Thread: Use string silencers or not?

Use string silencers or not?

I have a BowTech D350 and I am wondering how many guys hunt with no string silencers just string suppressors? It sounds pretty quiet when I shoot but it's hard to tell. The specs are in my signature. Thanks.
    2011 Bowtech Destroyer 350

Put some type of string suppressor on whether it be string leeches, monkey tails, or bowjax and there will be a difference.

If my hunting bow is loud enough imo I put catwhiskers on...most of my bows are pretty quite without using them..most of the noise comes from my dropaway rests...not much you can do about that..
    2012 HOYT VECTOR TURBO 50# #3B CAM
    2013 MATHEWS HELIM 50# 28.5 DL
    FRED BEAR BARSALINO T/D 60# 28.5 DL

They are not neccessary with today's bows.

I have Monkey tails on mine, I've got them right tight to the speed nocks.....quieted it down quite a bit.
    www.bowfitters.net....219-775-8446
    Bow Fitter's service order form
    Strings and tuning info/pricing....click here

Thanks for the replies. I have some monkey tails and cat whiskers so I guess I will experiment alittle.

I always try to avoid any sinencers on my stings if the bow is quiet enough to begin with.

BTW, Destroyers are very sensitive to any weight on their strings.

Skeet.
    I cut my arrows twice and they're still too short.

You cannot hit what you cannot see.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter 58 View Post
    I always try to avoid any sinencers on my stings if the bow is quiet enough to begin with.

BTW, Destroyers are very sensitive to any weight on their strings.

Skeet.
    Yup.

Made a huge difference on my GT-500. Havent put them on the SR-71 as it is pretty quiet without them.
    Strother Archery, Vortex Optics, Trophy Taker rests, Montana Black Gold, Scott Releases, Predator Camoflage, Horn Hunter packs, Sitka Gear

Skeeter, do you mean sensitive as in speed loss or tuning issues?

Quote Originally Posted by WVB4 View Post
    Skeeter, do you mean sensitive as in speed loss or tuning issues?
    He means speed loss

70# CRX 32 blackout
    Axcel armortech-hd, doinker tactical stabalizer, G5 expert II, Fuse ventera shorty,
    470gr easton axis n-fused 340 @16% f.o.c, QAD EXODUS

there is a video on YouTube a guy shoots a bow with and without monkey tails you can clearly hear the difference

PSE EVO 6

I use them. I want my bow as quiet as possible.
    Bernie's Control Freak Stabilizers staff shooter

Don't use them, only rubber deals are on the cable slide and the limbs but are stock so will keep them on.
    2013 Hoyt spyder turbo, 70lbs black out
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Spot Hogg Wiseguy release, Easton FMJ's

2013 pse omen max stormy hardwoods 60#
    Team whack'em and stack'em, aka "dookie soiled loincloth"

Use speed nocks, they dampen vibration of the string and increase speed by 4-8 fps. Place them 4" from the axle measured on the diagonal. I usually end up using four but start with two, chrono the bow, if faster or same add a nock, if faster or same add another until you get gain in speed. When adding one slows the bow, take it off and leave the rest.
    This does quiet the string by reducing vibration and increases speed. I use the large nocks with red cushioning.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

With today's bows I don't believe its really necessary anymore but then again its all personal preference. Bottom line is if you like them and want them then put them on!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
    201e Strother Moxie
    2014 Obsession Phoenix

IMHO a bow can never be too quiet.
    Elite Archery Pro Staff - Winners Choice Pro Staff - Muzzy Pro Staff - Tightspot Pro Staff - BowAdx Pro Staff
    Professional Hunter & Guide - Outdoor Writer / BUNDU BOWSHOP - VRYHEID KZN

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2 View Post
    If my hunting bow is loud enough imo I put catwhiskers on...most of my bows are pretty quite without using them..most of the noise comes from my dropaway rests...not much you can do about that..
    Oh yes there is.........That's the main reason I don't shoot one. It kinda’ cracks me up that everyone "thinks" they need all the high tech stuff to hunt but we have been spoon fed that for quiet a while so many folks close their eyes and gobble it up. Plus you gotta' keep up with the Jones' and add all the latest a greatest to the bow right?

I'm not bustin' on you I'm just making the point people shot 300's and killed all kinds of critters before the drop away and D-loops and even before light carbon arrows were around......sure all the stuff gives you slight advantages but your hunting skills are by FAR the most valuable asset not the equipment.

Many folks would be better served spending the extra time in the woods rather than worrying about what's on the bow.
    Bowtech Commander
    (Compound Traditionalist…and inconspicuous Old Timer)
    Bear Super Kodiak

Quote Originally Posted by BP1992 View Post
    They are not neccessary with today's bows.
    x2. I dont get to many 3d shoots but people always comment that my bow is quiet for not having any silencers on it. Speed nocks on string but i dont think they help with noise. No limb silencers. No rubber on my stab, just carbon rod and a bunch of metal at the end. Love seeing the people with monkey tails, bow jax, and rubber add ons all over everything.

I dont use any string silencers anymore. A few years back I always did but I dont bother with todays newer bows.

ttt