Archery Talk Forum banner

did i make the right call

5K views 83 replies 47 participants last post by  dgmeadows 
#1 ·
this is my second year in asa and shooting open a,i guy in my group who we will call "nuclear" was letting down and the arrow came off and landed about 8 feet away. he said he could reshoot it,i stated i beleive the rule is if the arrow is propeled then it is an x. i said to ask the range official to rule on it and he said it was an x. after that he would not talk to us and stood in onther group with his "nuclear buddies" and bad mouth me. after the shoot he was talking with a mutual friend and called me every name in the book and how every body in open a hates me. its hard to go to kentucky with waiting on me,so did i make the right call or not?

#2 ·
Yes you made the right call, don't worry about what they are saying about you, bc you didn't right the rules. Everybody on here talked bad about the guy with the range finder in semi pro, but as far as im concerned cheating is cheating. Good call.

#3 ·
congratulations on having the cajones to stand up to this guy. you'd be welcome to shoot in my group anytime. imho he needs to man up and apologize to you...publicly. but i wouldn't hold my breath. it begs the old question, why are there so many more horses azzez in this world than there are horses.

#4 ·
I know you did the right thing, I would make the same call as you did. I hope more Archers will follow your lead and stop all of the cheaters that hurt our sport.

#6 ·
I wouldn't concern myself with it... I think some people would've let "him" specifically reshoot it to keep him from whining and for the fact that 10 points meant at most the difference in finishing 50th or 80th for him so they would've taken the "his score has no relevance road"

#7 ·
Yep, right call. if he would have let down all the way and arrow fell off within reach of stob he could get have reshow it. Glad you made the call.

#25 ·
Can you please show me where in the rule book it says if you can reach it from the stake. I've been told it wasn't there. I could've reached it by just bending over.

#8 ·
Character and class is what you do when no one is looking. You can sleep tonight knowing you did the correct thing. If some guy is a cheater he will cheat people on the archery range and everywhere else in life. Some folks just can't take accountability for their own actions. Good job on your part!

#10 ·
Congratulations, on being a decent man. It shouldn't be unusual for doing nothing more than what should be typical but it sure seems to be.

You did NOT make the call. The range official did so if he has a problem with it he should talk to an ASA official.
He shouldn't be making a big deal out of it. It sucks when we make a mistake but it happens.

To all the guys bad mouthing bowden67, HE DID NOT MAKE THE RULES OR THE CALL!.

#11 ·
We talked for over a hour on the way home about all of the decisions made while scoring and the different ways a group could change as the weekend played out. This instance of a guy chucking a arrow a few feet is just another thing some guys want to do to hide the fact that their weekend just went down the toilet.

I have been going over my weekend in my head and I shot awesome and had 36 great stakes where things worked out perfect but there were 4 shots that didn't go my way and I got 22nd place and any one of those shots could have bumped me up 5 or 6 places and nocked some guys down so It isn't fair to them if my group had been leanient on our decisions.

#13 ·
He a cheater, plan and simple. You called it like the rules stated and range official backed you up.

Sad for some to be this way.
DB

#15 ·
Don't forget the more this idiot tells his story he is spreading how stupid he is and you don't have to do anything because even his buddies know he was wrong but they will go along with it to his face but probably bash him behind his back. We all know you can't accidently release a arrow and that it is a 0, so does he.

#16 ·
Had a Guy in Our group completely let down, and the arrow just kind of plucked off the string.. It only went about 5 or 6 feet, but then it flipped end over end a couple times and ended up 10-12 feet away.. He knew it was an X but, We talked Him into going to ask the Range Official, just to clarify.. I really wish this rule could be altered but, I realize You have to draw the line somewhere.. It's just Unfortunate when Everybody realizes it's not a "Shot"..

#19 ·
I agree. There are lots of issues where enforcing the "letter of the law" really puts us at odds with the intention or "spirit of the law."

I shot a practice round recently where we discussed this very thing. My friend let down the bow in a controlled, deliberate manner. The arrow fell off and we both knew the rules well but interpreted them differently. He had read it to mean that he had a zero even though the letdown was controlled and the arrow was laying within a couple feet of his feet. My interpretation hinges on the word "propelled". The arrow fell off, not propelled off. I told him to pick the arrow up, shoot and score it.

In LA this year, I went to let down the bow and misfired. Mine was clearly propelled though. What can you do?........suck it up and do your best going forward.

In my opinion, the word "propelled" is about as good as the line can be drawn. There will be instances like your example where it's unfortunate that "it wasn't really a botched shot" but it will catch the vast majority of the instances that it should.

To the OP, it really sounds like you did the right thing and the guy in question doesn't belong in our sport until he grows up. Only going 8 feet, his was probably one of those in the grey area but it clearly had to have been "propelled" to get that far.

#18 ·
We'll obviously never know for sure, but...here we go again....MORE tournaments where the clearly defined rules are being skirted, or at least people are "bullying" their way or trying to bully their way into getting ILLEGAL accommodations for their screw ups.

Whatever happened to the honor code and ethics? It seems to be more and more that CHEATING isn't really being considered as anything serious at all.

