Thread: Pacing Targets At ASA Pro Am

Pacing Targets At ASA Pro Am

A fellow I shoot with shot the team shoot at an ASA pro am. The pro he shot with assured him that it was not against the rules to step off the distance from the stake to the target or from the target to the stake after you had shot that target. I always thought there was language in the rules that prohibited that practice. But I cannot find that in the rules. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Yes it is against the rules. Not sure how you can enforce it and read someone mind. I pretty well know what the distance is after my shot. It is in the rules.
    DB
    Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

Same DB. Of course if someone were to be too quiet walking back you could jerk his or her chain

Pearson MarXman, Limb Driver, Muddy Virtue HT3s, Bohning vanes, Sure Loc Challenger,
    Super Ball Peep, Stanislawski MagMicro Trio, Onyx, Blackjack and TRU Ball ST360, 30" Cartel.

Heck...you don't have to pace the distance...just get one of those new Alpen Binos with the rangefinder in it LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Davik View Post
    Heck...you don't have to pace the distance...just get one of those new Alpen Binos with the rangefinder in it LOL!
    They are called MV's..........
    "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
    Know when to walk away and know when to run.
    You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table."
    Supra ME,[/COLOR] DNA SP
    Stan ShootOff and JustX releases for hunting, foam and paper!

It is completely against the rules to step off the target....whatever pro told him its not must not know much of the rules
    In God we Trust all others pay CASH

I message from my phone...so posts are short and sweet . No need for grammar , figure it out man.

I don't shoot ASA as they are nowhere near here but interested to know why you can't pace off after everyone has shot? No one can gain advantage as the target is done so why would it be against the rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigjono View Post
    I don't shoot ASA as they are nowhere near here but interested to know why you can't pace off after everyone has shot? No one can gain advantage as the target is done so why would it be against the rules?
    at asa you can view the next target from the target you've just shot. ibo doesn't make viewing the next target very easy. at least that's what i think.
    Can you point me toward the target, please?

you are correct, you can view the next target 99% of the time, and even tho the next group is not suppose to move over the the stake until you are gone, they can still watch you walk back and count your steps along with you, and their are some wise ole goats out there that use every trik in the book, and are very very quiet about it, some shoot well others don't so what to do.... but you are not suppose to step off the targets at ASA events..

Show-Me State..on a little pond called Lake Pomme De Terre
    Quick fix,hold ASA shoots at places that are big enough that they can spread them out to not be visible from each other.
    Taxidermist/ commercial tannery owner and bow tuning shop 32 yrs and running... I shoot them all,and just pick the one that likes me!!!!

I guess I'm just too simple minded to step off a target (accurately) then go to the next target and calculate the difference.. I'll just have to keep taking My chances "Guessing" them one at a time..lol

Quote Originally Posted by D.Short View Post
    Quick fix,hold ASA shoots at places that are big enough that they can spread them out to not be visible from each other.
    Sounds simple to say that. Making everone skip a target in ranges would stop this.
    DB
    Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

When walking back to the target just say random numbers out loud to mess him up. 92, 84, 48, 76, 1023! That will mess him up everytime!!

Happens all the time in Open C

Someone walks back from the stake, how do you enforce a rule of no stepping them off unless they are counting outloud. It is easy enough to shoot the target and look at the next one and say that it is 4 yards further or 8 yards shorter. They do get some high scores at ASA shoots don't they. Wait a minute, I shoot K45 they write down the yardage for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    Sounds simple to say that. Making everone skip a target in ranges would stop this.
    DB
    i think was discussed before but nothing came of it. forget why some folks said it wouldn't work.
    Can you point me toward the target, please?

Pro class use to skip a target, do they not do that anymore?

pros do still shoot alternating stakes as do semi pro and open A most of the time