Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elk Broadhead Suggestions

Elk Broadhead Suggestions

Has anyone tested the new Ulmer Edge? I am not sure about a mechanical for elk but supposedly they have done well in the field tests next year. What other heads should I consider for elk? Any tips would be appreciated.

Ive heard good things about VPA broadheads. Slick Trick GrizzTrick 2's would get the job done as well. If it was me, I'd personally stick with a fixed broadhead, but thats my opinion.
    2012 Rytera Nemesis -- Limbsaver Windjammer 7" Stabilizer -- Sword Twilight Hunter -- QAD HD Bone Collector Drop Away Rest-- Beman ICS Hunter Elite 438 Grains -- Broad heads: QAD Exodus Swept Back & G5 T3!

I figured fixed was best, but I think the Ulmer boys had some luck with the Edge broadhead last year. Just curious what folks thought about them.

Not saying mechanical wont work. I use mechanical for whitetail. Elk are big creatures and i would want to take out any variables I could to ensure a harvested elk. I guess you never know unless you try for yourself. Give em a whirl man. Whats your set up?
    2012 Rytera Nemesis -- Limbsaver Windjammer 7" Stabilizer -- Sword Twilight Hunter -- QAD HD Bone Collector Drop Away Rest-- Beman ICS Hunter Elite 438 Grains -- Broad heads: QAD Exodus Swept Back & G5 T3!

Nothing against mechanical broadhead but some states do require fixed broadhead.

Mechanical or fixed broadhead will take elk down quickly provided it is a properly placed shot.

I am going to use my 4 blade buzzcuts this year.

I'm liking the new QAD heads this year
    2014 BT RPM 50lbs for wife 378 grain arrow 271 fps and 42 fps faster then her elite.
    2013 Hoyt spyder LD specs to come.
    2012 CPXL SH camo 52lbs 436 grain arrow 279fps.
    2012 Elite answer 52.5lbs wifes
    SZ 350

Quote Originally Posted by coastiehunter2 View Post
    I am going to use my 4 blade buzzcuts this year.
    This is what I would use. I have never trusted mechanicals, just cant bring myself to hope that its gona open. Stick with a good sharp fixed blade. Remember all you need is good shot placement , and alot of luck to even find the Elk!
    08 FireStorm Blue Bowtech General 27.5 / 60# ,Toxonics 5 pin .019 Sight ,TT Orig Micro adj. Rest , Easton Bloodline 480's , Vanetec Hp 2.0 , 11" PythonStabalizer, Spott Hogg SNS Release,
    BC Bowstrings Shooting Staff www.bluffcountrybowstrings.com

I have harvested 3 bulls and a cow as well as 20+ deer with 85grains spitfires and Easton ACC 360's and Easton St Axis 400 arrows. Most all of the kills were complete pass thrus and the blood trails where impressive. My set up was shooting a 410-425 grain arrow between 275-285 fps. I have been very pleased with the Spitfires and they shoot right with my field points.

all my friends and family use muzzy 100grain,we've done pretty well with those between us all.in my state mechanicals arent allowed.
    Elite Gt500 with a Code red rest and Trophy taker V5 sight

I am shooting a Bear Anarchy @ 29" and maxed out at ~70 lbs. I haven't put it through a chrono yet. I am fine with a fixed broadhead, as long as they are easy to tune and shoot close to the practice blades. I have had good luck on Whitetails with mechanicals but we all know elk are different. I just want something that will put a bull down if I put the arrow where it needs to be.

ttt

VPAs! CNC Machined in one piece from high carbon tool grade steel. Heat treated and through hardened to 50 Rockwell. Spin tested for true flight. Best of all your satisfaction is guaranteed!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I shot one elk with a mechanical, and it actually didn't work too bad, but I'm a fixed head guy. Along with the others listed, the G5 Striker is also very good.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

My top fixed blade choices for elk are Exodus and Slick Trick Standard. My top mech choices are Grim Reaper 1 3/8" and Rocket Steelhead. I am eager to test the Ulmer Edge. It doesn't look very durable, to be honest, but I bet it will fly well. It might become my long range Mulie/Elk head.
    "His arrow will flash like lightning." Zechariah 9:14
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30, CBE Tek Hybrid sight, QAD Ultra Rest HDX, Injexion Arrows & Blazers, QAD Exodus broadheads, TightSpot quiver, Stokerized SS1 stabilizer, Spot Hogg Wiseguy release, Zeiss Conquest HD binocs, Leica 1000R rangefinder, Kifaru Timberline 2 pack, Bark River Gunny Hunter blade, Kuiu clothing, Lowa Cevedale boots

i like the steel force phat head,, very durable and flies real good too...

QAD Exodus, German Kinetic 125 XL and Phathead are all performing consistently well in extreme testing that Whitey and I (Brdymakr) are doing. We are posting vids and pics from a totally unbiased perspective. Best of luck to you on the hunt...I hope you get a chance to put your choice to the ultimate test on a big bull
    2nd Chance Archery - Obsession Archery Dealership & 4 Phase Tuning Services
    Obsession Evolution...353+fps... Thump 'em Dead
    Obsession Phoenix and Sniper GT...343+fps...The Pit Vipers of hunting rigs
    Change or get left behind

2 blade broadhead, Grizzly/Ace/Zwickey/VPA/Magnus etc

Another vote for the Exodus.
    BOWTECH RPM 360 BLACK OPS
    BOWTECH INSANITY BLACK OPS
    SPOTT-HOGG
    Slick Trick Viper Tricks/Grim Reapers

Thanks for all of the input...

This is going to be my first year chasing elk and I'm going with 4 blade buzzcuts
    2013 Hoyt Spyder 34 and Slick Tricks

I wont use ANY mechanical. CoC for me for everything. One less thing in the field that could go wrong
    Romey
    The sign of a marksman is not what we once did, because everyone has lucky shots from time to time. It's what you can do virtually every time, on demand

I feel more comfortable going after elk with a fixed blade but any head will do depending on shot placement.
    Hoyt blacked out alphaburner 60# 30" draw
    Gold Tip Velocity XT 300's tipped with Muzzy 100gr. 3 blades
    I'm not that easily distracted. Look! Something shiny!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Chapman View Post
    2 blade broadhead, Grizzly/Ace/Zwickey/VPA/Magnus etc
    My vote is for Grizzly (both standard and Kodiak). Dr Ashby's testing in Africa and elsewhere on live and freshly killed game has shown these types of broadheads, especially when using a Tanto tip, are consistently best in penetrating to the vitals and providing lethal hits and especially so when bone contact is made on the way there.
    Bow: 08/12 Martin Firecat Pro-X, 64-lb @ 29-in, B-Stinger stab, Quick Disconnect, custom dual STS & cable rod
    Sights & Rest: DS Advantage, HHA Pro-5519, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb Driver
    Arrows: GT Velocity XT300 (498gr@262fps, 22% FOC), GT BG 100+ (560gr@250fps, 18.6% FOC)
    Broadheads: 215gr Grizzly, 218gr Grizzly El Grande/Kodiak

in sept. i am hoping to put a meat seeker through a bull

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast