Archery Talk Forum banner

Musk ox bowhunt

2K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  Sandilands 
#1 ·
Finally got caught up on work and spring hunting and thought I'd share a recent musk ox hunt I took with Canadian North Outfitters. The arctic is something that all archers should consider taking. Aside from the hunting, the people who call Nunavut home are very interesting and hardy. Enjoy
Vertebrate Muskox Mammal Yak Bovine
Dog Canidae Wildlife biologist Muskox Winter
Grizzly bear Brown bear Terrestrial animal Muskox Yak
Snow Winter Blizzard Geological phenomenon Winter storm
Arctic Sea Ice Recreation Vehicle

See less See more
#12 ·
I'll give a quick recount of the story. I booked the musk ox hunt through bowhunter safari consultants. I'm a school teacher so I went up north during my spring break. From door to door including airfare I was right at 10K. I hunted with Canada North Outfitters. There were 3 of us in camp, I was the only archer. First day of the hunt was a wash as the weather was bad. We ran into the first herd the second full day. A herd of about 20 musk ox. The bull I shot seperated from the herd. He stopped once and then ran another kilometer until he stopped. 25 yard shots. My first shot was just off the mark, so I nocked another one and sent the second shaft through the beast. Ran 30 yards before expiring. All-in-all, a great adventure. The people are really nice and friendly.
I was shooting a Hoyt set at 67 pounds, 30 inch Beman ICS hunter arrows tipped with Magnus stinger arrows. Having a shoulder mount done as the price of a lifesize was just too great. I did bring back the backstraps. They are a bit chewy but great tasting. Snout Working animal Muskox Yak Bovine
Snow Glove Hand Winter Fur
Text Font Banner Logo Advertising
Blue Signage Dolphin Sign

#22 ·
Cat1414, I used a 2 piece snow suit from Cabelas Outfitter gear series (I don't think they even make them anymore), Sorrell boots, with ice breaker boot blankets, 1 fleece union suit, a pair of nylon sweat pants to keep the wind out, and a second long underwear shirt. For gloves I used a light pair of knit gloves and topped that off with Northern Outfitters mitts. I wore a heavy weight balaclava, fleece dickie (neck covering) and I borrowed a beaver hat. Snow goggles that were polarized. The only flesh exposed to the weather was the tip of my nose. I can say I honestly never felt uncomfortably cold. I was in the camp for 3 days and in town 3 days due to weather.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.