a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Randy Ulmer 6 fletch design

Randy Ulmer 6 fletch design

Im not sure if Randy is the one who came up with it, but he is the only one I have seen use it. I saw a picture recently where he had his hunting arrows fletched up with 6 AAE plastifletch max vanes. Does anybody know the benefits of doing this? I would assume there is some benefit over traditional styles or he wouldn't be using it. Bottom line is I'm just curious. Any insight would be appreciated.

I thought Gillingham showed up to a spot shoot with huge arrows and 6 vanes on them?
    Kevin Garceau

Owner: G-Force Archery and Outdoors
    Custom high performance arrows built to your needs.
    I can help with any and all archery accessory needs at competitive pricing

Ive seen 4....but not 6 can u even get 6 vanes on an arrow lol
    Elite

I would think that if you used six, make them smaller then the normal 3 fletch, the arrow would spin cleaner without losing much speed...even though three fletchs seem to work. lol

I've heard of it, but always thought it was a lot of extra weight on the wrong end of the arrow. Looks cool though
    Mathews MR7 29" (smoke red) 60#, Bodoodle Pro 5000, Sureloc, CX Linejammer 250's, Truball Little boss, Cartel stab, SWITCHBACK XT 29", 70#, QAD Ultra rest LD, Sword 3rd plane, GT 7595, Scott Shark, Shrewd grip.

Randy Walk president of Hoyt shoots a type of 6fletch configuration two 2"blazers in a line (one in front of the other). I've done a full 6 around the arrow with the helix jig it flew like a dart at 40 yards but you could hear the arrow whoosh all the way to the target

I've never tried 6, but if Randy is using them there has to be an upside to them because he's not the type to use something on his hunting rigs "because it looks cool"...My guess is that he can get by with smaller, lighter, lower profile vanes but still end up getting more control with them since he has 6 of them back there steering.
    I've played around with 4 fletch using Blazers and AAE MaxHunters and they really steer broadheads better than 3 fletch do at long range
    John's Customs Pro Staff Manager
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 34 Snow, QAD Hoyt HDX, Sure Loc LW Max, Fuse Quiver, B-Stinger stabs, GT Pro Hunter arrows

Pic of this 6 vane arrow or it was never Fletched ? ;-)
    "let the fans make the noise" -jh

Ulmer is far from the first to try or use a 6-fletch....I remember Jesse Morehead shooting 6-fletch indoors several years ago...and I know others who did it before and have done it since...

I hunted with 6 Fletcher fusions 2 years ago and they flew awesome I have some still at home I will post pictures of how I did them tonight
    B and M Discount Archery Supplies (open for buisness)
    PSE Pro-Staff, Lumenok Pro-Staff, Nap Fieldstaff
    Gold Tip Advisor Staff, Norway Ind. pro-staff
    PSE Dream Season EVO, Shinny Copper Penny Supra
    Dominator Pro ME (Awsome)

http://randyulmer.dphoto.com/#/album.../photo/5736620

You can get an idea from this picture.

Quote Originally Posted by BowHuntnKY View Post
    Ive seen 4....but not 6 can u even get 6 vanes on an arrow lol
    Had a guy on a bale next to me at Vegas a few years ago that shot his fat shafts with 12 vanes on it. Every base was touching each other. Problem is, he was using a lizard tongue rest and wondering why his arrows were all over the place.

I've shot six...heck, I've even shot eight back in my experimental days.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

If I didn't hate fletching arrows so much I'd fletch up a few and try it..lol.
    I'm just afraid I'd like them and have to refletch all my arrows.
    John's Customs Pro Staff Manager
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 34 Snow, QAD Hoyt HDX, Sure Loc LW Max, Fuse Quiver, B-Stinger stabs, GT Pro Hunter arrows

I duhno sound like over kill to me
    Elite

I experimented with 6 Blazers a couple years ago. Shooting long and close range, I found no improvement at all. Didn't help with fixed blade broadheads either.

Very easy to try, have fletching jig set upnfor three vanes, glue on the 3, then turn nock half way to next vane and glue on 3 more.

Kev
    <><

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    Kev <><
    2011 Black Supra 60# for target, 38" ATA
    2011 Black Supra 60# for hunting, 38" ATA
    "I have never let down and then wished that I hadn't."

What kind of fletching jig would work for this?

I used a bohning helix jig when I tried it

Older soft 4-5" plastic vanes tend to flutter in flight , thus producing unwanted sound and possible issues with consistency... hence the reason why folks chose to double stack shorter , stiffer vanes in line 120* or propeller like as shown in Vortex69 pic .

This topic was always a firestarter in any debate and many friends and colleagues tried it with mixed results ... I personally never noticed any difference , but there is some merit to this method . Ever wondered why Bi-delta's look the way they are ? .... Overall , if You can't get 3 fletches to work for ya , adding 3 more won't help you much neither... jmo .

I have fletched a few different arrows like this, and I think this really is the way to go. If I shoot indoors again, thats how my arrows will be done up for sure.

Have seen some like this before. They do fly great but, I imagine the speed drops off quick.
    Many have asked. Does a scope and lens really help? Heck yes it does!! I miss a lot more accurately now.

I live in the Land of the Free, because of the BRAVE!!

Agree 100 % ....... if you cant get a 3 fletched arrow to fly correct, then adding 3 more sure in the hell isnt gonna help either .. stop over thinking the simple things and just shot !!
    Quote Originally Posted by jack70707 View Post
    Older soft 4-5" plastic vanes tend to flutter in flight , thus producing unwanted sound and possible issues with consistency... hence the reason why folks chose to double stack shorter , stiffer vanes in line 120* or propeller like as shown in Vortex69 pic .

This topic was always a firestarter in any debate and many friends and colleagues tried it with mixed results ... I personally never noticed any difference , but there is some merit to this method . Ever wondered why Bi-delta's look the way they are ? .... Overall , if You can't get 3 fletches to work for ya , adding 3 more won't help you much neither... jmo .

Used mini-blazers and AZ EZ fletch on carbon express arrows about a year ago. Really sucks when shooting groups...tears up even more vanes.

Why? what do you gain in having six fletch over 3 or 4, noise.

I have shot 6 fletched vanes for more control , how I do it is nock side vane reg blazer then add a mini blazer in front of back vane fletch them together ,, I can shoot fixed blade broadheads at warp 9 perfect arrow comtrol, way better than 5" vanes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast