Thread: ASA Advice

ASA Advice

I've been shooting 3d for several years now at local shoots and such. I never really took it serious as a competition beyond trying to beat my own personal best as it was mainly a reason to get out from behind my desk and get outdoors some. However, I'm now considering joining ASA and just got through reading the rules from start to finish. I have a few questions though.

1. Shoots like the one in London, KY (I'm in kentucky), do they require a qualifier of some sort or can you just sign up and go? After being as ASA member of course.

2. If qualifing isn't required, what is it required for? I've seen several shoots that say they are qualifiers.

3. My equipment is setup for Open class. Should I start out in Open C? It looks like if you win money you move up to B or A. Correct?

Thanks everyone for clearing up my foggy mind.
    I must be doing something wrong. I keep shooting the animals but they won't die.

You are not required to qualify for the pro-ams, in fact you can even shoot one a year without being a member. The qualifiers are for your state championship shoots.

You can't shoot open b without joining asa even one time, that is for the novice type class. Main thing is the speed restriction of 280 and then there will be a class that your bow is allowed to shoot in. Other than that get in a car and get to a asa shoot because they are awesome, don't forget to get a chair to take because the shoots are slow and a place to sit is nice. If you shoot open b or higher you better be a really good shot because the courses are difficult and even staying on foam would be impossible for a novice shooter, you can't believe how many arrows go skipping through the woods in open b even on the known distance day.

Start in open c!!! And win your way up!

Quote Originally Posted by brdmt72 View Post
    You are not required to qualify for the pro-ams, in fact you can even shoot one a year without being a member. The qualifiers are for your state championship shoots.
    You can shoot ONE pro/am without being a member......for the amateur classes...only.....
    In God we Trust all others pay CASH

I message from my phone...so posts are short and sweet . No need for grammar , figure it out man.

Great! Thanks all.
    I must be doing something wrong. I keep shooting the animals but they won't die.

Quote Originally Posted by brdmt72 View Post
    i found out that thats not true, THIS year they changed the rules, you can shoot the novice or opec c and not be a member, any other class and you got to be a member... i shot k45 and had to join the asa even though i only get to shoot one tournament a year...

2008 PRO ELITE.... INDOORS..2010 ALPHA BURNER.... HUNTING..2012 ELITE ANSWER.... ALL PURPOSE..

I'll probably join even if I probably end up only shooting one per year just to support the organization.

Quote Originally Posted by boweng View Post
    I'll probably join even if I probably end up only shooting one per year just to support the organization.
    Your in for a treat.

Start in Open C. Good start.

Try to show up and shoot pro am on Friday. Its a blast! You get to shoot with a team and work together for score. One member will be a pro.

Sign up and shoot a round of simms range, ten targets all know distance. Against your class only.

Pay for practice range.

Lots of vendors and time to plan on buying stuff you need. Introduce yoursel to Gary Coffey (Vendor) Good guy.

Be carefull its addicting!
    DB
    Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

in open c if you win 300$ you have to move up to open b. come to the kentucky and check out the BowLife booth. I'll be there working the show and shooting!