Thread: Musk ox bowhunt

Musk ox bowhunt

Finally got caught up on work and spring hunting and thought I'd share a recent musk ox hunt I took with Canadian North Outfitters. The arctic is something that all archers should consider taking. Aside from the hunting, the people who call Nunavut home are very interesting and hardy. Enjoy
    1.jpgBobby and Mike.jpgbroadside musk ox (2).jpgcamp 2.jpgMike on box (2).jpg

Awesome, would love to hear more about your hunt.
    Lee & pinski's Pro Staff
    TEAM MONGREL

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawkhunter View Post
    Awesome, would love to hear more about your hunt.
    x2!
    Always thought that would be a cool hunt!
    Strother Infinity. 26" 60 lbs. QAD rest. Copper John sight. Octane stabilizer. Gold Tip XT Hunter arrows.
    Slick Trick Mag broadheads.

Leftys do it better!

Lets here the experience. Not very many people do ox so do tell

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    bowtech blackhawk '04--short n' sweet(truball)
    gold tip 5575--trophy taker rest
    cobra sidewinder--buzzcuts/stingers ---this spring magnus bullheads lookout turkey
    and a hot girl by my side, who loves to turkey hunt

stationed in Biloxi, MS, from Minocqua, WI
    Def looks like a cool hunt! Congrats on your trophy..just out of curiosity what does a hunt like that run ya?
    CM2(scw) USN NMCB 74
    2010 PSE omen 28/60, BG ascent 3 pin surge head, LD, anchor sight, cx piledriver hunter .350 w/ fobs,trufire edge 4 ,tightspot, muzzy
    Team Whack 'Em & Stack 'Em Hunting Staff **chief squaw stealer aka the resident bouncer ***

Full body mount? It would be a lot of cash but I'd definitely try to round up the funds for that.
    Strother Infinity. 26" 60 lbs. QAD rest. Copper John sight. Octane stabilizer. Gold Tip XT Hunter arrows.

Leftys do it better!

Man that looks lie such an awesome hunt! Well done and congrats on a fantastic bull!
    Elite Archery Pro Staff - Winners Choice Pro Staff - Muzzy Pro Staff - Tightspot Pro Staff
    Professional Hunter & Guide - Outdoor Editor

Curious, what was the temperature? Also what poundage were you shooting?
    Mathews Solocam Z7 Xtreme, Monster 7.0, Conquest Triumph, MR6, Creed, 2 MR5'S, Drenalin, Gold Tip, B-Stinger, Axion, Truball
    Hough's Archery-Pro Staff
    Bohning Staff Shooter
    Truball Staff Shooter

Always wanted to hunt muskox, beautiful bull. What did that hunt run ballpark?
    John's Custom Prostaff { no other string is even close }

Quote Originally Posted by navyman20 View Post
    Def looks like a cool hunt! Congrats on your trophy..just out of curiosity what does a hunt like that run ya?
    I would also like to know

Hunt of a lifetime congrats
    2011 LH Elite Hunter Max 1

I'll give a quick recount of the story. I booked the musk ox hunt through bowhunter safari consultants. I'm a school teacher so I went up north during my spring break. From door to door including airfare I was right at 10K. I hunted with Canada North Outfitters. There were 3 of us in camp, I was the only archer. First day of the hunt was a wash as the weather was bad. We ran into the first herd the second full day. A herd of about 20 musk ox. The bull I shot seperated from the herd. He stopped once and then ran another kilometer until he stopped. 25 yard shots. My first shot was just off the mark, so I nocked another one and sent the second shaft through the beast. Ran 30 yards before expiring. All-in-all, a great adventure. The people are really nice and friendly.
    I was shooting a Hoyt set at 67 pounds, 30 inch Beman ICS hunter arrows tipped with Magnus stinger arrows. Having a shoulder mount done as the price of a lifesize was just too great. I did bring back the backstraps. They are a bit chewy but great tasting.Boss.jpgHoof and hand.jpginns north.JPGnunavut.JPG

Forgot to mention. Temperatures ranged anywhere from -10 to 10 above without the wind chill. I had great gear and was never cold. The ride in the sled was cool but not cold. Saw arctic fox, hare, and ptarmagin.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.
    Max-1 Elite Answer
    QAD HDX
    HHA 5519
    Stokerized
    60X

Thats very cool. Congratulations!
    "I tasted fire, I'm ready to come alive."

Trinity Archery field staff

Outstanding!!!!
    2012 Elite Answer
    2007 Diamond Black Ice

"I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued." "I prepare, I hunt, I kill - it is what we do."

thats awesome..congrats!!

Sweet ! That is a beautiful animal and an awsome adventure, I am sure. What clothing did you use and how many days was the hunt ?

Wow buddy thats a world away from Indiana. Congrats on a great hunt and a fine trophy and thank you for sharing it with us.
    ~ GOD, Family, Country ~
    Hoyt CRX32
    Team 29-Rack Reapers

Make sure to post pics of the mount when you get it back from the taxi!!

Leftys do it better!

That sounds like a fun hunt to do. Hunting any species should be fun though.
    Hoyt blacked out alphaburner 60# 30" draw
    Gold Tip Velocity XT 300's tipped with Muzzy 100gr. 3 blades
    I'm not that easily distracted. Look! Something shiny!

Cat1414, I used a 2 piece snow suit from Cabelas Outfitter gear series (I don't think they even make them anymore), Sorrell boots, with ice breaker boot blankets, 1 fleece union suit, a pair of nylon sweat pants to keep the wind out, and a second long underwear shirt. For gloves I used a light pair of knit gloves and topped that off with Northern Outfitters mitts. I wore a heavy weight balaclava, fleece dickie (neck covering) and I borrowed a beaver hat. Snow goggles that were polarized. The only flesh exposed to the weather was the tip of my nose. I can say I honestly never felt uncomfortably cold. I was in the camp for 3 days and in town 3 days due to weather.

What an adventure. That would be an experience for sure.
    2014 Hoyt Faktor 30
    Hoyt Qad HDX
    MBG Vengeance
    8.5" B-stinger

Hunt of a lifetime for sure, Congrats!
    2008 Ross Cardiac 70Lbs, QAD pro HD, Sims modular stab, Copper john dead nutz 2 sight, Scott Sabertooth release, G5 Meta peep, beman arrows with ONESTRINGER arrow wraps topped with Slick Tricks or GT2's and RIDGERUNNER sling