Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is a gut shot deer safe to eat?

I eat gut shot deer, It just has a little extra smell to it. Just add a little more garlic

The older I get, The better I was.

I dont think you will have a problem as long as it hasnt sat too long and you get it rinsed out quickly...

The butcher spoke, he will know best. I hunt with two butchers and the third (who taught me) does not hunt any longer. We have never thought twice about eating them. We try to get as little on the meat and wash them at times, but don't like to if we don't have to. We do let them air out after cutting a few hours on the deck if it is cool and in the shade or put them in the refrige if it is hot out. Just what we do.

Ches.
    2013 Skullworks PSE DNA, Hamskea Versa Rest FC, Timberland No-Peep, Axcel Vision 5 pin .029
    2010 Black PSE AXE 6,TT Smackdown Pro FC , Timberland No-Peep, Axcel Armortech 5 pin .029
    X-Weave 300 Pro's, RamCat's & ST Mags
    I shoot in the back yard and hunt wherever I can-Team #41 NonTypicals

We used to take ours to grizzlys custom cutting in wny he processes all kinds of game. That said unless you take a bunch at once to most places your not getting your own back.

We cut grind mix all of ours. Only thing we don't do is make hot dogs and we are in the process of that as well. It takes about 50 lbs of chunk meat to guarantee you get your own back at most places.

Big time money saver to learn his to process your own. Start up costs suck but at 60 plus a deer it makes it up quick

Sent to you from my wireless leash
    Team Whack 'Em & Stack 'Em Hunting Staff
    Elite Z28 30/60
    Chief Arrow Stick Out

Quote Originally Posted by jlh42581 View Post
    You probably dont even get your own deer back. You think they crank up those saws to cut each deer?

I process mine from the time it drops till we eat it. No one... not one single person has ever complained about gamey tasting venison. In fact, my inlaws said that the venison I give them tastes completely different from everyone else who shares with them.
    Same here. Never had a deer leave my sight from field to table. I gut shot a doe with a 10ga, she turned as I shot. 2oz slug went in her front right shoulder and exited her rear left quarter (through the bone). Field dressing was a nightmare, but got her home rinsed out with city water (never in a creek for me) and butchered the next day. Only lost some meat from entry and exit holes, anything that was contaminated. Actually just came across a pic of the old girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Kighty7 View Post
    Funny you asked this question. I was wondering the same thing. I gut shot my buck this year. Had to let him go over night. It did get down in to the 40's overnight and I found him the next morning, still warm. I took him to the butcher and he said he cleaned out any meat that he would not eat. We took a roast out the other day and mixed up the stuff we usually do with a roast. When I got home from work, I could smell the roast and it smelled not very good. We ate it and realized, it did not taste very good either. We opened up some burger and cooked it too. Same smell as we were cooking it. We are unsure of what to do exactly. Any suggestions????
    Did you loose power to your freezer at some point?

Clean it up as quick as you can and it should be fine. I butcher my own and if I come across any meat that I question do to smell it gets thrown in the freezer for trap bait.

Every Situation is Different

I've nicked the guts on a few deer over the years that fortunately all died quickly and I agree with everyone here that you just wash it out and move on. These deer were all recovered within a few hours and cooled down fast; the meat was perfectly normal.

However 2 seasons ago I had a different experience. Shot a decent buck with my bow but he moved as I released and my arrow entered the paunch on one side and penetrated deeply into the hind quarter on the other side. Spooked him during initial tracking so I backed out until morning. Nightime temps were in the 30s.

Took up the chase at dawn but wasn't making much progress until our faithful Norwegian Elkhound Ursa focused my attention on a single spec of blood. Long story short, that led to discovery of the dead buck a couple hundred yards away along a nearby lakeshore around 1pm. Temp was around 50 degrees.

I tagged and gutted the buck and soon had it hanging and skinned. Pulled out the tenderloins and brought them into the kitchen for the wife to clean up, wrap and freeze while I continued cutting meat.

A little while later she came out with the tenderloins and reported "This stinks". She has a more sensitive nose than I do and upon closer inspection she was right. I kept cutting hoping it was just the tenderloins but all the meat on that deer stunk like sewer even the quarters not penetrated by my arrow.

My layperson's theory is that intestinal bacteria got into the bloodstream while the buck was still alive and was pumped into all of its tissues causing a systemic sepsis i.e. blood poisoning.

Never wasted a buck like that before and was sick about it...

So I recommend you trust your nose (or the sensitive nose of a loved one) and act accordingly. If you've ever had food poisoning you'll err on the side of caution believe me...
    Reflex Buckskin / XT Hunters w/ Blazers / G5 Strikers /
    VBG Hollow Pino/ No Peep / MZE / TRU Ball Pro Diamond Xtreme

I shot a doe through the intestines in 2000. Easy shot and I made a horrible hit on the deer by rushing my shot. Snuck out and left her overnite and found her next morning about 100 yards from where I shot her. She was laying on an island in a stream. Heavy frost so it got plenty cold at night. She was one of the best deer I've eaten.
    Shooting yesterday's technology today!
    Hoyt Vectrix XL 60#, 29" DL
    Hoyt Maxxis 35 60#, 29" DL
    Beman ICS Hunter 400 and 340
    Rocket Steelheads 100 and 125 grains

Deer left overnight with guts in it

Quote Originally Posted by Jake L View Post
    I know that if you gut shoot a deer and you have contamination of the local meat with the gastric contents you chop that off and throw it away. Lets say that you have had to let a deer lay over night, letting the infection take its toll and then recover your deer. As the infection spreads, it enters the blood so theoretically you have a completely contaminated deer. Does this affect the allocation of the deer meat, ie since it was gut shot only making ground meat that is going to be well cooked? I know I like my steaks both deer and beef around the rare-med rare so I would have a hard time eating steaks from a deer like that. Is this faulty thinking?
    Here is a perspective from a guy who has been hunting all his life and is running his family's meat packing business which is in its 96th year.

I've been skinning deer for over 40 years and i've seen just about everything and heard about everything when it comes to people not finding deer overnight.
    You have to realize that when you let a deer in the woods overnight that is not gutted,the bacteria starts to grow,then the gas starts to build up in the deer,that's if it isn't gut shot.Even if the steam comes out of the inside of the deer the next day,you still have a certain amount of spoilage.What you don't know is when did this deer die ? How long has it been dead laying there with the nasty bacteria growing in it ? Ever heard of BOTULISM or E-COLI ?? In my experience when I discover that the deer had the guts in it overnight,I ask the customer,"Would you buy something from a meat market that smelled like this ?" OR "Is it really worth getting your family sick over ?" What is it that people just don't get about this I've had a deer brought in and showed the customer the green in the inside and he asks" Can you eat that ?" REALLY and then they stand there and argue that they can't smell anything ,and it's green and smells like deer guts. !!!
    When a deer lays overnight the meat will look pale(not dark red like it should) and the fat if any on the deer will look pink or reddish colored(it should be white).Those are tell tale signs of the guts in a deer overnight,not to mention the gut smell.All the cooling and aging in the world will not get rid of the stink or bacteria left from guts in a deer too long.Even if it is in the teens for temp. overnight, the deer hair is such a good insulator that the heat can't get out of the carcass.The bigger the animal,the bigger chance of spoilage.When a deer spoils, it usually is in the hams,shoulders and on big deer,the neck.These places are where the meat is the thickest and it is the last place the heat gets out.
    Ask your buddies you make sausage with if they want your deer meat that layed with the guts in it,, mixed with the rest of their good meat and see what they say !!
    Yes,,sometimes the meat might be ok after it has layed with the guts in it,but I've seen too much and smelled too much rotten deer meat in my life to tell someone to go ahead and eat an overnight non gutted deer.
    The bottom line is ,I won't let anyone eat anything I wouldn't eat myself and that seems to have been working for our plant for 96+ years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12