Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ready to quit...cant...wont

Dang, those target shots look pretty good to me! Maybe you are being too hard on yourself. I was shootin fairly well lately,......then I buried one in the grass the other day. I'm still looking for it. It happens. Take a break. Clear your mind. Come back to it in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by BOHO View Post
    thats quite a jump. 10 yards to 20 and nothing in between. start at 10 everyday and only back up 3 steps at a time. also shooting groups killed me. try 1 arrow at a time and shoot it like your shooting a booner. I think that will help.

Excellent advice,could not have said it better.

Let me get this straight. Shooting for two months. 8" group at 20 yards and ready to throw in the towel. Come on. I've been shooting since 1955 and probably couldn't shoot a group too much better at 20 yards. But I can hit a deer at 20 yards and a stump at 40 yards so I'm a happy camper.

My advice is to get a coach. In lieu of a coach find someone local who knows how to shoot and ask him for help.

Quote Originally Posted by jbw59 View Post
    I would hazard a guess that no one on this thread wants to excel at this sport more than I do. I would also guess that maybe no one has put in more practice time than I have over the last two months. But as Jesus is my savior, I cannot figure out how to shoot this m$%^er f$%@in bow. If I weren't so determined not to let it win, I would wrap this damn thing around a tree. I'm bustin my ars and I'm getting worse! The equipment is fine. The arrows are spined correctly. At this point, I'm going to have to start all over and it's making me apoplectic. I keep waiting for the light to go off and everything to come together but it never does. Now, just to let you know, I'm not without athletic ability or coordination. But holy $%^&, this is worse than golf. I need medication. Gonna get Viper's book back from a friend of mine that I lent it to. Just do me one favor, don't tell me to blind bail. I've tried it and can't get anything out of it.
    give me a break , ive been shooting for 2 years and shoot groups worse then that yet
    09' Diamond Iceman
    Samick Sage
    07' Parker Hornet
    Hoyt Excel

I speak for your bow and say, "Don't give up! Good things are coming as soon as you relax."
    Seriously slow down, enjoy yourself and everything will work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper1 View Post
    What you're doing isn't working, right?

You don't know what's going wrong, right?

Try a sight and shoot your from by the numbers. The sight will at least take "aiming" out of the equation.

You can't fix something if you don't know what that something is.

If you can share a video with us of you shooting your bow...that may help us better advise you.

Ray

Find a way to make it fun.

Some archer's will actually improve their shooting by focusing on each aspect of their shoot sequence, which is basically running through a check list as they draw and shoot their bow.

Don't continue to shoot when you feel fatigued or when you know you aren't being consistent with your form. Rest, recover or try fixing your inconsistentcy while not being fatigued.

Do NOT dwell on a bad shot. Accept it. Learn from it. Apply what you learned and move on.

Ray

All of the people who have answered your posts are well intentioned, but they can't really help you. If this is something you want to continue to pursue, and you are unhappy with the results you are getting on your own, find a coach or instructor. They're really not that hard to find.

Good luck

Rick Welch technique is a good place to start.I had the same problems as you and using his technique has totally transformed my shooting.

Was told from the get go, it will take time, dont get frustrated, expect bigger shot patterns than with a compound. I'm lovin it, set goal of hunting with it this fall, hopefully i get there, if not theres next year. Like Harley say;s ,it's not the destination, its the journey

I agree with making it fun, sometimes I whip out some balloons, but usually I shoot at a dot placed on a ping pong ball which on a string when I'm working to improve my accuracy, it gets really boring shooting the same targets day after day, after day ,after day, after day, after......well....see it even gets boring to read about........

I get into slumps like this also. seems like the more I shoot the worse I get. Try taking a day/week off and just shoot for fun.

My fix is to make a bunch of cheap dowel arrows, head out into the woods and just go stumping in the woods while scouting. It's good fun, keeps your muscles in shape and if I lose a few arrows, its no big deal.

As others have said, this should be fun.

One tip is to shoot with a buddy or buddies occaisionally. We do it each Sunday at a 3-D shoot and have a ball. It is like our Sunday outing we all look forward to.

jwb,

If I’m seeing your 20 yard group right, it looks likes a 20. Now if I’m seeing right, that means a 240. That ain’t bad all things considered. :^)

Curious… do you feel any apprehension when you move back to 20? A lack of confidence and some apprehension could account for your groups opening some.

From this view, I’d say just keep on, keep’n on. You’re on the right track.
    Form is everything.

Thanks for all the encouragement. Except for the fishing suggestion. I couldn't catch a fish in a grocery store. I took a step back, got vipers book out, and started to figure out some of my issues. One being the bow not seated properly along the life line. Two, not hitting my anchor point consistantly. And third and probably the worst, the bow slipping in my hand. Adjusting and correcting my form has helped a lot. Concentrating on the anchor point and seating the bow primarily. I'm still getting some slippage from the sweaty palms now and then but I'm working on that. After the adjustments, I'm still dead on at 10 and the groups at 12 to 15 are coming in. Not going out to 20 again for a while.
    Oops. Did I just roll my eyes out loud?

You really didn't get anything out of "blind-bail"?...what i discovered was nothing short of amazing but...i guess that just goes to show..we're all wired different and what works for me might put your arrows in the next zip code.

sounds to me like you're trying waaaaay to hard, prolly thinking waaaay to much and i might suggest you need to lighten up on yourself and lower your expectations...keeping them all on that single spot at 20yds is quite an achievement for just 2 months imho.

Slow down bro...to me?..this is a spiritual journey..not a race to the olympics..and if your attacking it as such?..be prepared to shell out for some time with a high end sports psychologist.

I've been going at it hard for about 8-9 months now...some nights it seems like i can't miss and others?..i just move up to 10yds and call it a strength training evening and make a game of how long i can hold at solid anchor with each shot and remember..

There's no big checks or scantily clad beautiful women looking to hose me down with champagne or bodyguard driven limo's waiting to scurry me away to the next shoot...and i can enjoy pulling them all out of the x or?..slow walking through the swampy woods that lays beyond my backyard in search of a wayward arrow...but i do say some choice words when my evening plans take a sudden change!

GOD is my "Aiming System"...and I'm just one of his many arrows!
    BLACK WIDOW PSA II TD RECURVE 62"/43# @28"
    1975 HERTERS PERFECTION MAGNUM RECURVE 60"/44# @ 28"
    BUSHMEN "AMERICAN NATIVE" R/D LONGBOW 64"/37# @ 28"

"There's no big checks or scantily clad beautiful women looking to hose me down with champagne"
    That alone is enough to make me want to quit.
    Seriously, put your bow down for a week, both physically and mentally. I'll bet when you come back to it, you'll shoot better, and that it'll be fun again.

Thanks for all the encouragement. Except for the fishing suggestion. I couldn't catch a fish in a grocery store. I took a step back, got vipers book out, and started to figure out some of my issues. One being the bow not seated properly along the life line. Two, not hitting my anchor point consistantly. And third and probably the worst, the bow slipping in my hand. Adjusting and correcting my form has helped a lot. Concentrating on the anchor point and seating the bow primarily. I'm still getting some slippage from the sweaty palms now and then but I'm working on that. After the adjustments, I'm still dead on at 10 and the groups at 12 to 15 are coming in. Not going out to 20 again for a while.

You're getting there. When you are happy at 15yds, take another step back.

Hey, jinkster, you had better watch out or you might find more than arrows in the swamp. I've heard of some really bigazz snakes invading your space down there.

Quote Originally Posted by JINKSTER View Post
    You really didn't get anything out of "blind-bail"?...what i discovered was nothing short of amazing but...i guess that just goes to show..we're all wired different and what works for me might put your arrows in the next zip code.

sounds to me like you're trying waaaaay to hard, prolly thinking waaaay to much and i might suggest you need to lighten up on yourself and lower your expectations...keeping them all on that single spot at 20yds is quite an achievement for just 2 months imho.

Slow down bro...to me?..this is a spiritual journey..not a race to the olympics..and if your attacking it as such?..be prepared to shell out for some time with a high end sports psychologist.

I've been going at it hard for about 8-9 months now...some nights it seems like i can't miss and others?..i just move up to 10yds and call it a strength training evening and make a game of how long i can hold at solid anchor with each shot and remember..

There's no big checks or scantily clad beautiful women looking to hose me down with champagne or bodyguard driven limo's waiting to scurry me away to the next shoot...and i can enjoy pulling them all out of the x or?..slow walking through the swampy woods that lays beyond my backyard in search of a wayward arrow...but i do say some choice words when my evening plans take a sudden change!
    Exactly, great advice and outlook
    There are things you just can't fix. Can't Fix Stupid, can't fix a neutered dog & you can't fix Junk! Si

i have the sam problem and idk what to do

Attachment 1354092Attachment 1354093
    The first pic is at 20 yds, about the best I can do.
    The second was my restarting life at 10 yds, shot a 265 and this was my last end.
    I guess I'm an instinctive shooter at ten yards and a clueless blindman at 20

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12