Thread: Mike, I have a lens/optics question...

Mike, I have a lens/optics question...

Okay, after overhearing a conversation this weekend, I've done a bit of research and I have a couple of questions for the optically inclined (I am not.. lol)

I understand the relationship between diopter, focal length and power, but... when dealing with an archery lens the focal length would be the distance from your eye to the lens, I assume... does that differ if you use a straight peep or a corrected peep (clarifier installed) (do you now measure the distance to the peep from the lens, or how do you factor that into the equation)??

Next question is, how does the clarifier diopter influence the ultimate power of the lens based on it's diopter and the focal length? Is there a formula or a nomograph that can calculate this? I know the formula for calculating the ultimate power is 1/(1-D x ESI/39.37) (ESI = eye to scope/lens distance in inches(focal length))

Just trying to understand fully, so I can educate someone who is misguided..

Give Chuck call or hit him up on FB Sticky. He will tell you all you need to know. Might as well get the info from the "Eye Dr." and #1 lens guy out there

Quote Originally Posted by IGluIt4U View Post
    Okay, after overhearing a conversation this weekend, I've done a bit of research and I have a couple of questions for the optically inclined (I am not.. lol)

I understand the relationship between diopter, focal length and power, but... when dealing with an archery lens the focal length would be the distance from your eye to the lens, I assume... does that differ if you use a straight peep or a corrected peep (clarifier installed) (do you now measure the distance to the peep from the lens, or how do you factor that into the equation)??

Next question is, how does the clarifier diopter influence the ultimate power of the lens based on it's diopter and the focal length? Is there a formula or a nomograph that can calculate this? I know the formula for calculating the ultimate power is 1/(1-D x ESI/39.37) (ESI = eye to scope/lens distance in inches(focal length))

Just trying to understand fully, so I can educate someone who is misguided..
    Umm....I was told there would be no math involved on this forum!?!?
    PantherCreekBowhunters.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchhunt View Post
    Umm....I was told there would be no math involved on this forum!?!?
    They lied?

Quote Originally Posted by Kade View Post
    Give Chuck call or hit him up on FB Sticky. He will tell you all you need to know. Might as well get the info from the "Eye Dr." and #1 lens guy out there
    Well, I put Mike in the title, but didn't mean to limit it to him.. thought that perhaps others may benefit from the responses/discussion, that's why I posted it in here.. (guess I need to send a message to Eye Dr. and get him to post over here, eh? lol)

Probably. That's way more technical then I get. I buy a lens in the power I want and put it in my scope. Put a peep in and shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk