Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OAA is it worth it

OAA is it worth it

I won the Trad division at the OAA triple crown in 2009, woohoo, there was a total of 3 guys who did all 3 legs. In 2011 1 guy entered Trad in the OAA 3D's and the same guy "won" the triple crown. In 2010 no one entered Trad in the 3D's at all.
    I am not sure how compound numbers stack up but my question is, is the OAA a dead duck and should we just affiliate with NFAA or iBO? Yet again this year the 3D champs and 2nd leg of the TC are up in the back end of nowhere so I will be giving them a miss, as will everyone from Southern Ontario I am guessing. I will spend my hard earned crossing the border and doing iBO shoots again this year.
    Is archery really that dead in Canada or is the OAA just really bad at organizing stuff?

The OAA's great at organizing stuff. It's the Trad shooters who aren't showing up.

Just short of 300 people shot the 10-ring Indoor Championships, about 230 shot the 5-ring Indoors this past few months. Just 8 Trad shooters in each, 7 of them the same people in both events. I don't know your name - did you shoot in these events?

The OAA is the "Ontario" Association of Archers, not the "Southern Ontario" Association of Archers. Shoots are held in different regions of the province so everyone has a chance once in a while to attend a major shoot in their own area.

It costs the same for a Trad shooter to travel to all 3 legs of the triple crown as it does for a compound shooter.

Yes but stash wouldn`t it be better to hold them in a denser populated area so you will get more shooters and more entry fees and more money for the oaa .. just good business sense I think .. And the figures you quote are they not for all of ontario over a extended time period ... lets not go by class as there where only like one x bow shooter in some of those tournaments.. its not a class thing as it is a location comment.. I think the poster is getting at...

Are there clubs in southern Ontario that have offered hosting but been turned down? I can think of many clubs that would bring in much greater numbers (Durham, York, Wolf's den, etc.) but I don't think they've requested them. Honest qustion, as I really don't have any idea.
    A bunch of different bows and arrows and stuff.

Read page 50 of the OAA Directory

Quote Originally Posted by CLASSICHUNTER View Post
    Yes but stash wouldn`t it be better to hold them in a denser populated area so you will get more shooters and more entry fees and more money for the oaa ..
    This may shock you, Ted, but I agree with you. However, it's not what the membership indicated that it wants.

The rotation of outdoor events through the 5 zones has been in effect for years, and was put in place because people from Dryden, SSMarie, Sudbury, Ottawa, Windsor were sick of paying time and money to come to the Toronto area every time. The OAA was accused of being a Toronto-based organization, and so to satisfy everyone, the membership voted to have the championship events circulate on a regular basis throughout the province. Maybe not the most financially sound decision, but the fairest and most democratic.

If it's time for a change back to the way it was when all the target events were always held at Caledon, well, go ahead and make a suggestion in the proper way to have the rule changed.

As for the numbers of attendees - without actually analyzing the numbers, I get the impression that target seems to be growing, 3D seems to be fading. Recurve and Compound numbers are strong, while the "minor" divisions (please don't take that as a derogatory description, only descriptive as to the numbers of participants) fluctuate, die off, barely hang on.

If few Crossbow shooters want to shoot the indoor championships, well, it's not really a game that is best suited to that division, due to limited space on the line for a horizontal bow and the quick reload time required for times events. To a lesser degree with Trad - indoors is just boring for most Trad shooters.

If you have other suggestions for making OAA events more attractive to the archers who elect to shoot outside the most popular equipment divisions, let's hear them.

My point denser population better chance of higher attendance numbers...for all classes

Went to a small shoot on sunday 125 trad shooters 15 minuets from my house in Ottawa...

Quote Originally Posted by TOOL View Post
    Are there clubs in southern Ontario that have offered hosting but been turned down? I can think of many clubs that would bring in much greater numbers (Durham, York, Wolf's den, etc.) but I don't think they've requested them. Honest qustion, as I really don't have any idea.
    As DXTCLUE said, the bidding procedure is posted in the Directory. Each OAA event rotates annually to a different zone of the province and clubs in that zone can bid to host. If no club in that zone bids to host, then it's opened up to any club in the province.

The thing is, it's very rare for 2 or more clubs to bid to host an event, and in many cases, it's necessary to do some arm twisting to even get a club to put in a bid. The OAA can't force a club to host, and it certainly doesn't have the means to provide financial incentives to induce a club to host.

You have to remember, this is a volunteer-run organization. What people who have a complaint call "The OAA" is not really the OAA - it's actually just a small number of volunteers who give up much of their free time to organize, administrate and assist with several sets of events and services according to the established rules. "The OAA" doesn't make the rules - it follows them.

The fact is, the membership is the OAA, not just those few volunteers.

Went to a small shoot on sunday 125 trad shooters 15 minuets from my house in Ottawa...
    Great. Find out what they would like from a provincial association (if anything), then speak with the provincial association to provide it.

they don`t need a provincial assoc as the numbers substantiate..

The OAA is not seeing anything different than any other group or organization in just about anywhere. Low volunteer, low membership and low turnout to meetings. 125 to a trad shoot must have been more there than a regular all divisions in shoot. I would love to host a major event down here but we need other clubs to jump in to get it done, and we do have good properties to put on major technical shoots that would challenge. We all throw our share of negative comments at some points but the way I look at it if you want to throw you better be doing the work...........for free like the rest of us. Does OAA need to grow and change...............yes. Where will archery be in Ontario without them??? Less say in the sport. less of the sport. We need to support all forms of archery and it is time that a new blood group steps up. The work to start needs to begin at this years AGM as a change in leadership will happen. The leadership has done a good job of doing the best they can with limited resources and help.............the proof is OAA is still here and has a voice in archery in Ontario. Our Voice!

question ???is the oaa based out of Caledon only because of the volunteer base and location.. I ask this only because if the majority of new exec where located some where else could the oaa be relocated to accommodate them as well. Is this possible..??????

Please don't take my post as a bash at the OAA, it was not intended to be, more a frustration at the locations always used. 3 years in a row the 3D's have been way up north somewhere. It may be that clubs down here don't bid for them I don't know but all I can say is that the current thinking isn't working looking at the numbers. I would love to support the OAA but can't justify a drive to the Soo to go up against myself.
    There are a decent number of trad shooters down these parts who would be intersted in giving it a go but few are willing to travel. I would love to go back to Flying Feathers to shoot but if the numbers aren't there I will go elsewhere.

Flying feathers has provincials this year and is always a hoot and reasonably travel located.. we`ll be there .. so there will be some trad shooters .. Joe and Sharon and the club regulars put on a great shoot..

Not much the OAA can do if clubs in the South are not putting in for the legs of the TC. What should the OAA do...not have a TC because no one wants to host down South? ..or have it up North. I understand it's a long drive for some of you to come up North (...believe me....I do the exact same drive in the opposite direction...all the time!), but some of these Northern clubs have outstanding courses that will challange anyone who comes up.

As for having only one person in your class......put yourself in another class. I bet there are some traditional shooters who would beat people in the Hunter class. I'm not saying this is the answer.....but what can be said....if people do not want to travel......that is there choice.

The Soo is a long way to go. For just about everyone. But....they have great set ups and even better people running them. Campgrounds on site and loads of stuff to do if you want to make a trip out of it.

Come up. Shoot the North......you won't be disapointed!

Jd is one of the avid few like my self who make the trips camp out don`t shower for days lol lol and have a hoot around the camp fires.. archery is just like that ...the regulars and the weekend warriors ..Good points have been made by all who have responded and a few questions still remain unanswered ???? seems the oaa has not had this much constructive print in along time.. to the better I think...

I shot Flying Feathers and Restoule the year I won the TC so I know those clubs and the people there and they are all good that's for sure. I am not even sure how many hours away the Soo is but when I plan my shooting year I always look at bang for buck. Where will be the best shoot for my limited time and money. I opted for the IBO triple crown, Trad worlds and R100.
    I understand the problem of clubs not volunteering but isn't it about time something was done to force or encourage them to host.
    I will gladly make a 12 hour drive for a weekend shoot if there is going to be a class worth shooting in but at the moment there isn't.
    York County are hosting the 3rd TC leg so I will shoot that but as a non OAA member. I thought about joining again to shoot the Field champs at York but again you're looking at $80 entry, $50 OAA membership to shoot in a class of 2 or 3, the numbers just don't add up.

bigjono go to the ibo worlds in seven springs pa you will shoot against the best there from all over.. read rules for bow set up though as they follow the category rules .... also could we get you to update your bio here on at so we know who we are talking too and where from thanks... Fellow trad shooter..

Classic, I had to choose between the Worlds and the Trad Worlds this year and chose the Trad. I qualified again for the worlds but at the end of the day the Trads just have a better and bigger field. The worlds are really for compounds now and I can see the trad classes getting dropped soon, that is why we have our own champs now.
    There is a big Canadian (and British) section making the trip from as far away as the Soo and even the Yukon showing that shooters will travel for the right events.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigjono View Post
    I shot Flying Feathers and Restoule the year I won the TC so I know those clubs and the people there and they are all good that's for sure. I am not even sure how many hours away the Soo is but when I plan my shooting year I always look at bang for buck. Where will be the best shoot for my limited time and money. I opted for the IBO triple crown, Trad worlds and R100.
    I understand the problem of clubs not volunteering but isn't it about time something was done to force or encourage them to host.
    I will gladly make a 12 hour drive for a weekend shoot if there is going to be a class worth shooting in but at the moment there isn't.
    York County are hosting the 3rd TC leg so I will shoot that but as a non OAA member. I thought about joining again to shoot the Field champs at York but again you're looking at $80 entry, $50 OAA membership to shoot in a class of 2 or 3, the numbers just don't add up.
    Its $60.00 entry fee, unless you want in the open class then its $80.00 and good luck with a trad bow cause theres only one open class at the Field Champs

Based on the number of archers and clubs throughout Ontario and the actual number of attendees at these major OAA shoots, you would think the OAA would re-think how they set up the actual shoots. I realize the amount of effort needed to host a shoot but from an archers point of view, it's also not only tough to be able to make some of the long treks to the shoots but also the cost involved on going to one. Has the OAA ever considered remodeling how they have the triple crown currently set up and possibly branch out into 4 geographic divisions such as Ontario North, East, Central and West with each region having their own divisional shoots and then host one grand final shoot centrally located with the top 3 or 5 shooters qualifying from each class and division to compete in a final shoot off. These local shoots being ran in each division could become divisional round robin shoots similar to how the Seaway Challenge is ran.
    There are enough clubs currently hosting shoots throughout Ontario but if the OAA was to become involved and assist or help with hosting some of the local shoots along with having their presence at these local shoots it may greatly increase the attendance of not only the club shoots but the OAA membership.
    The OAA could or would have to establish 4 separate committees who could also assist the clubs on behalf of the OAA with canvasing the archery industry as in the manufactures and distributors to have some presence at these shoots or assist with acquiring prize donations.
    The only way for the OAA to grow is to become more involved in the 3D aspect of the sport as well as branch out and establish a tournament format which would be fair and accommodating to all archers throughout Ontario.

Just my 2 1/2" cents
    Hoyt Alpha Elite
    Hoyt Contender Elite
    Nuge Strings Test Pilot

question ???is the oaa based out of Caledon only because of the volunteer base and location.. I ask this only because if the majority of new exec where located some where else could the oaa be relocated to accommodate them as well. Is this possible..??????
    You don't seem to be getting the concept.

"The OAA" is not "based out of Caledon" or anywhere else. Well, OK, if you have to be technical about it, the Office Administrator does live in the town of Caledon and does the membership and other stuff out of her home. But she's not even an archer - her family is involved, so she helps out.

But the President is in the London area, and the other Directors are scattered around the province. Board meetings are held where it's cheapest to get everyone together. The AGMs are held wherever a suitable location can be found.

We will need a new President after Adam's term is complete. Maybe this person will be from Ottawa, SS Marie, Thunder Bay for all anyone knows. Maybe Lynda will want to keep doing the admin work, maybe she won't. Who knows?

When's the last time the OAA had more than one person nominated for a Board position anyways? We had an election I think when Adam was voted in for president 5 years ago, but other than that I can't remember us needing a vote for any Executive position for a long, long time.

Where the Board lives and has their meetings is immaterial to this entire discussion anyways.

The OAA is mandated to sponsor several championships each year, and these are held at various clubs which offer to host the events. The clubs are responsible for running the shoots (within the rules), and the clubs are the ones who need to step up their game to get people to show up. If people choose not to go to these Championship events, the OAA has little say in the matter.

The mandate of the Ontario Association of Archers Inc.(O.A.A.) shall be:

To develop, promote, expand and perpetuate participation in all forms of the sport of archery throughout the Province of Ontario.

The role of the Association shall be to:

Encourage the safe participation in all of the various types of archery activities.
    Initiate, implement and maintain methods for the development of all levels of participation, archery skills and facilities both for individuals and clubs.
    Act as the sole representative body for the sport of archery in Ontario in all matters relating to all levels of Government and in all matters relating to national and international archery bodies.
    Establish a uniform set of rules and regulations governing the conduct of provincial championship events and the rounds used therein, and encourage the use of these rules and regulations at all other archery competitions sponsored by affiliated clubs.

Bigjono actually your wrong the worlds numbers are great ..was there for the last 4 years even the ru class has increased numbers you don`t have to qualify for the worlds ..we are international shooters so you pay your 20 dollars and you get to go ..as I said been to the worlds 4 times ...there are probably as many trad shooters or more at the worlds than at the trad worlds .. and you get guys from Spain and England and Austria and all over ..And you do shoot with the best .. jimmy black-men.. Jim Powell etc etc...Try it .. you`ll be surprised and humbled ....

Quote Originally Posted by DssBB View Post
    ...if the OAA was to become involved and assist or help with hosting some of the local shoots along with having their presence at these local shoots it may greatly increase the attendance of not only the club shoots but the OAA membership.
    The OAA could or would have to establish 4 separate committees who could also assist the clubs on behalf of the OAA with canvasing the archery industry as in the manufactures and distributors to have some presence at these shoots or assist with acquiring prize donations.
    In a perfect world that would be nice, but again, the "the OAA" you are talking about doesn't exist. Who exactly would you expect to do all this work? We can't even find someone interested in running for President after the current President's term expires. We have vacant positions on the Board just aching for someone to step up and offer their services.

Remember, this is a volunteer-run organization and we don't have the human or financial resources to do anything more than the little we do now.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast