Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Buss Twisting

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Prince Albert, Saskatchewan CANADA
    Posts
    428

    Buss Twisting

    I have changed strings on a few bows in the past and it always seems like I have to twist the buss cable to almost maximum twist to get the timing and ata correct. I recently had this same issue with a Hoyt Maaxis. The DL is fine and the timing is correct as well as the draw weight. A to A is correct and the brace height also.
    Am I missing something. I do not untwist the strings when I recveive them as they are custom and have a twist tie through them. I have never actually measured the strings before installing them either.

    The bows all shoot excellent but I am just making sure I am installing correctly.

    Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South Houston, TX
    Posts
    5,792
    It could be the string maker.

    As long as your poundage and DL is correct, forget the other measurments. They will have a variance. I recently bought a custom set of strings for a friends bow. It was a budget set and I have to put a lot of twists in the cables as well. But the poundage and DL is spot on!
    "Your Legacy is made between Yesterday and Tomorrow"
    "Here We Go Paw Paw!"-Shelby Stanga

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    292
    I stretch my strings/cables under 100 lbs of tension (hang them from a hook with 4 25lb weights tied together), and twist to factory specs before I install them. This should get you very close to your factory specs for ATA, BH, and Peak Weight. Once this is done, a twist here or there for timing purposes and draw length tweaking are all you will need to do. Be sure to check for cam lean and twist the appropriate side of the yoke to fix. After this you are ready to start tuning using whatever method you choose.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy670 View Post
    I have changed strings on a few bows in the past and it always seems like I have to twist the buss cable to almost maximum twist to get the timing and ata correct. I recently had this same issue with a Hoyt Maaxis. The DL is fine and the timing is correct as well as the draw weight. A to A is correct and the brace height also.
    Am I missing something. I do not untwist the strings when I recveive them as they are custom and have a twist tie through them. I have never actually measured the strings before installing them either.

    The bows all shoot excellent but I am just making sure I am installing correctly.

    Thanks for any help.


    What bow are we talking about?

    I have some interesting findings.
    www.nutsandboltsarchery.com
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...=who+wants+dvd
    Send me an email for DVD = $25.00....

    alanlui@comcast.net

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Posts
    298
    I have a very similar predicament and its the exact thread i was about to start. Just put a set of first string cable and string on a 2002 alpine sidewinder for my minister. I called alpine and they gave me specs of 36" ata and bh of 6". Dont have a dw scale so i dont know what its drawing for weight... but i had to add 9 twists to the cable and am stil at 36.25" ata and still a little short on bh. Should i add the remaining twists to get it to 36" or be more worred about the draw weight?? What do i do??
    [/B]
    ZERO TOLERANCE BOWSTRINGS

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ta2guru13 View Post
    I have a very similar predicament and its the exact thread i was about to start. Just put a set of first string cable and string on a 2002 alpine sidewinder for my minister. I called alpine and they gave me specs of 36" ata and bh of 6". Dont have a dw scale so i dont know what its drawing for weight... but i had to add 9 twists to the cable and am stil at 36.25" ata and still a little short on bh. Should i add the remaining twists to get it to 36" or be more worred about the draw weight?? What do i do??
    Can't tune a bow properly,
    without a spring scale.

    So,
    if you have a 60 lb draw weight bow,
    then,
    check the draw weight, with the limb bolts at maximum.

    So,
    if you ahve a 70 lb draw weight bow,
    then,
    check the draw weight with the limb bolts at maximum.


    If the draw weight is a skosh low,
    AND
    the brace height is correct...

    just a few extra twists at the bottom of the buss cable (cable with 3 end loops)
    will boost the draw weight up to spec.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.nutsandboltsarchery.com
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...=who+wants+dvd
    Send me an email for DVD = $25.00....

    alanlui@comcast.net

  7. #7
    Buss cable on Alpine Sidewinder.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.nutsandboltsarchery.com
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...=who+wants+dvd
    Send me an email for DVD = $25.00....

    alanlui@comcast.net

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Posts
    298
    Ran to the local archery shop and utilized there scale and the bow is dead on 70# like its supposed to be. so what do i do now? do i worry about bh and ata or is what they're at what we go with?
    [/B]
    ZERO TOLERANCE BOWSTRINGS

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Ta2guru13 View Post
    Ran to the local archery shop and utilized there scale and the bow is dead on 70# like its supposed to be. so what do i do now? do i worry about bh and ata or is what they're at what we go with?
    Ok.

    Since the draw weight is solid, at 70 lbs.

    Then,
    the brace height is a little low.

    HOW is your bow shooting?

    If you want to increase the Brace Height,
    you would put the bow into a portable bow press,
    and UNTWIST the bowstring LONGER.

    As you untwist the bowstring, LONGER...

    the brace height will grow,
    but...

    if you are shooting WELL,
    no need to change a thing.
    www.nutsandboltsarchery.com
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...=who+wants+dvd
    Send me an email for DVD = $25.00....

    alanlui@comcast.net

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Saskatchewan Canada
    Posts
    133
    Nuts&Bolts
    What is the difference if you twist the top of the buss cable or the bottom of the buss cable
    2011 Hoyt Carbon Element 60#-29" Realtree AP Camo with RKT cams

    QAD HDX
    Fuse Carbon Interceptor
    Easton Axis

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    3,243
    I have never seen a bow where lengthening the bowstring caused the brace height to increase, EXCEPT if the cam/cams had supressor feet and were rolled way out on the tip of the supressor foot.

    Jim Quarles

    Illegitimus non Carborundum


  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by benamen View Post
    Nuts&Bolts
    What is the difference if you twist the top of the buss cable or the bottom of the buss cable
    Buss cable has 3 end loops.

    Your choice.

    Bottom end loop is easier to work with, to make larger changes in the buss cable length.

    If you want to make smaller changes,
    just work one of the two top end loops on the buss cable.
    www.nutsandboltsarchery.com
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...=who+wants+dvd
    Send me an email for DVD = $25.00....

    alanlui@comcast.net

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by FS560 View Post
    I have never seen a bow where lengthening the bowstring caused the brace height to increase, EXCEPT if the cam/cams had supressor feet and were rolled way out on the tip of the supressor foot.
    The cams are curved profiles.

    Lengthen the bowstring,
    the cams rotate away from the riser.

    Shorten the bowstring,
    the cams rotate towards the riser.

    So,
    depending on the starting rotation position of the cams,
    when the bow is at rest,
    adjusting the length of the cam starting rotation position,
    will change the contact point of the string on the curved profile of the cam,
    and
    this changes the brace height, albeit in small amounts...

    if we are talking 2-3 twists more
    or
    if we are talking 2-3 twists less than
    the factory spec position.

    The point of the matter,
    is that is the ATA is correct,
    and the draw weight is correct...

    and the brace height is GROSSLY incorrect...
    (way off)

    then,
    we have a problem with bowstring length.
    www.nutsandboltsarchery.com
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...=who+wants+dvd
    Send me an email for DVD = $25.00....

    alanlui@comcast.net

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •