bass Pro for saying that either , just saying and being truthful . What is the sense in cobbing a bow together anyway ? Just buy one that shoots and save your self the headache .Good luck .
    What's the sense? Two reasons. 1) My two favorite hobbies are making things from scratch and archery and 2) I'm a 20 year old college student working a minimum wage job, and I can't even afford to buy a "cheap" bow online, therefore my option is to make it myself. I get a sense of accomplishment from making things by hand, and I figured it'd be fun/challenging to make one myself, and making a compound bow just ups the challenge for me, and it's not a headache at all, it's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    Building your own compound bow is going to require knowledge of how they function. So the first thing I recommend is finding a copy of Emery J Loisselle's "Doctor Your Own Compound Bow". It is an older book that tells you a lot about how a compound bow works. He even converts a recurve bow to a compound bow in the book. Do a search on Amazon.com or Bookfinder.com, there are always several copies for sale. I'll be glad to help answer any questions you have as your project progresses.
    Thank you. I'm still doing research on my compound bow project (one of the reasons I'm on this forum in the first place) and I'll check out that book. I'm working on a Takedown bow right now, and the compound bow is just upping the anti for me.

i dont have much advice for ya just a kudos to someone who wants to build something for the satisfaction instead of just throwing money at it like the rest of the world. its awesome good luck and more power to ya

its possible to build a bow--Matt McPherson did it as a teenager...bows have become so advanced now in terms of materials etc..no one does it know. look up on google emeory loiselle and send him an email..see what he says..

Sounds like an interesting project but clearly you have a lot of research to do on the basics, as mentioned for example the cams have nothing to do with draw weight.

If I can suggest... instead buy an inexpensive used bow. I recently bought a nice, old PSE with everything needed to shoot (new strings, rest, basic sight, 8 arrows) for $135 shipped. Ebay and the classifieds/WTB here are pretty good, I got mine through a WTB and I had a few options within a day or two to choose from.