Thread: Give me a hand here fellow Grain Free/Archery folks

Give me a hand here fellow Grain Free/Archery folks

I stayed out of this as long as I could, but after reading what I did this morning, I had to butt in.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?1123-Diet

While much of his advice is sound, a good bit of it is the typical government protocol (you MUST eat GRAINS to be healthy). I know a few of you are even more versed in this stuff than I am, so feel free to give me a hand in trying to give these folks asking for advice a different option/approach.

I'm with you completely! I even wrote this on my blog a while ago. Skimmed the posts, and I agree with you, but sorry man, I'm staying out of that; gotten into too much of it before!

Trying to give folks a better alternative to grains and LSD jogging have gotten me more flak on the internet...

Yeah, same here, I just can't stand idly by while I see it going on. Overweight people are asking for advice and you tell them to eat a half pound of grains a day, yeah, that's great advice.

I'm on the same page as you Eagle but remember a 1/2 lbs of whole grains is far better than a 1/2 lb of Twinkies and Ho Ho’s. Going to something like Paleo from the typical America diet is probably a stretch for most. Little steps ….
    Mathews Z7 - classic
    Hoyt Vector 32 - Bone Collector
    Hoyt Spyder 30

honestly, i would stay out of it. sometimes it's better that way. most of the time actually. i have butted heads with way too many people about this stuff, and in the long run, it's just not worth it. people are going to believe what they want to believe, and that's how it's going to be. no need to be a crusader. we recently had an event at work and i decided to make a gluten free (rice pasta) macaroni and cheese. it was a bit of a cheat meal for me, but i figured, what the heck. i put tons of local pastured uncured bacon andsome organic broccoli in it too. anyway, this vegan nitwit i work with started arguing with me about it because i used gluten free pasta and i'm not diagnosed as having celiacs disease. she then tried to tell me that wheat was so much more nutritious than rice. i asked her to tell me what nutrients wheat contains (none) and she started listing vitamins and minerals. i told her that wheat products were enriched with those things because wheat doesn't naturally contain that stuff. i then explained to her how unhealthy gluten was. she didn't want to hear it. i then xplained that wheat (and most grains) contain loads of antinutrients like phylates and lectins. it was like i was speaking greek. she had never heard of those things before and basically wrote me off as crazy. like i said, people will believe what they want to believe.

and like dmax said, little steps. you can't take the average american, sit them down, and try to explain paleo to them. it's way over the heads of most people

The guy knows what he is talking about. You might not agree with all of his methods, but they have been proven. Like DMAXX said, it's baby steps. I can tell that guy works with the public because he is choosing the lesser of two evils. No way can the general public eat like ya'll eat or even how I eat. He uses the calorie counting as a method of teaching food awareness and I think that is a good thing. It's not sustainable, but it's not supposed to be. It's just a teaching method. It's more of a transitioning to a healthier way of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Only View Post
    The guy knows what he is talking about. You might not agree with all of his methods, but they have been proven. Like DMAXX said, it's baby steps. I can tell that guy works with the public because he is choosing the lesser of two evils. No way can the general public eat like ya'll eat or even how I eat. He uses the calorie counting as a method of teaching food awareness and I think that is a good thing. It's not sustainable, but it's not supposed to be. It's just a teaching method. It's more of a transitioning to a healthier way of living.
    Actually, if you read through it all, the guy talks about how you MUST count calories for ever, or else, you'll put the weight back on like he has when he's stopped counting. If his way is so perfect, then why the hell can't he stay lean with his diet approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle48 View Post
    Actually, if you read through it all, the guy talks about how you MUST count calories for ever, or else, you'll put the weight back on like he has when he's stopped counting. If his way is so perfect, then why the hell can't he stay lean with his diet approach.
    He hasn't leanered all calories are created equal. You should PM and have him come over here.
    Mathews Z7 - classic
    Hoyt Spyder 30

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle48 View Post
    this is the fundamental flaw in the calories in/calories out argument. human beings, like most other animals, should naturally be lean and athletic without having to spend hours counting calories and working our asses off in the gym. as a species, we're eating the wrong foods. period. if most people ate meat, fat, and veggies 99% of the time they would feel satiated and not overeat, and not be overweight. indeed, all calories are not created equal

Actually we are designed to store fat and seek out foods that put fat on us. Hence our cultures desire for carbs and sweets. That’s why we (not us specifically) are all so round. Nature has designed us this way so that we could survive during periods of famine. Ironically our desire for sweets and to indulge has given our species an evolutionally advantage over other mammals – where others have died out we have survived making us the dominate species on earth – right now anyway.
    Mathews Z7 - classic
    Hoyt Spyder 30

Quote Originally Posted by DMAX-HD View Post
    Actually we are designed to store fat and seek out foods that put fat on us. Hence our cultures desire for carbs and sweets. That’s why we (not us specifically) are all so round. Nature has designed us this way so that we could survive during periods of famine. Ironically our desire for sweets and to indulge has given our species an evolutionally advantage over other mammals – where others have died out we have survived making us the dominate species on earth – right now anyway.
    exactly. but in nature, carbs and sweets are not abundant, and typically very seasonal. it would be impossible to overindulge in those things for the most part, especially in all but the most tropical locations where fruits would have grown year round. but for some reason, natives to those locales typically aren't obese until exposed to western "food" products .

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    exactly. but in nature, carbs and sweets are not abundant, and typically very seasonal. it would be impossible to overindulge in those things for the most part, especially in all but the most tropical locations where fruits would have grown year round. but for some reason, natives to those locales typically aren't obese until exposed to western "food" products .
    Yea - that's true. But on the right late July day I could fill up on blackberries. If I can scare the bears away.
    Mathews Z7 - classic
    Hoyt Spyder 30

Quote Originally Posted by DMAX-HD View Post
    Yea - that's true. But on the right late July day I could fill up on blackberries. If I can scare the bears away.
    oh hell yeah... as far as i'm concerned, that's paleo in it's purest form

I guess that is kinda 'Paleo' of me - don't tell anybody though.

....I won't even mention how a raid our garden then in late summer.

Mathews Z7 - classic
    Hoyt Spyder 30