Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: Make your own back quiver

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    162

    Make your own back quiver

    I recently saw some back quivers that someone made and it got me to thinking about making my own. Looks like it might be fun. I did some leather working back in high school (oh so many years ago) and enjoyed it but have yet to have a reason to do it again. Well, I want a back quiver and that sounds like reason enough. Does anyone have any information on this? Any basic instructions on making a simple quiver would be great. Any advice would be appreciated.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    774
    spinsheet, a quick Google search found a lot of different plans but I'll toss out a suggestion based on my own experience, your mileage may vary! I recently donated an old pair of motorcycle chaps to myself just for quiver making. On my initial attempt at a back quiver I got it to fit well and hang nicely I thought....and then I tried to use it in the field. After struggling around for half the day on a turkey hunt, arrows falling out and/or hanging on every limb I ducked under, I placed it in a spot of honor in my little DIY corner and there it rests today! I made a side quiver that slings kinda like a back quiver but protects the fletching and holds the arrows better. I used some thin-wall 4"pvc and covered that inside and out with the remaining leather from the chaps. That side quiver goes everywhere with me, from the range to the woods. It's a whole lot quieter, less aggravating, and my arrows never fall out or get hung up!
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight....your tactics suck!"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Spring, Texas
    Posts
    121
    Last edited by mmorton; May 6th, 2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Misspell
    Roland Jenkins DC Hunter Recurve 45# @ 28
    Omega Longbow 66", 47# @ 28
    Sarrels Sierra Longbow 64", 47# @ 28
    Samick Sage 35#@28

  4. #4
    I made this one. I'd never even touched a back quiver before I made it, so I was just going by instinct and a few photos I looked at online. It works fine, but I plan to make a side quiver like Long Rifle is talking about before hunting season.




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Talladega, Alabama
    Posts
    27,054
    Quote Originally Posted by mmorton View Post
    Thats got to be the hardest place to register on that I've been to. Right off the bat they tell ya to not register here......
    Athens Archery Factory Staff Shooter
    Life is too short to live without a Sharps Quigley
    Broughton Art and knives com]
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by rembrandt View Post
    Thats got to be the hardest place to register on that I've been to. Right off the bat they tell ya to not register here......
    It's actually a great site for traditional shooters.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    OHIO
    Posts
    1,290
    Quote Originally Posted by rembrandt View Post
    Thats got to be the hardest place to register on that I've been to. Right off the bat they tell ya to not register here......
    "PLEASE DO NOT REREGISTER!!!" RE-Register.
    The best book I ever read on human behavior was about training dogs

  8. #8
    The first red fox to get within range will become my quiver project.

  9. #9
    I was going to make a back quiver as well when I read of the same complaints that Long Rifle had with one so I tried tying a tube to my back and sure enough it was frustrating as hell. Loud, hard to get to, always catching on branches and sliding around. I decided not to make a back quiver and instead made a side hip holster for field points and I use a Kwikee Kwiver with the Sidewinder hip adaptor for broadheads.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Talladega, Alabama
    Posts
    27,054
    I'm still contemplating making a quiver that can be worn on the back or on the hip via snaps. Gotta do some drawings and thinking on this one but what the heck...I've got the time and plenty leather......
    Athens Archery Factory Staff Shooter
    Life is too short to live without a Sharps Quigley
    Broughton Art and knives com]
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    162
    Eminart - that quiver looks great! Very simple but nice, that looks just like something that I want to make. I like the smooth leather look of that one more that the brushed leather look of others that I've seen. You've given me something to strive for.

    I'm using a side quiver now and really don't like it, I think that a back quiver might work better for me. I don't hunt and not ducking under brush and branches so that all shouldn't be much of an issue.

  12. #12
    Long rifle,
    These forums are for disseminating information, do not hold out in us. Start a build along thread for your side quiver please. I can follow instructions but I lack imagination to come up with an idea on my own. Please do us a favor here

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Talladega, Alabama
    Posts
    27,054
    Here is one I made a few years back....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Athens Archery Factory Staff Shooter
    Life is too short to live without a Sharps Quigley
    Broughton Art and knives com]
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The woods across from the woods
    Posts
    463
    Question for you guys since I'm getting in on this late... I'm in the middle of building my own and a little stumped on a method to [I]lock[/I your arrows in...

    Basically because this will be my field quiver and with shooting broadheads, I will need something to keep them from touching. I only carry 3-4 arrows with me so I dont think it would be too hard...

    Any input?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Talladega, Alabama
    Posts
    27,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge32617 View Post
    Question for you guys since I'm getting in on this late... I'm in the middle of building my own and a little stumped on a method to [I]lock[/I your arrows in...

    Basically because this will be my field quiver and with shooting broadheads, I will need something to keep them from touching. I only carry 3-4 arrows with me so I dont think it would be too hard...