Who's to say just how much of this is really going on, especially on an outdoor event? You know the adage, What happens in XXXX, STAYS in XXXX. So, anything could be going on to "accommodate" somebody's ILLEGAL screw up and to give them the mulligan and go on like nothing ever happened.

I've read that in several data polls, that 85% of kids in school have either cheated or would cheat on tests and exams, and don't seen anything really wrong with it. Some kids call it "networking" to help each other out. I know for a fact that most don't see anything wrong with "borrowing" stuff from the internet and calling it their own work...and then squawk when they are 'docked' for plagiarism.
Apparently, there is little to no honor among the thieves of today....

CHEATING is a worrisome thing, since it is going on in schools, business, banking, you name it....and apparently it is becoming more of a common practice also. Is it acceptable? Apparently so, since those doing it, even when caught, get a slap on the wrist, and in some cases still end up with getting a "mulligan" and a chance to try again!

field14 (Tom D.)

#20 ·
Good call Bowden! This shooter from Jax FL who is sponsored by "Nuclear Bowstrings" ows you an appology. He's mad because he was trying to bully the group into allowing him to cheat and got busted for it...too bad "Nuclear". Everyone participating in these events works too hard and spends too much money to be beat by a cheater. Bowden is welcome to shoot with me anytime...

#21 ·
I was in the group next to him and was there when it happened. To say the arrow landed 8 feet away is an over exageration. He let the bow down all the way. When he took his release off the string the arrow fell to his feet and he could easily reach it from the stake. Was it propelled the string? Maybe maybe not. His release may have just bumped it off. I seen the whole thing. I would also be careful of calling someone a cheater because of a call. Most of the semi pros and open a shooters who also saw the event said that they would have not called it that way that I spoke to.

#22 ·
Well since I'm the shooter in question why don't you ask my side of the story. I'm no cheater, but you choose which rules to follow yourself. I tried to enforce the cell phone rule with another shooter in our group, you didn't want to. I tried to enforce the stepping off targets with same shooter, you didn't want to. Don't pick and choose rules to suite your personal agenda, I'm for one sick of hearing you bad mouth a friend of mine. If you want to air this in the public, let's!!! You were the only one that said it was a shot, the range official explained the rule and you were the only one in the group that decided what you did. The other two said it wasn't. Yes I did not sit around our group after this. This is the 3rd time I shot with you. Do not loop me in with cheating, you pulled your rangefinder out at a qualifier many times along with everyone inte group I walked away when yall choose to so that. You discuss yardage at every target you missed this weekend and before. Follow the rules to the letter or not at all. Don't hate on me because people that saw your shooting, saw your attitude, and made their own opinions.

The bow was at rest, I was all the way down, I was removing the release from the loop with it caused it...it was seen by more than just you. I took my zero and wasn't happy about it.

Daniel Boone I don't appreciate that comment, he has his own agenda.

#23 ·
This is exactly why if I am not directly involved in a situation ie on the bale where an infraction occurred or have direct knowledge of what may have occurred, I tend to keep my opinions to myself. There are always two sides to every story and the one we read about on these types of forums may not always be the most complete version. Be careful before we turn this site into a vigilante free for all. :wink:

#24 ·
I was also the first one to call it a zero until I was told by others including 2 in my group that it wasn't.

If you know me personally I'm no cheater, I don't circumvent the rules and don't try to argue for better arrow calls. I've been in the situation when people called my arrows in and I argued theyre out.

Robert I hope you have a great rest of the year. But this was uncalled for, I honestly had to keep people from telling you a few choice words yesterday on the range after this incident. I have no bad feelings against you, I just don't like you as a person. You bad mouth people I'm personal friends with. I hope you continue to get better as a shooter and a person.

#28 ·
This rule was was changed in its wording from years before: calling letdown and if the arrow being shot ...and or a person aiming down at the ground and shooting it.

We changed the rule for the safety issue that these senerios were causing.

I was not there nor was I in his group. But, I will say this. A) the range official is the governing factor to the rules and your group is to police theirselves.

Now, for situtation: A) if said archer was letting down and the bow was at rest, and say you bumped or struck the string ....This would not be a shot arrow. (This is call arrow falling off the rest/string)

Situation B) If you were letting down and at any moment before the arrow/ bow was at a rest state.....and the arrow did launch , that is a shot arrow.

Now, I know both of these shooters.
Doug....is not a cheater.....So, Dan that was not really needed, to incinuate that action.
Bob..... You know Doug is not a cheater as well. So, to bring something like this up , really is not needed.
We all shoot in the same state...... let's just chaulk it up to a misunderstanding......and we can shoot up at the state shoot: )

#30 ·
I shoot semi pro and heard a slightly different version, after the fact obviously. I was told that reaching the arrow would require you laying on your belly and dragging it toward you with another object, i.e an umbrella. A friend of mine is a range official (on a different range) and he insists that if the arrow has been nocked and falls off in any manner, it's a zero....I don't think it's spelled out quite that clearly in the rules though. I too would like 12sonly to paste the rule.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.