Thread: Moist summer sausage

Moist summer sausage

I use a four part venison to one part lean pork recipe, smoke about ten pounds at a time until I reach the internal temp required as written on seasoning packet. I cut the sausage into three equal pieces then vacuum seal and freeze. When I thaw the sausage out, their is to much moisture (not grease) for our taste. The texture and taste are great, its just wet.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Do you allow sausage to "cure" before you smoke?

A couple of things. Are you adding water to mix? I add only enough water to pre-mix the seasonings into a slurry. (This ensures even distribution into meat mix.

When I mix meat/seasonings, I immediately stuff into casings. Once stuffed, I keep them in the fridge for at least 24 hours. (on the open rack/shelf) This allows time for cure to do it's thing. It also allows casing to dry some and meat will firm up.

Are you cutting into it as soon as it’s thawed? I’ve noticed sausage to be much too wet when I cut into it too soon after thawing. These days I try to thaw the day before I want to eat it.
    The water should all be cooking out of the meat, so I don’t think that’s the problem.

I add the amount of water that the recipe on the seasoning packet calls for, after stuffing I put the sausages in the fridge for a day, then smoke. I usually cut the sausage up the day after I thaw it. The meat isnt greasy, its just wet. I wonder if I smoke it for another ten degrees if that would help the moisture issue.

It may, but it may also dry out your meat if you cook it too long. You'd still want to pull it at the same temp.