Thread: Some Hummingbirds

Some Hummingbirds

Hi I am new to the forums, I used to bowhunt years ago. I am a cnc programmer and used to work for Blue Mountain Archery, doing some design programming and prototype work. My son has shown some interest in archery so I thought I would get on here and see what I have missed in the last 15 years. It looks like a lot. I got into photography about 6 years ago as a hobby and really enjoy it. Here are a few of my favorite hummingbird shots I have taken.

Great pics
    Brian
    Mathews Z7 28/65#

Thanks Brian

These were all taken with a Canon 40d and 100-400L

Very nice rg, the third is the best of the set. Well done !! I also take a few hummer photos. Waiting on them to show up. Should be here in the next week or so.

Cool! we got another topnotch photo guru onboard. I always like what the good guys put on here
    Owner: **Precision Tune ** When good enough just ain't good enough!

Thanks That one was published in birds and blooms as a semi final in their backyard photo contest. I would have liked a little more area to crop but a leaf blew into the foreground and kinda made me tighten it up a little more than I would have liked. This was my favorite but the leaf really ruined it.

I am waiting too, this has been a strange year with the weather , I hope they show up on time, usually it is the first week in may. I normally get a few calliope, then a break for a few weeks then my nesting rufous female and a nesting blackchinned. A month later the males fly thru to woo them. lol

Well done and welcome to the forum. I am going to try and get a few hummer photos on the bee balm in my backyard this summer. I just added a Canon 400 F5.6L to my gear bag.

Any tricks or strategies you can share on how you setup for these photos?

Thanks

I shoot in servo mode, the 400 5.6 is an excellent choice, probably better for these than the 100-400 because of the faster AF. I shoot all manual with auto WB.
    I try to keep the iso at 400 or lower to prevent noise. I use natural light, no flash and try to keep the speed at 1/400 or faster, which usually means running wide open f 5.6
    For perchered stuff you can run a little slower shutter. I shoot from a tripod with a loose ball head.

For in flight stuff I try to let them start feeding, they generally pop in and out of the flower or feeder to almost the same spot each time, then I just time it out. I try to set up my yard with some small branches so they have a vantage point, they will usually perch and scope out their territory, it won't take long to figure out what is their favorite spot to sit. I try to pick shooting spots, to utilize background, and light with the feeders, flowers, and perches. The water shots, I set up a little fountain, and have a blind positioned just a little beyond minimum focusing distance. To get good detail, the closer you are the better. I know some guys that use macro rings on the 400mm f5.6 to get in even closer. I hope this helps.

I have the same camera and lens.
    Brian
    Mathews Z7 28/65#

Certainly good info, thanks for sharing. It is finally starting to warm up a bit here in wisconsin so hopefully i can try this out soon. I think my dad has a set of those kenko tubes, are those the macros or whatever you were mentioning i could try.

They are called extension tubes and help to increase minimum focusing distance
    Brian
    Mathews Z7 28/65#

yes macro tubes, i didn't think that sounded right when I typed it. I always forget how small they are, every spring I am amazed all over again.
    This is what it looks like uncropped. The nozzle is not a garden hose, it is a 1/2 in diameter brass fitting. Taken at 400mm from less than 9 ft away.

Very nice pics! Great captures! Welcome to AT. Come up to Mutantville and share some more in 'your favorite pics' thread, and '365 day' thread.

Thank you
    I posted a few there, you have some really nice stuff.

Beautiful pictures... I love how accessible photography has become. The talented, creative people with the eye can take the pictures now!

Thanks Nick I agree, I love the fact people can practice and grow with the digital format, I would have given up long ago with film.
    When I look at the price of good telephotos, it makes me wonder if camera companys are trying to make it unaccessible sometimes.
    At least they seem to hold their value, I have bought a few used lenses over the years, tried them for a year or so, then sold them and,
    didn't lose anything, just shipping and insurance to borrow them for a year.

Incredible pics! I just saw our first hummingbird today. It was a female ruby throut.

Thanks , I am still waiting for mine this year. Should be soon.