Thread: Pain in left shoulder

Question Pain in left shoulder

Let me start by saying I'm completely new to archery and have probably been over doing it but....

After my last two practice sessions my left shoulder (on top in front) has been killing me!! It doesn't hurt when pulling the bow or during practice but afterward is enough to bring me to tears. Ice and advil help and after a day I feel pretty good.

Hoping I just need to build some muscle in an area that doesn't get much use.

Yup, I've experienced a few shoulder problems and both times, the answer was just to take a few weeks off from shooting and lifting weights. It stinks but it's about the only way to keep from injuring yourself even more.

Just rest and ice a couple times a day for couple weeks. If it starts hurting once you start shooting again, give it a little more time to heal.

Where's the pain specifically? How would you describe it? Does it radiate anywhere else? Do any other motions recreate the exact pain? What positions make it better? Worse?
    Ron Paul

2008 Hoyt Katera XL in Inferno
    2008 Hoyt Katera XL in APG Camo

Quote Originally Posted by isaacdahl View Post
    Yup, I've experienced a few shoulder problems and both times, the answer was just to take a few weeks off from shooting and lifting weights. It stinks but it's about the only way to keep from injuring yourself even more.

Just rest and ice a couple times a day for couple weeks. If it starts hurting once you start shooting again, give it a little more time to heal.
    Yep.

Over the past few years I've had a few occurrences of pretty bad shoulder pain. Almost made Dr. appts a couple times. Both times I just gave it more rest. Pain went away on its own.
    Treat Lowballers like Terrorists -
    DON'T NEGOTIATE WITH EITHER!

See doctor!

What poundage are you pulling?

60# and the pain has subsided after some rest and icing. It was mainly on the front of my left shoulder. I've cut back on the number of shots during practice and it seems to be helping.

I have pain in my front right shoulder. just went to the orthopedic doc and he said I have bicept tendonitus. was movements hurt? I have to rest eh arm for 6 weeks and take some pills he gave me. then if thier is still pain when I go back ill get a MRI and cortizone shot. Visit the doc and see what he says, no point is risking it

Hunt/target: Bowtech Insanity, MBG accent w/ vengeance head and dovetail, limb driver, Paradigm carbon hammer and QD, Black eagle
    trad: Hunterbows 3 piece hybrid longbow, bear kodiak
    paradigm archery field staff

I also have left sided shoulder pain that extends up the left side of my neck. I also have noticed some muscle twitching in my left upper arm, not controllable at all, very random in timing and location. Not sure exactly what to do about it, may have to talk to a doc, I might also just rest it for a few weeks and see what it does. Somewhat concerning but I will not give up archery.