Thread: Grip position

Grip position

Can someone explain the difference of a High, Medium or Low grip on a riser? I know when i look at bows that can have different grips they have options and and if you have one made they ask what you want. So how does your wrist line up with the three? Does the high mean that you will have a straight wrist and no bend?

st1 -

Unfortunately, every manufacturer and bow maker has their own definition for what constitutes high, medium and low grips. In this picture Bear offered low medium and high grips for their old magnesium take downs. The idea is to naturally place the hand in the different positions.

However, any grip can be shot with any hand position, but it may not be as comfortable or practical.

14-13bear_grip.jpg

Viper1 out.
    “Simple and innocent, however, as it (the bow) appears, and capable as it is of being a trusty friend and ally, a bow is at the same time a watchful enemy, ready to take advantage of the smallest slight.”

Quote Originally Posted by St1ckman View Post
    Does the high mean that you will have a straight wrist and no bend?
    It forces your hand into position so its very consistent but as Viper said it can be uncomfortable. My Samick Vision 2 came with a high grip and it was very uncomfortable after a while. It didn't stay on the bow long enough for me to get use too.

don't know how you can grip a bow with a low wrist if the handle is a high wrist

St1ckman:

Actually, the 3 commonly-used wrist positions are; high wrist, straight wrist, and low wrist. Unless you are experienced shooting a trad bow you definitely do not want to use a high wrist. If you are still in the learning stage I recommend you try a low wrist; and know that a low-wrist position on a trad bow is usually not as low as is used by many on some of the newer wheel bows.

Quote Originally Posted by WindWalker View Post
    St1ckman:

Actually, the 3 commonly-used wrist positions are; high wrist, straight wrist, and low wrist. Unless you are experienced shooting a trad bow you definitely do not want to use a high wrist. If you are still in the learning stage I recommend you try a low wrist; and know that a low-wrist position on a trad bow is usually not as low as is used by many on some of the newer wheel bows.

So what would you consider the grip on he Samick Sage? That is what i have and it's the only bow i have right now so i don't have anything t compare to.

Sage has a medium grip.

ST1 -

The Sage has a medium grip, by most standards, but can be shot with a high (straight), medium (full contact) or low (heeled) bow hand. See picture (top = high, middle = medium and bottom = low).

wrist_grips.jpg

Viper1 out.
    “Simple and innocent, however, as it (the bow) appears, and capable as it is of being a trusty friend and ally, a bow is at the same time a watchful enemy, ready to take advantage of the smallest slight.”

St1ckman:

Here are some illustrations of wrist position methods accompanied by the pros and cons for each position. Which method works best for you is the way to go, depending on what type of shooting you intend to mostly pursue, but if bowhunting is your primary intention, go with a grip that is natural and comfortable for you and can readily be obtained and consistently repeated.

http://usm-archery.blogspot.com/2009...e-bow-arm.html

Thanks guys for the information.