    Any input?
    Your gonna have to figure out something to either fit the points into or something to hold the arrows apart. Would cut off golf tubes help in any way?
    Athens Archery Factory Staff Shooter
    Life is too short to live without a Sharps Quigley
    Broughton Art and knives com]
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The woods across from the woods
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by rembrandt View Post
    Your gonna have to figure out something to either fit the points into or something to hold the arrows apart. Would cut off golf tubes help in any way?
    hmm thats a good idea, I'll have to look into that... I also was thinking of maybe just gluing foam at the bottom and thhen use lengths of leather to seperate the arrows.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Talladega, Alabama
    Posts
    27,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge32617 View Post
    hmm thats a good idea, I'll have to look into that... I also was thinking of maybe just gluing foam at the bottom and thhen use lengths of leather to seperate the arrows.
    Might work......I don't know how long the foam will last. What is in the 2 and 3 piece bow quivers where the arrowhead fits? Might look into that.
    Athens Archery Factory Staff Shooter
    Life is too short to live without a Sharps Quigley
    Broughton Art and knives com]
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The woods across from the woods
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by rembrandt View Post
    Might work......I don't know how long the foam will last. What is in the 2 and 3 piece bow quivers where the arrowhead fits? Might look into that.
    My bad, thats what I was thinking. Not foam like styrafoam (spelled wrong I'm sure) but the foam in our quivers like kwikee, bohning, etc..

    That of figure a way to position the arrow perfectly where the blades don't touch the walls of the quiver.

    Anyone on here also made their own quiver?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Talladega, Alabama
    Posts
    27,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge32617 View Post
    My bad, thats what I was thinking. Not foam like styrafoam (spelled wrong I'm sure) but the foam in our quivers like kwikee, bohning, etc..

    That of figure a way to position the arrow perfectly where the blades don't touch the walls of the quiver.

    Anyone on here also made their own quiver?
    If you use mechanicals, the golf tubes should work. Thats what is holding my arrows apart in the photos above. That just might work!
    Athens Archery Factory Staff Shooter
    Life is too short to live without a Sharps Quigley
    Broughton Art and knives com]
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The woods across from the woods
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by rembrandt View Post
    If you use mechanicals, the golf tubes should work. Thats what is holding my arrows apart in the photos above. That just might work!
    I noticed in your sig you shoot a lot of trad.

    I was just searching through old posts and I'm flirting with the idea of buying a recurve to practice with this summer and possibly take to the woods this fall... Any advice?

    I'm looking at the Samick red stag

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by rembrandt View Post
    Here is one I made a few years back....
    Holy smokes, dude....that's gorgeous!

    Ray

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Talladega, Alabama
    Posts
    27,054
    Quote Originally Posted by BLACK WOLF View Post
    Holy smokes, dude....that's gorgeous!

    Ray
    Well, its fair to middlin......I could do better now that I've studied these new quiver makers. I think that was the second one I ever made and it wasn't easy. You put in alot of time on one like that and these companies can turn them out in numbers and offer them at a cheaper rate than I can offer mine due to the time spent. For the pocket I made a mold out of a piece of 2X4 and wet the leather and tacked it around the mold. It works great for the pocket. I want to do another but more traditional looking........Oh, thanks for the compliment!
    Athens Archery Factory Staff Shooter
    Life is too short to live without a Sharps Quigley
    Broughton Art and knives com]
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Talladega, Alabama
    Posts
    27,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge32617 View Post
    I noticed in your sig you shoot a lot of trad.

    I was just searching through old posts and I'm flirting with the idea of buying a recurve to practice with this summer and possibly take to the woods this fall... Any advice?

    I'm looking at the Samick red stag
    That would be a good choice. It just depends on what you want and what you want to pay. You can find some good buys in the ad sections. the Samick Sage is a good one and if you want an ILF bow, Hoyt Excel is a good place to start. There are alot of good choices out there now and like I said, the ad section is a great place to get a good takedown bow........
    Athens Archery Factory Staff Shooter
    Life is too short to live without a Sharps Quigley
    Broughton Art and knives com]
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    162
    Rem, that is an amazing looking quiver. To be honest though, I prefer a more simple look but that face that you made that one yourself is amazing. I do like the way you made the pocket though, I was wondering how I would do something like that. Most pockets that I've seen are so tight to the quiver as to be useless for anything other that a credit card! Great idea and I'm gonna try that.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Talladega, Alabama
    Posts
    27,054
    Quote Originally Posted by spinsheet View Post
    Rem, that is an amazing looking quiver. To be honest though, I prefer a more simple look but that face that you made that one yourself is amazing. I do like the way you made the pocket though, I was wondering how I would do something like that. Most pockets that I've seen are so tight to the quiver as to be useless for anything other that a credit card! Great idea and I'm gonna try that.
    Thanks, if I remember correctly, I took a piece of 2X4, cut it the length I wanted for the pocket and I used the sander to round off the bottom edges the way I wanted them and then glued the piece onto a piece of 1X6. that gave me enough room to tack down the leather after I had it soaked and mallable. I left the leather on the mold till it dried and it worked perfect.

    I'm gonna make another quiver for myself...a little more traditional and I'm gonna have one of my knives I'm beginning to make on the front of the quiver or on the strap. Haven't decided exactly where I want to put it but it will enhance the attractiveness of the quiver I think. It will have to be a small knive so it won't add too much weight.......
    Athens Archery Factory Staff Shooter
    Life is too short to live without a Sharps Quigley
    Broughton Art and knives com]
    DCA Staff Shooter
    Athens Afflixtion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •