a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: my first attempt at fletching

my first attempt at fletching

This is my first attempt at fletching. I went with the heat shrink wrap although I know most of yall dont think its a good idea. These are wing feathers from a longbeard I killed earlier this spring that I sanded down and cut with my chopper. I know yall make alot prettier arrows, but I am pretty happy and proud of my first fletching job look at the stripes on some of them I think they are striped up nice. Feel free to give me any tips on anything you see wrong as I am definately still learning. I know I got glue everywhere, I tried to clean it off as best I could. Thanks
    arrows 1.jpgarrows 2.jpgarrows 3.jpgarrows 5.jpg

Those are some good looking arrows!

I will warn you that I tried the Easton shrink wraps a couple months ago and it didn't end well. The problem is that if you ever hit you wrap with another arrow, the whole wrap with all of your fletching will fall off. After about three weeks of shooting I had half a dozen bare shafts again!
    Elite Archery GT500
    Armortech Pro HD 7 pin
    Stokerized Nucleus and 10" Hunter

Ps- I wish I had a picture of my first attempt at fletching. Not one arrow had feathers at same angles and there was glue everywhere!!!

Yours look great for you first attempt.
    Elite Archery GT500
    Armortech Pro HD 7 pin
    Stokerized Nucleus and 10" Hunter

Looks fine.

Looks good. As far as the glue goes: the less used the cleaner the result. With experience you'll use less and become a better judge of the right amount. As long as you've got it up the whole spine you're usually good as it will expand as compressed against the shaft. The less used the faster they dry also. Be careful with a lot of glue not to remove from the jig too hastily or the rear of the feathers will come off the shaft. Learned that the hard way. Nice job. Enjoy your labors.

Looks good, like the natural barred feathers. Make sure you put a drop of glue on the back and especially the front of the quill after you take the clamp off.

You did good......what kind of fletcher did you use?
    Athens Archery Factory Staff Shooter
    Life is too short to live without a Sharps Quigley
    Broughton Art and knives com]
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

Shrink wrap do you heat them with a hair dryer or dip them in hot water. an now much do they cost each. Get a grayling or bearpaw flether problemly cheaper in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Easykeeper View Post
    Looks good, like the natural barred feathers. Make sure you put a drop of glue on the back and especially the front of the quill after you take the clamp off.
    +5
    I forgot this very important shelf and strike plate saving step. Do it or enjoy replace the feathers and shelf covering often.

I used electrical heat shrink wrap and I used the ole lady's hair dryer to shrink it. You have to have a really hot hair dryer to shrink it down tight. her's was a chi or somethin that got really hot. Tried not to get the shaft too hot while doing it. I used a bitzenburger fletcher. and as far as the cost of the shrink wrap goes, you can get it at harbor freight for 2.99 for 15 feet but they only carry black. I ordered 20 feet (10 feet of white, 10 feet of red) online for 15 bucks shipped to my door. That correlates to 32 seven and a half inch wraps for 15 bucks. The feathers stuck to the heat wrap very well. I used permabond to glue the feathers on. Thanks for the comments

Quote Originally Posted by wcw280 View Post
    This is my first attempt at fletching. I went with the heat shrink wrap although I know most of yall dont think its a good idea. These are wing feathers from a longbeard I killed earlier this spring that I sanded down and cut with my chopper. I know yall make alot prettier arrows, but I am pretty happy and proud of my first fletching job look at the stripes on some of them I think they are striped up nice. Feel free to give me any tips on anything you see wrong as I am definately still learning. I know I got glue everywhere, I tried to clean it off as best I could. Thanks
    Nice sharp helical... I think that it is quite well done.... It's how the arrow flies that matters.

OH I thought the feathers were on the shrink wrap already. You are just using it for a wrap.

You did a wonderful job. Keep it up. Plus free feathers

Yea. the feathers were on a live longbeard a couple weeks ago. and thanks again for the complements. I haven't gotten the chance to shoot em yet because my nose is buried in books for my upcoming finals, but Im gonna try to make it to the range thurs afternoon. I will keep yall posted on the durability of the wrap and all as I am anxious to see how it holds up and how the arrows fly myself.

Looks good to me!
    2014 Elite Energy 35 - Black 30/60 www.elitearchery.com
    Honey Creek Outdoors- Grove, OK https://www.facebook.com/honeycreekoutdoors
    Black Eagle Arrows www.blackeaglearrows.com

They look great, not a fan of wraps as they add weight to the wrong end of the shaft but nice job!