Thread: Mossy Oak Breakup - Too dark?

Mossy Oak Breakup - Too dark?

I have a Protec Fleece suit in Mossy Oak Breakup that is very comfortable and warm, but the Mossy Oak Breakup patters is VERY dark. I've read and heard it a ton, that camo pattern doesn't matter, but the MOBU pattern is so dark that it seems like it would stand out like a sore thumb against a tree. Even with the vast options of different patterns that seem to work, and guys killing deer back in "the day" with old school stuff, this camo just seems almost black. I could pick out an almost black suit in a tree from a mile away.

I like the suit, but am sorta worried it's way too dark to ever even blend in. Contemplating selling it because it's so dark, almost black. Anyone here think it doesn't matter, or does matter? What are you guys' thoughts on this pattern? By the time it gets cold enough here to wear, most leaves have dropped and I'm sitting in bare hardwoods, and to me this pattern looks absolutely nothing like my surroundings, and would appear to stand out bad. Got a great deal on it, and it's comfortable and I like it, just hate the pattern. Is it worth changing, or spending more to change?

TEAM 39 - Pass-Thru Posse
    Blackout Obsession Phoenix 28.5/65
    HHA - B-Stinger - HDX
    DCA - Grim Reapers

I would think it would stand out more late season.

Early season not so much, also depends on where you hunt.

There are many camo patterns that work with the right lighting and background. I would feel certain there will be cases that MOBU is too dark, but overall I think it would be fine for most cases. I like patterns like RealTree AP and MOBU because I think they work reasonably well with different backgrounds and lighting conditions. Neither is perfect, but they work well enough if you be still and play the wind correctly. There is simply no pattern that works in all lighting conditions with all backgrounds. I primarily mountain hunt now, so I worry more about what the material is than the camo pattern. You could spend a fortune buying camo patterns for all the backgrounds and lighting conditions you will face in hunting situations.

I hunt in NC, and I could see it working in early season, but in early season it's still in the 80's here. It's a pretty warm suit, so by the time I'd wear it, all the leaves would be gone and I'd be in open hardwoods.

I'm just wanting to see if it's just me being anal, or if such a dark pattern will actually stand out to a deer. Love the suit, hate the pattern. I guess my question is, in reality, does such a dark pattern really stand out to a deer? Or, should I actually opt for patterns that look like my surroundings? I don't know how well or what a deer can actually see, or pick out, but to me MOBU is virtually like wearing a brown and black suit with a couple leaves on it. Just hate to ditch such a comfortable nice suit if it's all in my head, but don't want to hang onto it either if it's not practical for my use.
    TEAM 39 - Pass-Thru Posse
    Blackout Obsession Phoenix 28.5/65
    HHA - B-Stinger - HDX
    DCA - Grim Reapers

Yes it is too dark for most applications i feel. I prefer lighter color camo for most conditions. Heck most of the time I have my best results wearing brown duck carharts. But the best camo we have found is the desert military ghuille suits.

Quote Originally Posted by twyatt View Post
    I hunt in NC, and I could see it working in early season, but in early season it's still in the 80's here. It's a pretty warm suit, so by the time I'd wear it, all the leaves would be gone and I'd be in open hardwoods.

I'm just wanting to see if it's just me being anal, or if such a dark pattern will actually stand out to a deer. Love the suit, hate the pattern. I guess my question is, in reality, does such a dark pattern really stand out to a deer? Or, should I actually opt for patterns that look like my surroundings? I don't know how well or what a deer can actually see, or pick out, but to me MOBU is virtually like wearing a brown and black suit with a couple leaves on it. Just hate to ditch such a comfortable nice suit if it's all in my head, but don't want to hang onto it either if it's not practical for my use.
    Its not just in you head....