Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Stand Your Ground- You be the judge game

#4 Innocent
    Tree Huggin Hippie who hunts elk with a bow and appreciates a good dark beer. An enigma walking.
    Oh, and I'm not a dude. A

Quote Originally Posted by ZenBubba View Post
    Innocent.

I get a kick out of "souvenir" baseball bat along with the last name. Is it a souvenir because he broke his first set of knee caps with it?
    wait at first I thought a normal size wooden bat but there are those really small wooden bats too...both souvenirs from baseball games.

and did the guy really take this lady's keys? For what?

and in case number 4 the answer is>>>>>>>>>>>>

The outcome: Not charged.
    Fair and Balanced with a splash of Sarcasm, and pinch of Reason

It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKSTER View Post
    and in case number 4 the answer is>>>>>>>>>>>>

The outcome: Not charged.
    that's it, that's all you're going to give us?

Quote Originally Posted by booger View Post
    wait at first I thought a normal size wooden bat but there are those really small wooden bats too...both souvenirs from baseball games.

and did the guy really take this lady's keys? For what?
    I never thought about the size but I get what you mean. I only know what Buckster posted

Buckster

Have you found any cases where gang bangers in FLA used SYG to justify shooting other gang bangers? Several bloggers and LSM types have suggested that gang members have used the law to escape justice but they never mention specific cases. just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Pine View Post
    Buckster

Have you found any cases where gang bangers in FLA used SYG to justify shooting other gang bangers? Several bloggers and LSM types have suggested that gang members have used the law to escape justice but they never mention specific cases. just wondering.

No I haven't, but one would have to search all court hearings and police charges in all state that have a SYG law.....to determine if that had ever been used between gang member as a means to acquitted or no charges.....filed.

However in light of the recent Oklahoma racial motivated shootings, this turned up....seems the guy that shot the other guys dad, was not charged with murder based upon self-defense.....
    http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=12260908 http://www.newson6.com/story/1226947...tulsa-homicide

Now Ok does have castle doctrine and not a SYG law, however it is reasonable to assume that if they had a SYG law it would result I the same findings......

I think the issue with the SYG is how easily it can be used to manipulate a situation. And as dead men tell no tells it makes it harder to know the truth of who did what first. and no witness make sit even harder. It lays in mostly at the hands of the PD/PA who as we know can often incriminate folks who had legitimate claims and also to ignore those who don't and allow them freedom.....

It is one of those very grey areas in law..........

that's it, that's all you're going to give us?
    What more do you want?

What more do you want?
    Well if it was a mini bat or normal. And if they determined whose property the masked guy was on. And why the guy had his neighbor's keys.

Well if it was a mini bat or normal. And if they determined whose property the masked guy was on. And why the guy had his neighbor's keys.
    In material to the issue, size of the bat doesn't matter, property doesn't matter as a person by Florida law has a right to SYG regardless of property issues, and keys are not relative to the SYG case.

In material to the issue, size of the bat doesn't matter, property doesn't matter as a person by Florida law has a right to SYG regardless of property issues, and keys are not relative to the SYG case.
    If size of the bat doesn't matter then how do you determine whether someone is a threat? A mask is sufficient reason to kill someone walking down the street?

I'll admit I'm not an expert on SYG but that makes it seem like you could just go around killing people and claim SYG.

Now lets see how you find on this case
    case # 5
    Another one from Florida......

On August 1, 2010, Alexander had gone back to the home she rented with 36-year-old Rico Edward Gray, whom she had married only three months before.[/B]According to her statement to police, Gray became enraged. He burst into the bathroom, threw her against the door, and threatened her.
    According to Gray's deposition, in which he admits to previous instances of domestic violence, including against Alexander, he admits that he told her, "if I can't have you, no one can," and that he was enraged that she intended to leave him. Marissa, according to her statements, said she managed to get past him, and ran into the garage. But according to both her and Gray's statements, she couldn't get out of the house through the garage, because it was locked, and the automatic door wasn't working. So Marissa Alexander grabbed her licensed handgun out of her car and ran back into the house, where she confronted Gray in the kitchen. He was standing there with his two sons -- an older one, who lives with his mother, and the younger son, who is 11, like Marissa and Lincoln's twins.
    Marissa fired one shot into the air, which lodged in the kitchen ceiling. Gray, in his deposition, admits she never pointed the gun at him. Lincoln says that on the 911 call, the man he calls only "the abuser" told the dispatcher he was "so pissed." Not scared -- pissed.
    She told police there was an order of protection [in place] to prevent her husband from beating her. Both of those things are reflected in the police report.

Use the SYG rule what do you think took place....
    No charges filed,
    Aquitted,
    Charged

If size of the bat doesn't matter then how do you determine whether someone is a threat? A mask is sufficient reason to kill someone walking down the street?

I'll admit I'm not an expert on SYG but that makes it seem like you could just go around killing people and claim SYG.
    And you can use the SYG doens't mean you won;t be charged, and or convicted......

On August 1, 2010, Alexander had gone back to the home she rented with 36-year-old Rico Edward Gray, whom she had married only three months before.[/B]According to her statement to police, Gray became enraged. He burst into the bathroom, threw her against the door, and threatened her.
    According to Gray's deposition, in which he admits to previous instances of domestic violence, including against Alexander, he admits that he told her, "if I can't have you, no one can," and that he was enraged that she intended to leave him. Marissa, according to her statements, said she managed to get past him, and ran into the garage. But according to both her and Gray's statements, she couldn't get out of the house through the garage, because it was locked, and the automatic door wasn't working. So Marissa Alexander grabbed her licensed handgun out of her car and ran back into the house, where she confronted Gray in the kitchen. He was standing there with his two sons -- an older one, who lives with his mother, and the younger son, who is 11, like Marissa and Lincoln's twins.
    Marissa fired one shot into the air, which lodged in the kitchen ceiling. Gray, in his deposition, admits she never pointed the gun at him. Lincoln says that on the 911 call, the man he calls only "the abuser" told the dispatcher he was "so pissed." Not scared -- pissed.
    She told police there was an order of protection [in place] to prevent her husband from beating her. Both of those things are reflected in the police report.

No charges filed,
    Aquitted,
    Charged
    I'm not sure who Lincoln is. One of the kids?

#5 not charged.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenBubba View Post
    I'm not sure who Lincoln is. One of the kids?
    Sorry Lincoln is father to two of the ladies kids. Gray became enraged as he saw text from Marissa on here phone to Lincoln that Gray took as an indication they were getting back together.

i should have left that out of the copy and paste i did....as it not as prudent to the case.....

Sorry Lincoln is father to two of the ladies kids. Gray became enraged as he saw text from Marissa on here phone to Lincoln that Gray took as an indication they were getting back together.

i should have left that out of the copy and paste i did....as it not as prudent to the case.....
    I feel better knowing I wasn't looking right at it like when my wife has to show me the ketchup is right in front of my nose in the fridge. LOL

No charges, she was protecting her kids and no one was harmed. I say protecting her kids, her husband was being abusive. She couldn't take any chances.

Case # 5

No charges filed,
    Aquitted,
    Charged
    I don't think SYG applys to this case. I'm not sure self-defense applies. He didn't threaten the kids but he did threatened her. She left the area and entered the garage. He didn't follow her. Where was the threat? She grabbed her weapon and returned to wherever he was to confront him.

There was an order of protection so she could order him out of the house and he was legally required to leave. Brandishing her weapon re-enforced the court order. Shooting the ceiling probably wasn't necessary but I wasn't there.

What would the police have charged her with? Discharging a firearm within city limits?

If one does not have the right to be there, then the syg might not apply, at least that is a legal opinion I've seen.

As to the last case, can't respond as I know the outcome....................... ....ck

Never argue with an idiot, he'll just drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

I've never seen a problem that politicians could not make worse

case number 3

Incident date: Dec. 29, 2011
    Location: Shot fired from second-floor window of Niemeyer's townhouse into the street in Royal Palm Beach, Palm Beach County
    What happened: Damian Niemeyer, 37, was standing at his second-floor bedroom window when he heard three men outside in the parking lot. When he saw them trying to back his motorcycle into a truck, Niemeyer called 911, then yelled at them. Niemeyer said one of the men responded by pointing a gun up at the window. Niemeyer then fired his gun at the group, fatally shooting Benjy Young, 19. The other men fled the scene. The pickup truck they had been using turned out to have been stolen that evening.

Name: Damian Niemeyer
    White Male
    Age at time of incident: 37
    Victim

Name: Benjy Young
    Black Male
    Age at time of incident: 19
    Condition after incident: killed
    A couple things in here raises ?'s.1st is that one of them pointed a gun at him..but did not fire it and which one was it ? 2nd..he fired into the group of men..for all we know a hale-mary shot not knowing who he would hit..was it the one who was pointing a gun up at his room or was it one of the other 2.Myself...I think he was a little reckless firing the shot just hope'n to hit one of the 3.Now if all 3 had been pointing a gun at him..might be a little different story.I say if anything he acted reckless and should be in trouble.

case # 5

No charges filed,
    Aquitted,
    Charged
    This one is missing info. Was she still living in the home? Was her husband living in the home? Who was required to stay away from that address?
    "Huh, dude...I think we got hit by a big boat...Hey, quit bogarting the bowl, dude...why am I wet?..." -hdracer

Staples Sucks I Use Office Depot

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345