Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a gut shot deer safe to eat?

Is a gut shot deer safe to eat?

I know that if you gut shoot a deer and you have contamination of the local meat with the gastric contents you chop that off and throw it away. Lets say that you have had to let a deer lay over night, letting the infection take its toll and then recover your deer. As the infection spreads, it enters the blood so theoretically you have a completely contaminated deer. Does this affect the allocation of the deer meat, ie since it was gut shot only making ground meat that is going to be well cooked? I know I like my steaks both deer and beef around the rare-med rare so I would have a hard time eating steaks from a deer like that. Is this faulty thinking?

I am not really sure. I have eaten gut shot deer before. I make sure to really hose them out as best that I can. I take them to the butcher and tell them up front that it was gut shot. I do not know what they do behind the scenes if you know what I mean. The meat didn't really taste all that bad or different. This one was shot in the winter though when it was extremely cold. A gutshot deer in october when it is 85 degrees out and sitting in that kind of heat all night I am not sure if it would be any different to tell you the truth.

I gut shot a doe this season with a shotgun. she was only 35 yards, but she stepped as I shot...
    I put a finishing shot on her after 4 hours, jumping her once. After I gutted her I washed her out in a small stream I had to cross heading back to the jeep. I ate the last packet of venision yesterday. I like my steak medium-rare.

Nothing wrong with it. And for reference I am a butcher and like my venison rare to blue rare, I have also been known to eat it off the block while butchering
    2008 Ross Cardiac 70Lbs, QAD pro HD, Sims modular stab, Copper john dead nutz 2 sight, Scott Sabertooth release, G5 Meta peep, beman arrows with ONESTRINGER arrow wraps topped with Slick Tricks or GT2's and RIDGERUNNER sling

Yes

I like to have water near by and wash it out really good. Also, I think the quicker you can get it gutted, the better. If it's really warm, I would be a little more cautious. I'm in Texas, where it doesn't get as cold as many other areas, so others may think differently.

your fine
    2011 Hoyt CRX32
    Spott Hogg- Hogg It Sight
    Trophy Taker Drop Away
    >>>---------Let ONE Fly---------->

yes, just rinse the meat
    2014 Bear Agenda 7
    - Spot Hogg Hogg-It Wrapped 5 Pin Sight
    - Trophy Ridge Revolution 2.0 Rest
    - Trophy Ridge 9" Static Stab /w Doinker QD
    - Trophy Ridge Arrow Cage Quiver

Its fine i paunched my buck lat year. i quickly field dressed the animal and hung it up. next am it was at the butcher and a few days later we were enjoying some venison...
    2012 Matthews Mission Riot
    27" Draw 65 LB
    Tru Glo sight
    Qad Ultra Rest Hunter
    Grim Reaper Whitetail 100 grain tips

Yes

PSE EVO 57 Lbs.
    Blacked out

The only thing I dont eat on a gut shot one that lays is the inner tenderloins
    Only ever borrow money if someone else is paying it off for you! Do you know what this means?

I have only seen one gut shot deer that was no good. If I remember correctly it was earlier in the season and a little warm. My buddy shot it at last light and we waited until the next morning to get it. We could smell it before we found it. After gutting it we could tell the carcass had spoiled overnight. This was a rare occasion. I don't recomend washing out carcass in a stream. I would wait until you get home and hose out with potable water.
    Hoyt Element RKT
    8.5" Fuse Blade
    Spott Hog Hunter Hoggit
    Vapor Trail Pro V

Quote Originally Posted by jlh42581 View Post
    That's the best meat on the deer.......I can't tell any difference at all. I have my deer processed and I don't get them to seperate gut shot for non-gut shot......does anyone else? Its in yer head folks.
    Bowtech Commander
    (Compound Traditionalist…and inconspicuous Old Timer)
    Bear Super Kodiak

You probably dont even get your own deer back. You think they crank up those saws to cut each deer?

I process mine from the time it drops till we eat it. No one... not one single person has ever complained about gamey tasting venison. In fact, my inlaws said that the venison I give them tastes completely different from everyone else who shares with them.
    Only ever borrow money if someone else is paying it off for you! Do you know what this means?

Yeah it's fine as long as it's washed out. I process my own also and have never had a problem with any meat. I've made just about every thing you can with deer meat, and nothing has tasted "gamey". The only deer we have thrown away were two that had been hit by cars and survived somehow, one had gang greene in one leg and the other had a growth behind one shoulder.

yes eat it but if it lays over night depennds on how hot it is before I would
    09 Reezen 7 27.5 x 60lbs
    HHA 5519 Quad Ultra Pro LD rest
    STS B-Stinger
    Team 21 Gutpile Gang

if it were in the commercial production industry, no. all meat with that came into contact with any material from the gastrointestinal tract has to be removed from the food chain. so i guess it depends if you feel safe eating it or you agree with USDA regs for other meat
    Fur: '11 Elite Pure (Max-1)
    Foam: '12 Elite Pure (ninja)
    Indoors: '12 Elite Tour (ninja)
    B-Stinger, Gold Tip, TRU Ball/Axcel, Trophy Taker

same here

I have only not eaten one gut shot deer...last light, let it lay overnight and could smell it from 75 yards away when we went to trail it at first light...
    Looking for 1-2 members to join my W/C Illinois Lease...send me a PM!!

Its fine, I would rinse it out real good and enjoy your venison. Be careful using the creek method. Creek water is very high in bacteria, that is why drinking creek water is not recommended. JMO!

Should be good
    2012 Bear Anarchy
    2009 Bowtech 82nd Airborne
    montana-wild.com

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandilands View Post
    Nothing wrong with it. And for reference I am a butcher and like my venison rare to blue rare, I have also been known to eat it off the block while butchering
    Eating it off the butchering block, you are CraZy man.
    Film your own Hunt with your smartphone. With our all new universal C-clamp smartphone bow mount.
    All new as of 2013

Also as of 2014 Crossbow Smartphone mount

www.crazyarchery.com

You probably dont even get your own deer back. You think they crank up those saws to cut each deer?

I process mine from the time it drops till we eat it. No one... not one single person has ever complained about gamey tasting venison. In fact, my inlaws said that the venison I give them tastes completely different from everyone else who shares with them.
    Same here, saves money, I know its MY deer, adds satisfaction, and tastes better!
    2011 Hoyt ProHawk 28.5" 63#

Funny you asked this question. I was wondering the same thing. I gut shot my buck this year. Had to let him go over night. It did get down in to the 40's overnight and I found him the next morning, still warm. I took him to the butcher and he said he cleaned out any meat that he would not eat. We took a roast out the other day and mixed up the stuff we usually do with a roast. When I got home from work, I could smell the roast and it smelled not very good. We ate it and realized, it did not taste very good either. We opened up some burger and cooked it too. Same smell as we were cooking it. We are unsure of what to do exactly. Any suggestions????
    Elite 35 Black 60 lbs. Orange OK Archery Absolute 38 60.lbs
    HHA Site/Tru ball Axcel 5 pin
    Black Eagle Arrows Shooting Staff
    Dead Center Archery Shooting Staff
    Tru Ball Shooting StaffOfficial Scorer for the NBBC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast