Thread: Wayne National Forest?

Wayne National Forest?

A friend and I are looking into hunting Ohio's Wayne National Forest. How many hunt it, we have heard if you walk over a mile back into the forst, you can find some pretty big bucks due to the laziness of some people...if anyone has hunted it and has had success please post your pictures, and possibly give us some tips into hunting this huge piece of ground

sorry we dont have big deer here

I wish you good luck.
    Predator in the woods

i live in the n.e. corner of ohio. i have not hunted the wayne but here are some tips. go to a wal-mart in ohio and buy a ohio atlas and gazeteteer. it show's every dirt road in this state. use it with a map of the wayne you can get from odow. look for farms that are close to the wayne or butt up to it and try to ambush the deer as they are coming and going from the farm. we are imagining that the farm has corn or soybean planted. if you can find a grove or even just one white oak that will work even better if it's dropping acorns. beechnuts are a big draw also. during the rut put some tinks out 20-25 yards from your stand and pay attention to wind direction when you set things up. take the tinks with you at the end of the day!!!!!!! don't educate the deer, if you leave the tinks out there over night that is excactly what you are doing. zaleski (sp) state forest and the shawnee is also down there, might be worth checking out. check out jackson and vinton counties for public land, might be worth a look. ticks should be horrible this year,be prepared.

Thanks Steve for all the info!

Have hunted it for over 30 years. My best advice is to get some maps and stick with your plan to go back in a ways. The ODNR looks to be taking steps to cut down on all of the 4 wheelers traffic outside of the assigned trails.
    Proud Member of the Roy Hall DRIVEN Foundation Impact Team LUKE 12:6
    CROSSBOW CONNECTION MAGAZINE, Field Editor
    Carbon Express CX-1 Blue Streak Arrows Torrid Broadheads
    ...please visit my Blog "Lee Phillips Outdoors" at www.buckhuntinginpa.com ...

Great place to hunt but it's not nothing like it use to be
    Mathews mr8 blacked out
    Mathews mr6 blacked out

I lived in Ironton Ohio for 3 years and the Wayne National Forest was my back yard. You are right about one thing, there are a lot of monster bucks in that area. Also there I never saw another hunter while I was in the woods. The bad thing is your not alowed to use your 4 wheelers in most of the areas only in certain assigned zones....I found that out the hard way! The terrain is very hilly and rough and if you get to far back in you'll need help getting your deer out. I shot a nice perfect 8 point buck and stuck one of the biggest bucks I've ever seen walking in the woods in the 3 years I lived their. I had to leave that one over night due to the placemnet of the arrow but was unable to find it...I saw were it bedded down a few time but something kept it running....Most of the ridges has a lot of large white oaks some a couldn't even get my arms around.. The best thing to do is stop at the Ranger Stations and get the maps of the area..There a a few other National Forest around Wayne also...Also check out Kentucky hunting too. I hunted Ashland and Catlettsburg and there are some great deer and turkey hunting their. Good Luck!!!
    Retired: 22 Years. E-7 HTC (SW) NAVY ( "You can take the man out of the Military, but you can't take the Military out of the man")
    Shooting: 2006 Elite-E-Force (Ninja) 2011 Bowtech D340 (Camo), 2013 Bowtech Assassin (Ninja), 2013 Alien X, 2007 Elite Synergy (fall E-Leaf) and 2014 APA Viper Nano

Thanks shippy, my girlfriend has an uncle that lives in Ky, and we were thinking about that too. I don't know where he lives, but I have heard of Ashland!
    Hoyt CRX 32
    HHA
    Beeman ICS
    G5 T3's

I heard Ohio ran out of deer this year.

sent via smoke signal from droid

Quote Originally Posted by nelliott View Post

I don't know where you live but in our area I seen a lot of nice bucks and I got a nice 9 point that has a 22" spread....I do know though in some counties it's getting harder.....
    Retired: 22 Years. E-7 HTC (SW) NAVY ( "You can take the man out of the Military, but you can't take the Military out of the man")
    Shooting: 2006 Elite-E-Force (Ninja) 2011 Bowtech D340 (Camo), 2013 Bowtech Assassin (Ninja), 2013 Alien X, 2007 Elite Synergy (fall E-Leaf) and 2014 APA Viper Nano

Quote Originally Posted by nelliott View Post

I love how when some new DIY hunters ask for advice about Ohio, people are always never willing to help, I think with all the info I have compiled so far I have helped more people with questions about Ohio than many of the guys on here from Ohio...I mean there are a few that will help like shippy, and a few others who have pm'd me but this is the answer we always get, or "check the dnr website" many of us already have, we just want input from people who actually hunt Ohio year round. How's come it's just mostly just Ohio guys that won't help other people, I have seen threads about Indiana and Iowa and other states and guys are all over helping the OP? Just a little rant sorry guys
    Hoyt CRX 32
    HHA
    Beeman ICS
    G5 T3's

