Thread: Black Widow Limb twist...Can it be fixed?

Question Black Widow Limb twist...Can it be fixed?

My brother has an older black widow that has a twisted limb. Is there a way to straighten limb(s)? Or is this a lost cause?
    shawnsphoto (The Shutterbug Bowhunter) "Trust in this bow and it will not easily miss" (Narnia)
    HolmMade "Goshawk" Longbow 52#@31" = 179fps (525gr arrow) HolmMade River Runner Recurve 49#@31" = 177fps ~ Martin Jaguar TD 40lb @28" ~ Arrows-Forrester Wood Shafts & Beman website: nielsen-studios.

twist it the other way - just grap the limb and "bump" it back - sometimes this works - if it does not - call Black Widow and they will guide you through a few other things to try.

Thanks for the idea. It is an older bow that my brother has. He is asking $50 for it, just not sure if it is worth the try. If nothing else it makes a good prop for the wall!
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpbroadhead View Post
    twist it the other way - just grap the limb and "bump" it back - sometimes this works - if it does not - call Black Widow and they will guide you through a few other things to try.
    shawnsphoto (The Shutterbug Bowhunter) "Trust in this bow and it will not easily miss" (Narnia)
    HolmMade "Goshawk" Longbow 52#@31" = 179fps (525gr arrow) HolmMade River Runner Recurve 49#@31" = 177fps ~ Martin Jaguar TD 40lb @28" ~ Arrows-Forrester Wood Shafts & Beman website: nielsen-studios.

Just shoot it anyway. Its only when the twist is very bad and the string comes off the bow its a problem.

Granola CA What ain't fruits and nuts is flakes
    Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Just shoot it anyway. Its only when the twist is very bad and the string comes off the bow its a problem.
    Not true. Since the string doesn't travel on the proper track tuning can become difficult. If the set up is already tuned and the twist develops afterwards, state of tune is lost. Also continuing to stess a twisted limb, effectively pulling the limb tip sideways time after time will only make the twist worse, until finally it does unstring itself and dry fire.
    Yes, yes, some folks here say it doesn't matter because So and So shot an Olympic bow with a twisted limb once upon a time. Do you honestly believe that the guy WANTED to shoot with a twisted limb? Heck no! It was because he had no choice! He had no back up bow. Either shoot and pray the bow doesn't come unstrung, or take an incomplete.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    Since the string doesn't travel on the proper track tuning can become difficult.
    Wrong, the string doesn't have to sit perfect in the string groove to be consistent, it just has to be consistent. How much of the powerstroke does the string groove account for? Regardless of alignment a bow will still tune, some archers get too anal about their bows setup.

Also continuing to stess a twisted limb, effectively pulling the limb tip sideways time after time will only make the twist worse, until finally it does unstring itself and dry fire.
    How long?

some folks here say it doesn't matter because So and So shot an Olympic bow with a twisted limb once upon a time.
    Who? No one wants to shoot a twisted limb but that doesn't mean they cant. I've shot bows in the past with twisted limbs, my brothers one piece Wing. I just kept moving the string over every how many shots it was (can't remember lol!) and kept shooting.

Shawnsphoto, It really depends on how bad the twist is, I've managed to fix some pretty bad ones over the years, the greater the twist the harder it is to repair, some that only have a very slight twist can be bumped back in place like sharpy has suggested, but without a but of heat it will will not stay for long, I use a hair dryer to warm the limb, and twist in the opposite direction while putting it under cold running water, the heat softens the glue and the cold allows it to reset quickly, I have never had one re twist using this method and it has never damaged any bow that I've used this method on, please use some common sense here though, the object isn't to melt the bow, but only to soften the glue...

Thanks for the suggestion. I am very interested in the Black widow if the twist can be repaired. My brother tends to buy and sell rapidly, so this has me interested.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoofire1 View Post
    Shawnsphoto, It really depends on how bad the twist is, I've managed to fix some pretty bad ones over the years, the greater the twist the harder it is to repair, some that only have a very slight twist can be bumped back in place like sharpy has suggested, but without a but of heat it will will not stay for long, I use a hair dryer to warm the limb, and twist in the opposite direction while putting it under cold running water, the heat softens the glue and the cold allows it to reset quickly, I have never had one re twist using this method and it has never damaged any bow that I've used this method on, please use some common sense here though, the object isn't to melt the bow, but only to soften the glue...

be very careful using heat - before I did that I would talk to Black Widow - i doubt that a hair dryer will cause delamination - but still - just to be safe - I would call them and see what they recommend. I think that they do recommend the hair dryer - but I am not sure.

I will be careful if I buy it. I suppose at that price it is a cool antique for the wall. Would be cool if it was shootable though.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpbroadhead View Post
    be very careful using heat - before I did that I would talk to Black Widow - i doubt that a hair dryer will cause delamination - but still - just to be safe - I would call them and see what they recommend. I think that they do recommend the hair dryer - but I am not sure.

The video they send with every bow you buy from them recommends using a dryer if the limb twists. Heat it a little and twist it the opposite way.

very interesting. I am very tempted!

Granola CA What ain't fruits and nuts is flakes
    Sigh.

Wrong, the string doesn't have to sit perfect in the string groove to be consistent, it just has to be consistent. How much of the powerstroke does the string groove account for? Regardless of alignment a bow will still tune, some archers get too anal about their bows setup.

How long?

Who? No one wants to shoot a twisted limb but that doesn't mean they cant. I've shot bows in the past with twisted limbs, my brothers one piece Wing. I just kept moving the string over every how many shots it was (can't remember lol!) and kept shooting.
    Double sigh.
    Read what I wrote. Never said it wouldn't tune. Just that it can make it difficult and if already tuned then the twist shows up the state of tune is lost. Too anal? Fine whatever. NOBODY ever got good at this by going about it half arsed.

Anyway I have used the hair dryer method successfully a few times. But I always saved it as a last resort. It always struck me that there is some risk of ruining the bow. Funny though, one of the bows I saved is my wife's BW from '63 that was her father's bow. (her brother had it and stored it for like 20 years in a closet standing up on one of its limbs.)
    Don't believe everything you think.

Well I got the bow from my brother and had a string of the right length and the bow stacks to hard for me to even be able to pull to my draw length. Bummer. But here is a photo of the limb twistIMAG0320.jpg

Probably the first thing I’d be inclined to reject is the notion of chalking the bow up to lost causes. Twisted limbs are just part of the reality we all deal with…and mostly by exercising preventive measures.

If you handle enough bows chances are you’ll eventually be faced with the issue. As noted, bowyers have recommendations, printed instructions still exist that are about as old as the first working recurves, and limb twist questions keep reappearing on websites. Personally, I’ve straightened out several and often just bumping/holding the offending tip in the other direction does the trick…though it might be a gradual process and take a few attempts for it to settle back to straight…and I’ll continue to monitor that it stays that way over a period of time/use.

The deal with using heat is that too much can lead to delamination. This is kinda a tough call ‘cause “too much heat” is very vague…and not something you want to find out. IMO, the problem with advising the use of hair dryers, specifically, is that some can get very hot…so it would be difficult to gauge the amount of heat any one person has in their hands and how they’re going to apply it. There are also recommendations for putting the limb in a tub of hot water or wrapping it in hot towels…probably better than direct heat, but I’d also take steps to insure that no water penetrated the bow.

I suppose the biggest point to make with whatever attempt at warming the limb is used, is that a warm limb is “naturally” more pliable than a cold one…and that being the case, for the “more difficult” twists (often bows on the heavy draw weight side) I’ll take a relatively easy approach to warming the limb. Just putting the bow out in the sun on a hot day can raise its temperature pretty quickly…or hanging it on a warm garage wall, setting it on a sun-warmed window sill or, in my case, the closet that holds the electric hot-water heater is good for winter months…its just a matter of monitoring the amount of heat and not allowing it to get so hot you can’t touch the bow.

Anyhow, I do think it advisable to offer some cautions regarding the use of heat…but in my experience, I’ve never had to do more than my stated approach and every bow has returned to its original position. That said, there’s not enough information here to know how twisted your limb is, but the degree of twist most often seems to occur as the “garden variety”.

I’ve acquired one bow with severe propeller-twist (both tips going in opposite directions) that’s in need of special attention and I hope to be taking pictures of the process I’ll be using. I built a jig years ago that helps to target specifically where the twisting begins and I’d consider any attempt at fixing this bow without it as nearly hopeless. For the majority of other twisted limbs though…I’d consider them very much hopeful without a whole lot of fuss. Best of luck with yours, Rick.

Ps. Just saw the picture before I posted this…looks doable…too bad it’s presently too much weight, but I’d guess certainly worth the price.
    The best book I ever read on human behavior was about training dogs

Pm sent

It's not that there is too much weight. Just at my draw length it stacks to the point that I can't even anchor;-(
    Quote Originally Posted by rickstix View Post
    Probably the first thing I’d be inclined to reject is the notion of chalking the bow up to lost causes. Twisted limbs are just part of the reality we all deal with…and mostly by exercising preventive measures.

If you handle enough bows chances are you’ll eventually be faced with the issue. As noted, bowyers have recommendations, printed instructions still exist that are about as old as the first working recurves, and limb twist questions keep reappearing on websites. Personally, I’ve straightened out several and often just bumping/holding the offending tip in the other direction does the trick…though it might be a gradual process and take a few attempts for it to settle back to straight…and I’ll continue to monitor that it stays that way over a period of time/use.

The deal with using heat is that too much can lead to delamination. This is kinda a tough call ‘cause “too much heat” is very vague…and not something you want to find out. IMO, the problem with advising the use of hair dryers, specifically, is that some can get very hot…so it would be difficult to gauge the amount of heat any one person has in their hands and how they’re going to apply it. There are also recommendations for putting the limb in a tub of hot water or wrapping it in hot towels…probably better than direct heat, but I’d also take steps to insure that no water penetrated the bow.

I suppose the biggest point to make with whatever attempt at warming the limb is used, is that a warm limb is “naturally” more pliable than a cold one…and that being the case, for the “more difficult” twists (often bows on the heavy draw weight side) I’ll take a relatively easy approach to warming the limb. Just putting the bow out in the sun on a hot day can raise its temperature pretty quickly…or hanging it on a warm garage wall, setting it on a sun-warmed window sill or, in my case, the closet that holds the electric hot-water heater is good for winter months…its just a matter of monitoring the amount of heat and not allowing it to get so hot you can’t touch the bow.

Anyhow, I do think it advisable to offer some cautions regarding the use of heat…but in my experience, I’ve never had to do more than my stated approach and every bow has returned to its original position. That said, there’s not enough information here to know how twisted your limb is, but the degree of twist most often seems to occur as the “garden variety”.

I’ve acquired one bow with severe propeller-twist (both tips going in opposite directions) that’s in need of special attention and I hope to be taking pictures of the process I’ll be using. I built a jig years ago that helps to target specifically where the twisting begins and I’d consider any attempt at fixing this bow without it as nearly hopeless. For the majority of other twisted limbs though…I’d consider them very much hopeful without a whole lot of fuss. Best of luck with yours, Rick.

Ps. Just saw the picture before I posted this…looks doable…too bad it’s presently too much weight, but I’d guess certainly worth the price.

What length bow is it and what is your draw length ?

#20040 is a 60” 44# @ 28” draw bow. I believe my draw length is 30.5 (approx)
    Quote Originally Posted by JParanee View Post
    What length bow is it and what is your draw length ?

Wow, only 44#'s....... Well that takes me out, as I shoot about twice that , but you should have no problem finding a home for it, many shooters prefer bows in that weight.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnsphoto View Post
    #20040 is a 60” 44# @ 28” draw bow. I believe my draw length is 30.5 (approx)
    Usually if your draw is that length on a compound some people's draw shortens up with a recurve. I was just curious when you mentioned the stacking issue

Quote Originally Posted by shawnsphoto View Post
    Well I got the bow from my brother and had a string of the right length and the bow stacks to hard for me to even be able to pull to my draw length. Bummer. But here is a photo of the limb twistIMAG0320.jpg

It ain't no big deal. I would love to just give you your money back for that bow,but since I would feel like I cheated you I won't offer that deal.
    Just take the bow to the kitchen sink,turn on the hot water and run it on the limb in the area that appears to be twisted untill it becomes warm to the touch. Does not need to be too hot to touch,just guten warm. Now,grasp the riser firmly with one hand and the limb out near the end with the other. Give the limb a good twist in the opposite direction and hold untill it has time to cool. String it at 7 inches brace and give it a look. If it needs more then repeat the process,if it's close then just keep 'bumping' it a little and rechecking till you get it pretty close. Leave it strung while you do the 'bump'.
    Try shooting the bow at 7 inches brace height. The stacking problem should be better. If so then you can play with the brace height to get what the bow seems to like and what works for you.

But,if you just your money back......

IMAG0316.jpgSo I may sell this. I am curious as to what this bow with the current limb condition and two very small holes (for a sight) on the back of the riser might be worth? Black widow said it shipped on August 22 1967. Wish this was a comfortable bow for me;-( So let me know your thoughts of $ amount! Here area a couple more photos.IMAG0317.jpgIMAG0320.jpg

Black Widows usually go for good money so even in this condition you should be able to sell it easy enough. Personally I would try it on eBay and see what happens.

I will check on that if need be. I have one offer I just need to make sure that it is the right way to go. I trully don't know the value of this bow!

Black Widows usually go for good money so even in this condition you should be able to sell it easy enough. Personally I would try it on eBay and see what happens.