a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Whats the right BH for the 25" SF w/ long limbs?

Whats the right BH for the 25" SF w/ long limbs?

I had mine set up at Champion Archery cause he ordered my new FF string. I measured my BH there at 8". I also measured the tiller and they were both the same. If I remember correctly it was 6 and 1/2". Does anybody know what the BH should be on this bow?
    Athens Archery Factory Staff Shooter
    Life is too short to live without a Sharps Quigley
    Broughton Art and knives com]
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

Dave -

Most 70" ILF bows require between 9.25" and 9.5". But you will have to tune with the other parameters as well.

Viper1 out.
    “Simple and innocent, however, as it (the bow) appears, and capable as it is of being a trusty friend and ally, a bow is at the same time a watchful enemy, ready to take advantage of the smallest slight.”

I cannot answer your question directly, but as a general rule, you should see a "little bit" of the string groove on the limb.
    From there, you adjust up and down according to tune.
    If the groove is completely covered, you are too low and if you can see say 1/2" or more, it's too high.
    HTH
    Good luck
    "We all quite often tend to forget that Archery is an aiming sport..." Vittorio Frangilli (THA)

"This archery stuff can get awfully complicated for something that is just suppose to be a bent stick." Popsted by: Hank D Thoreau

Per the SF manual the brace height for long limbs on a 25'' riser should be 22.5-24.5 cm. That's approximately 8 7/8 to 9 5/8 inches.

Wow, how in the world did I shoot as well as I did with a 8" BH? Looks like I'm gonna have to do some string twisting are buy about an inch shorter string.......I will work on it tomorrow and see how, if any, it improves my accuracy and feel........John bought a 70" AMO string........whats going on with this AMO thing when the string is an inch too long?
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

I thought the bow was making more noise than normal......too much of a twang at release. Maybe this will cure that and can I twist enough to get it where it should be......?
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

Dave -

On some of my limbs, especially W&W (SF's parent company, so to speak). Going from 9" to 9.25" means going from hearing a car door slamming to barely a whisper.

Viper1 out.
    “Simple and innocent, however, as it (the bow) appears, and capable as it is of being a trusty friend and ally, a bow is at the same time a watchful enemy, ready to take advantage of the smallest slight.”

Quote Originally Posted by Viper1 View Post
    Dave -

On some of my limbs, especially W&W (SF's parent company, so to speak). Going from 9" to 9.25" means going from hearing a car door slamming to barely a whisper.

Viper1 out.
    That sounds great but can I twist the string enough to reach 9", much less 9.25?
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

I'm gonna measure this string tomorrow and I'll get back with the figures.......Would an inch less string have been better?
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

How many twists do you have in the string right now at the 8" brace height?
    SASKATCHEWAN
    ITALIAN RISERS KOREAN LIMBS

You may be able to twist it high enough, but if it's already got any twists in it at 8" BH, it might not be worth trying. When I first set mine up, before I started making my own strings and shortened them a lot, I had something over 100 twists in my string to get BH up to 9 1/8". When I took that string off and untwisted it, it was a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by TER View Post
    How many twists do you have in the string right now at the 8" brace height?
    I'll check with John but I don't think he put any twists on the string.
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

Quote Originally Posted by m013690 View Post
    You may be able to twist it high enough, but if it's already got any twists in it at 8" BH, it might not be worth trying. When I first set mine up, before I started making my own strings and shortened them a lot, I had something over 100 twists in my string to get BH up to 9 1/8". When I took that string off and untwisted it, it was a mess.
    I'm beginning to think this AMO string length is a bunch of bunk. this is the second time I've gone with AMO length strings and they have been too long. I'm gonna measure my string right now and get back on here and report my findings.....
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

I just measured the string and its 65 and 1/2 inches long.......that can't be right!
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

I just measured the BH again and it is 8 and 7/8s high. I was off on my measurement at Johns. Do I still need to put some twists on the string to get it over 9 inches?
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

8 7/8" is within the recommendation from the SF manual, but only just barely. You still might want a few more. Lik I said, with that same riser you have, my coach set me up at 9 1/8" as a starting point to deviate from. That's probably about 8-10 twist more than you have right now.

And the AMO does seem to come in pretty close. I'm now making my own strings for my 70" bow, and they're right around 66.5" - 66.875" or so to get my BH right in the center of the recommended range with 30 twists (so I can go a little up or a little down and still have the string twisted enough to be round).

If I put say.......4 or 5 twist on the string will it effect my nocking point? Dag-gum, I just put another nock on too!
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

It could, depending on your tiller. But 4-5 twists isn't going to make THAT much of a difference. Besides, I would guess that if you haven't done enough tuning to really dial in your BH, then your nocking point height probably isn't going to be too badly affected by a change of 1/16" from changing BH.

Does increasing the brace height weaken the arrow's dynamic spine. I'm struggling to get my arrows weaker.
    -Dan in WA
    (and no, I'm not a bowhunter)

DIV -

Yes.

Viper1 out.

thanks! great.
    -Dan in WA
    (and no, I'm not a bowhunter)

It will, but only a little. More point weight and draw weight is more effective.