Thread: European Mount issue

European Mount issue

I am having a issue with the smell of my european mount.. any idea how to get the horrible stench out of the heads after they have been beetled?????

Jen

After you degrease and whiten the skull the odor will be gone.

Ok I am degreasing and whitening but even after that I have a smell in the nasal cavity.. any ideas?

Assuming the brain was removed?
    If you stick a pressure washer, or the nozzle at the car wash in the back of the skull then you can blow most gunk out of the nose. (Might ruin the small nose bones though)
    Also, check behind the "Ear" bone, there is a cavity back there that'll hold smell for a long time if it's not cleaned out right.

How are you degreasing? I use acetone or clear dawn soap and 10% ammonia heated with a bucket heater. As long as the skull is completely degreased I've never had an odor problem. Don't heat the acetone.

Yes the brain was removed. I use a brass attachment that hooks up to the sink so it is high pressure it just isn't so high it blows the nasal cavity apart. I am degreasing with water and dawn at a temp of 130*.. will have to try the ammonia! The smell isn't so bad it makes you sick it is just enough to be there lol Thanks ya'll Jen

I add a little ammonia to the first 2 or 3 degreasing baths, after that the smell is normally gone.....you may have pulled out of the beetles to early and still have some rotting meat in there somewhere.....I have also gotten a foul smell from water being absorbed into the antlers, I usually coat them with latex or silicone to keep the water from penetrating them...either way after it is degreased and a good drying all smell should be gone.....
    White Skullz Taxidermy
    Northeast Big Buck club ( official measurer)
    Apparition Scents - field team member

Thanks so much for the advice!!