Aviod area's clearly marked with signs stating its wayne nation forsest land..IE Horse camps, Horse trail heads, ATV trail heads a good map is a must since 90% of the forest isn't marked in no way. In parts of the forest where ATV's are permitted stands close to the parking area or roads can be killer since most guys hunting these areas are using their atv's to go miles into the forest..very few people hunt closer to the trucks so that's whre the deer are..I saw 9 bucks from a stand one morning in an 80 yard string of brush between two very very heavily used ATV trails I could also see cars going by from my stand on the main roadway. Focus mainly on benches and saddles and we try to stay off the the ridge tops for the most part. Be prepared for other hunters no matter what though this was a non issue until about 3 years ago..now its unreal the amount of non residents who are hunting the forest. I actually had a guy try to climb in my ladder stand with me in it this past season..lol. I see more guys at 1 mile back in the timber than I do at 1/2 mile or less..lol Every tom dick and hairy goes by that you have to go a mile to get away from people mindset. Around my area its how difficult the location is to access more so than distance. If you can go down a big hill and back up the other side I am willing to bet my paycheck you will be alone..As long as that hill doesn boarder a road or something of the sorts. If I can be of any other help just give me a shout..I litterally live right in the middle of the Ironton district.

Thanks baz! we may, I think we are going to push off hunting this year due to new jobs, and I get litterally one day off a week, so we may wait til I can go for at least 2 days but that just means more planning for us and hopefully up our odds a bit but we will prolly give you a holler to get some info from ya!
    Hoyt CRX 32
    HHA
    Beeman ICS
    G5 T3's

I think a lot of Ohio residents are less willing to help nowadays due to the growing popularity of hunting here by nonresidents and the amount of outfitting businesses popping up all over the state leasing up land and eliminating access . That leaves many with only public land opportunities. An owner of 15000 acres near my families land used to allow anyone willing to knock on his door and and indulge him in some friendly conversation access to hunt. A few years ago he closed off his lands to allow his grandson to open an outfitting business . That displaced a lot of local hunters who now flood public land .
    I personally have no hard feelings toward nonres hunters . I would recomend getting maps of aep lands as opposed to Wayne . Wayne is on every map where as aep lands are lesser known . Going deep in the woods is a good plan , however if you do get an Ohio atlas as recomended in a prior post you will find there are very few places in Ohio where you will be a mile from a road. If you choose to come during the rut don't be surprised if you have company

Quote Originally Posted by scottiwad4 View Post
    I think a lot of Ohio residents are less willing to help nowadays due to the growing popularity of hunting here by nonresidents and the amount of outfitting businesses popping up all over the state leasing up land and eliminating access . That leaves many with only public land opportunities. An owner of 15000 acres near my families land used to allow anyone willing to knock on his door and and indulge him in some friendly conversation access to hunt. A few years ago he closed off his lands to allow his grandson to open an outfitting business . That displaced a lot of local hunters who now flood public land .
    I personally have no hard feelings toward nonres hunters . I would recomend getting maps of aep lands as opposed to Wayne . Wayne is on every map where as aep lands are lesser known . Going deep in the woods is a good plan , however if you do get an Ohio atlas as recomended in a prior post you will find there are very few places in Ohio where you will be a mile from a road. If you choose to come during the rut don't be surprised if you have company
    We Have a winner !
    TenPoint Phantom, Black Eagle Executioners
    NAP 100gn. Nitron Broadheads
    Burris, Leupold Optics, XB30
    Black Widow Deer Lures Pro Staff
    NRA Life Member, Molon Labe, Bravo Zulu Team VI

Nothing is.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyhunter5569 View Post
    Great place to hunt but it's not nothing like it use to be

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter 540 View Post
    Thanks shippy, my girlfriend has an uncle that lives in Ky, and we were thinking about that too. I don't know where he lives, but I have heard of Ashland!
    Ashland is on state line next to Wayne NF.

There are several blocks of Wayne. What are the geographic differences in them? Hunting pressure and which ones have the least access? That info would be interesting

I have hunted in Ohio, had good success and sightings. This was 6 years ago and I went for the years in a row, the amount of pressure in 3 years was night and day. I first tried going in far but most people did that too. As bazz said, I also had the best encounters close to the road. Seen more bucks then does all in total. I took a 135 inch 100 yards off of the road. I also hunted just north of the Wayne but good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyOne View Post
    sorry we dont have big deer here
    No different than anywhere else. You can kill big deer less than 100 yes from the road or kill them in deep. The Wayne was very good years ago but dwindles every year

I spent 6 seasons on aep and public lands throughout the state. I did hunt the Wayne numerous times. Be prepared for people. When looking into the aep lands, I found my success by the ways/locations that I accessed the hunting areas. Walking in the trails or roads that all the other hunters do is a major mistake. That's my biggest tip. I gave up the public hunting in 2009 when I found a nice private farm to hunt. Then I gave that up in 2012 when I got on the lease I have wanted to be on forever. I have no intentions of ever going back to public land. Hope you have a successful hunt.