a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Ladies Annual Hunt

Question Ladies Annual Hunt

Hey Girls! What do you think about a ladies only annual hunt? Each year we would offer the hunt in a different location. I haven't put together all of the details just yet, but I'm thinking about having it be limited in number, taking suggestions for location/game and applications a year in advance, hosted by Two Bows LLC (we would pay for the outfitter/ranch stay) and provide a few new garments to those who apply. I've never been hunting outside of Michigan and Wisconsin so the US would even be big for me. But I really want to go to Africa!

Give me your thoughts and I will get this ball rolling!

Jess

Fabulous idea!!!

What have you hunted so far? I've been raised on whitetails, and my little brother beat me out to the Elk in Colorado. Little stinker.

Sounds good to me, just have to know WAY ahead of time to get money saved and time off work!!
    Welcome to Tennessee....Patron state of shooting stuff

I have only hunted white tails but will be going after a "thunder chicken" when our archery season opens on the 8th. The hubby and I are looking into an elk and a caribou hunt.

IMO I think the best way to go about this is a decent Preserve (High Fence). A good preserve can accomodate all skill levels and offer hunts at rates way more affordable than a hunt out west. It might also be best to split the nation east and west. With all the responsibilities and financial reality we all face, closer is better. Heck, many from NY would have a hard enough time making to Pennsylvania let alone Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by doegirl View Post
    IMO I think the best way to go about this is a decent Preserve (High Fence). A good preserve can accomodate all skill levels and offer hunts at rates way more affordable than a hunt out west. It might also be best to split the nation east and west. With all the responsibilities and financial reality we all face, closer is better. Heck, many from NY would have a hard enough time making to Pennsylvania let alone Texas.
    Count me out then. I will not hunt fenced animals.

And no I do not want to turn this into a game farm vs wild hunt argument. It is just my own strong personal belief to not hunt fenced animals or those that are "baited" by a feeder. Others have their right to hunt as they choose.

Quote Originally Posted by MN Huntress View Post
    And no I do not want to turn this into a game farm vs wild hunt argument. It is just my own strong personal belief to not hunt fenced animals or those that are "baited" by a feeder. Others have their right to hunt as they choose.
    I agree on this point. Here we find trails, acorns and climb a tree in hopes we see something. I guess it is just in how you have grown up hunting or started hunting. In Tennessee you can have feeders out until 10 days before the season starts. My brother lives in Texas and hunts over feeders, he came here to hunt with us and experienced a whole other world...lol..it was funny.

I would like to go on a hunt with a bunch of ladies, I got a chance to do that last year at Mountain View Plantation in Alabama and it was nice, relaxing and comfortable. The rooms are excellent and they take you to your stand and pick you up. The food was wonderful also. You can also buy your non resident licence over the counter, a three day license is $120. Not bad. I saw deer but never got a shot on anything but it was nice and relaxing to get away for a few days.

[QUOTE=jmtompki;1064013108]Hey Girls! What do you think about a ladies only annual hunt? Each year we would offer the hunt in a different location. I haven't put together all of the details just yet, but I'm thinking about having it be limited in number, taking suggestions for location/game and applications a year in advance, hosted by Two Bows LLC (we would pay for the outfitter/ranch stay) and provide a few new garments to those who apply. I've never been hunting outside of Michigan and Wisconsin so the US would even be big for me. But I really want to go to Africa!

Give me your thoughts and I will get this ball rolling!

Jess

Great idea...I'm in!!!!! Currently moving from Hawaii to Colorado (expected to be there the week of August 8) and am already doing similar research regarding hunting seasons, game restrictions, so on and so forth. I have yet to shoot anything outside the state of Hawaii, and am willing to travel to do so (with advanced notice). Let me know if Colorado would be a starting point for the annual hunt, and I'll start heavily researching and pass the info on to you

I would love to go. I am not a high fence lady either, but I would like to get together with the ladies and do a little HUNT'N.. Sounds like fun.

Call me crazy, but I find it hard to cough up money of what would probably be little more than an expensive social event. Between outfitter fees and/or lodging, gas, and out of state tags, you already made this out of the reach of many. If your thinking is to camp out on public land, say in Ohio, great. The odds are stacked against you but at least you will enjoy the scenery. Personally, I'll save the gas money and whack a rose bush muncher in a Cleveland suburb.
    BTW, how many of you actually hunted high fence? Any of you? I have and they can be some of the hardest hunts you will ever encounter.
    My husband was avidly anti-fence until a preserve owner challenged him to a hunt. The only caveat was he could not park his butt over a feeder, which the preserve owner didn't allow anyways. He had an entire week to kill a hog with his bow. If he was successful, the hunt's free, if not, he was to pay full boat.
    He lost.
    There, horse officially clobbered to death. Not trying to be negative but devil is in the details and cost is going to be a huge factor.

Perhaps to those that are interested it could be divided up into sections of the country, there are outfitters everywhere, even here where I live..amazingly enough. My event last year was less than social, with internet on cell phones most of the women retreated to their room and was on their phone..I can't even remember everyones name and there were only 11 there. My roomate was the only one I got to talk to and now she and I are good friends. I have been invited to her place to whack and stack some does.

This has been tried on here before and is usually a bust because everyone is so far away from each other...My buddy DeeS is all the way out in Montana...but I have an open invite to go to her place anytime I can for an elk hunt and of course she can come here anytime she wants.

So on that note I will sidestep any more conversation on the subject. Good luck and if it is close to me I may be in. Chances are it won't be anywhere close to me. Too bad, I am fun!!

Call me crazy, but I find it hard to cough up money of what would probably be little more than an expensive social event. Between outfitter fees and/or lodging, gas, and out of state tags, you already made this out of the reach of many. If your thinking is to camp out on public land, say in Ohio, great. The odds are stacked against you but at least you will enjoy the scenery. Personally, I'll save the gas money and whack a rose bush muncher in a Cleveland suburb.
    BTW, how many of you actually hunted high fence? Any of you? I have and they can be some of the hardest hunts you will ever encounter.
    My husband was avidly anti-fence until a preserve owner challenged him to a hunt. The only caveat was he could not park his butt over a feeder, which the preserve owner didn't allow anyways. He had an entire week to kill a hog with his bow. If he was successful, the hunt's free, if not, he was to pay full boat.
    He lost.
    There, horse officially clobbered to death. Not trying to be negative but devil is in the details and cost is going to be a huge factor.
    As I said I AM against fenced hunts. I have that right. I personally do not care how difficult they may or may not be. I like the odds stacked against me. In my opinion that is why it is called HUNTING not KILLING. when I hunt I want the animal to have every advantage, not me. It's one reason I will not hunt with a gun or cross bow either.
    * ok stepping off soap box now * my appologise to the OP for hijacking the thread.

As I said I AM against fenced hunts. I have that right. I personally do not care how difficult they may or may not be. I like the odds stacked against me. In my opinion that is why it is called HUNTING not KILLING. when I hunt I want the animal to have every advantage, not me. It's one reason I will not hunt with a gun or cross bow either.
    * ok stepping off soap box now * my appologise to the OP for hijacking the thread.
    While I disagree with you on about every point you made, I do respect your opinion.

One thought I had is going with a lodge for feral hog in Florida or Texas. Reasonable rates, good meat, hunting in a t-shirt. Hunt the mornings, get together in the afternoon.

While I disagree with you on about every point you made, I do respect your opinion.

One thought I had is going with a lodge for feral hog in Florida or Texas. Reasonable rates, good meat, hunting in a t-shirt. Hunt the mornings, get together in the afternoon.
    That's the beauty of America... we can agree to disagree and are allowed to have our own opinions
    And respect each other even with differences.
    Ok that being said I do like the idea of a hog hunt. The husband and I were going to do one in Tennessee until I read the fine print and it said must be able to draw 60 lbs. Yep, that left me out. A Colorado hunt sounds pretty dang fabulous too

That's the beauty of America... we can agree to disagree and are allowed to have our own opinions
    And respect each other even with differences.
    Ok that being said I do like the idea of a hog hunt. The husband and I were going to do one in Tennessee until I read the fine print and it said must be able to draw 60 lbs. Yep, that left me out. A Colorado hunt sounds pretty dang fabulous too
    Tennessee has no draw weight requirement for bow hunting. The outfitter may have thought you need that much...was it in Crossville? I know there is a place there that has them. Now our TWRA has nicely taken away our privelege to kill feral hogs if we are out hunting. Luckily they have not made it to where we live yet but if they stop the hunting the hogs will soon become rampant.

I can't remember the exact place in Tennessee but it was for a filmed hunt. I couldn't believe that the limit was so high but that's what requirement was according to their site. I was really bummed

I like all of the input you have been giving, its nice to see different angles of people's point of view... I am going to try and turn it around a little haha. When we have two-bows.com up and running, there will be a page about the Events that we run. There are two major annual events we want to host; (1) the ladies' hunt, which is has limited number of hunters and requires an application and would be on the more expensive side of things, and (2) the family range day, which would be open to ladies and their families, have a larger number of attendees and would be much less expensive. None of these details have been set in stone by far.

When my Dad took my little brother to Colorado for Elk, they went through Sable Mountain Outfitters and they really enjoyed it! They were taken out to their camp location on horses and the scenery in their photos were gorgeous! If I remember right, the woman who owns the company ran it with her husband who was killed in an accident on their ranch, so supporting her and her young kids was a big plus for my family and friends who went out there. My dad mailed an apple and a letter back to the ranch for the horse and the woman after he got back. haha http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sable-...10793505628292

Quote Originally Posted by jmtompki View Post
    I like all of the input you have been giving, its nice to see different angles of people's point of view... I am going to try and turn it around a little haha. When we have two-bows.com up and running, there will be a page about the Events that we run. There are two major annual events we want to host; (1) the ladies' hunt, which is has limited number of hunters and requires an application and would be on the more expensive side of things, and (2) the family range day, which would be open to ladies and their families, have a larger number of attendees and would be much less expensive. None of these details have been set in stone by far.
    I am def interested in the women's hunt. My only restriction is my husband and I own a resort so from May 1st to Sept 30 I cannot get away. And I am taking my 3 older girls to hermosa beach California the first part of Oct. After that I am totally free