Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limited Shooting Dying out ?

Angry Limited Shooting Dying out ?

I put together a finger bow this winter, Older Martin Pro X Firecat, Energy cams
    Wanted to get more competition, NO ONE around here enters the Trad, or BB divisions for score, NFAA or Local.

I found that Limited divisions are the same... No one around Southern Idaho?

What Gives ?

BigCyn,

I know what you mean. I think that there is one guy, not me, shooting limited in our club. Less all the time.
    A few trad guys, I'm one of these. Rest are Olympic or release shooters.
    I like trad, but was toying with the idea of setting up a finger bow for something different. May be no one to play with though.

I shoot the bowhunter class(non-sights fingers) here in So.Ca. there are only about 20 of us left in the state that I know of.
    No one wants to have to work at hitting the spot anymore, ppl say shooting this style is to hard, easier to use sights and a release.
    Don.
    I shoot for...Gator Vanes....www.gatorvanes.com
    Deer Crossing Archery-Target Shafts-Specialty Archery-Timberdoodle ll-Bow String Depot
    I shoot these bows...Martin SepterV,Shadowcat
    I shoot bowhunter-not barebow..non-sights and fingers.

I find it much more rewarding to still shoot fingers.
    I set it up Freestyle, used a toxonics sight, moveable, but want to shoot my fingers...

I know exactly where you are at. I switched to a recurve 3 years ago partly because there were only 1 or 2 others that shot the IBO Hunter Finger class here in Michigan and I never crossed paths with them in person. With the stickbow classes you usually have a few others to shoot against at state level ASA or IBO shoots.

Hope it improves for you...
    Jerry S - Bowhunting & 3D Enthusiast
    Hoyt Buffalo Recurve & Vectrix Compound
    USA Archery Level 2 Instructor

Shoulder problems make it hard to go trad (although I am thinking of getting a low poundage longbow). I tried using a release and it did quickly improve my scores but I felt too disconnected from the bow.

And while there are a few of us shooting FSL at my local range, I started using a sight, peep and longer stab and compete against the guys shooting releases. Sucks when I have a good night and still lose, but sure feels good when I am in the hunt as the only one using fingers.

I remember in the mid 80's, switching from barebow compound to traditional. You rarely saw a traditional shooter back then. About 10 years later it picked up momentum. I seem to remember the only trad shooters besides myself (teenager) were the old crotchety guys that were too ornery to shoot a compound. Now Trad is pretty popular. I hope Freestyle Limited has a similar resurgence.

I'm not a sponsored shooter, and I shoot indoors with a 24 year old Provantage set up with an old Check-it sight that has...GASP... an aperature! The comments about the dinosaur bow or shooting fingers always come up. I think of it as love! They often give me a pretty good ribbing. I also feel them watching me shoot because it is hard for some to comprehend shooting that well with my set up and...fingers. Don't give up! I am one of very few local shooters I know of in the state that shoot FSL, so I compete against release shooters. There is some satisfaction shooting a 300 on a 5 spot, or 290+ on a Vegas face when your competition has superior equipment.
    If you blame others for your failures, give them credit when you succeed!

I traveled to an IBO shoot in LeGrande Oregon, last year took my Recurve unlimited, and AGAIN was the only shooter in my class.
    DAS Elite, Kaya Tomcats..

I still am going to try and shoot for me....

Same around here and many local shoots are beginning to drop Limited classes so that further discourages people. But, on a higher note, this last weekend was the first time I've ever shot in the same group with another barebow compound shooter and not just one but two others for a total of 3 BB shooters in a group!!!

Yes we are in a long dark spiral for competitive finger shooting.

NFAA is making a big change this year to the Vegas classes they are dropping the Pro freestyle limited class

Most of the local shoots if they even support the limited class have very few shooters.

FITA has completely divorced themselves of the idea that its even an option. If you shoot a compound then you shoot the FITA unlimited class.

We are completely marginalized and it will only get worse.
    Soon we will only be able to shoot fingers for fun or against release shooters (maybe same thing)
    NWSpinner,com
    Don't waste your time wrapping your servings by hand check out the NWSpinner!

Teach a kid archery, you'll be rewarded with a lifetime of smiles!

I think a big reason is that there's no money in it for the sponsoring companies. No release sales to push, not many of us shoot the $100+ drop aways, and a significant portion of us don't use sights. Combine that with the fact that a large number of finger shooters are shooting older bows because the new hunting bows are too dang short and we've lost pretty much any reason for a shoot sponsor to care if we're there or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermag1 View Post
    I think a big reason is that there's no money in it for the sponsoring companies. No release sales to push, not many of us shoot the $100+ drop aways, and a significant portion of us don't use sights. Combine that with the fact that a large number of finger shooters are shooting older bows because the new hunting bows are too dang short and we've lost pretty much any reason for a shoot sponsor to care if we're there or not.
    That is correct in one aspect, but on the other hand it there are only 4 shooters in a class and you shoot decent your shirt/bow/sights all get recognition when you pick up your trophy. At least that is what I tell my prespective sponsers. I am on the podium so to speak every shoot so every body sees my Mathews shirt and my Spott Hogg stickers and Vapor Trail patch (I am not a sponsered shooter just using the brands as reference). Dont get me wrong I would love to go to a shoot and shoot against 80 people like the hunter class has in it but the reality is every body wnats the instant gratification of picking up a bow and hitting a target. Then they say something stupid like I wish I could shoot with fingers. Someone on AT wrote "some people shoot archery others just use a release" I love that saying. I shot a shoot that had 175 shooters and 3 were fingers/sights. that just sucks!
    Mathews MR 6

I agree with you on the instant gratification society reducing the finger shooter numbers overall but most have never even tried shooting with fingers. The archery shops set the new guys up with a short bow, sights and a release and maybe gives them a quick run through so they can hit the general target and sends them on their way. Most never even realize that people can shoot compounds with fingers (just look at the posts in the general section saying that modern compounds shouldn't be shot with fingers). Why do the shops do this? Who knows each shops reason (selling more accessories, not having finger shooting equipment, instant gratification, etc) but it doesn't matter because it happens anyways. The only thing around now that actually trys to make new finger shooters is NASP. Those kids shoot that with fingers and no sights and many get quite good while doing it, but once high school is done there is nowhere to go with it. The sponsor thing I mentioned is towards a different segment (including those that have outgrown NASP) and that's causing established finger shooters to pick up a trigger and leave our ranks.

The only bright light I see for finger shooters is the number of hook and sight shooters that have began picking up traditional equipment. If we could get some of those shooters that aren't quite happy with the limits or their abilities with traditional equipment to try finger shooting a compound, I think many would find that connection or challenge that a hook can't give them but without some of the limits that traditional has.

I was not able to go but I got word that the Redding 3-D Nationals only had four (THATS RIGHT FOLKS... I SAID FOUR) shooters in the non-sighted money event.

So very sad.
    Super Tenere All-The-Way.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyd View Post
    I was not able to go but I got word that the Redding 3-D Nationals only had four (THATS RIGHT FOLKS... I SAID FOUR) shooters in the non-sighted money event.

So very sad.
    Wow, Redding seemed to be one of the last bastions for barebow shooters in the country. Sad news for sure.

my deal is Travel,, Redding is about 14 hours from me?
    I went there in 1993, traveled with 3 guys,, now days kids , food , gas it is just to much...

I am in total agreeance with you supermag I am just statig the short sightedness of the manufactures. They are the ones losing out a great marketing ploy. It does not matter that the score may be a little lower just that their products get some recognition.
    Mathews MR 6

Imagine how Fred Bear felt. His company was the biggest retailer of compound bows, yet Fred hated them. How did he feel watching his beloved recurves fade from popularity. How ironic that those of us who embraced the NEW compounds are now being left behind by technology we don't want or like.
    In the modern economy, "selling skill" is big business. Modern consumer man will attempt to buy a short cut any way he can.If you are in this thread then you know as I do that there is something special in an arrow released off of fingers that a mechanical cannot achieve. Most youngsters will never know that.
    2012 Hoyt Vector Turbo 50#, QAD,
    2010 Hoyt Alpha Max 50#,tt blade, 3D Hinge
    all Nuge strings
    Bear Take-down 55# -- Martin X200 @45#-- Martin Savannah @35#

Well said Windrover.
    Mathews MR 6

Finger shooting is still holding pretty well in Washington State.

We just had our State 3D Championship the past weekend, and had LOTS of Traditional division shooters and a handful of Freestlye Limited (compounds, moveable sights, fingers) Bowhunter Freestyle Limited (compound, pin sights, fingers) and Freestyle Limited Recurve (olympic style) shooters.

I set the record for S-F-FSL as no one had shot that category before.

congrats wa-prez the accomplishment maybe having the guts to shoot the class for the first time.
    Mathews MR 6

We've been trying to talk it up in IBO, and last weekend we had 65 finger shooters at the 1st Leg. They were spread out pretty good though, 17 (HF) Hunter Fingers, 7 (MBF) Male Bowhunter Fingers, 6 (MCU) Male Compound Unaided, 5 (PMF) Pro Male Fingers, 6 (RU) Recurve Unaided, 23 (TRD) Traditional, and 1 (YTRD) Youth Traditional.
    All we can do is keep trying guys!
    London is next for me!
    Finger Shooter Since 1962...

I have shot with fingers for over 30 years.....But the ol shoulder is giving up on me...I just recently got another bow setup using an release an Boy what an change...

unfortunately any finger class is slowly dieing... i have shot fingers up to last year at local shoots and IBO levels. and yes this style is fading away. when i went to my first IBO worlds i was shooting the MBF(mens bow hunter finger{which i like the limited class}) and there was like 40 shooters now this year approx. 6 years later and all the finger classes are lucky to have 10 shooters. and all the local shoots i go to i was mostly the only shooter in fingers, and kept getting pushed into the hunter classes. so i got pushed into shooting release just to keep up with those guys(yeah i more then likely could of hung in there with them but the difference is i would have to find more practice time to keep up) SO WHAT IT IS COMING DOWN TO SHOOTING RELEASE MEANS LESS RANGE PRACTICE TIME THEN FINGER SHOOTERS. WHICH WITH TODAY'S ECONOMY(LOTS OF FOLKS HAVING TO WORK 2 JOBS) AND BOW MANUFACTURERS NOT REALLY CARING FOR FINGER SHOOTERS AND THE SHORTER AMOUNT OF TIME THAT MOST PEOPLE HAVE TO PRATICE ALL DESIGNS ARE POINTING TO RELEASE SHOOTERS. SO WE WILL BE PRETTY MUCH FORCED INTO EXTINCTION.

Maybe in the future thing will turn back in favor for us but i do not believe it will be for a long time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast