Thread: HHA sight - achilles heel? Help please.

HHA sight - achilles heel? Help please.

I just got my first single pin sight...the broom adjustment OL 5510 I believe. So far, I got it configured and am liking it on ALOT of levels. Pin seems plenty bright (was worried about the .010), small housing is great (concerned I would have needed the 2"), quick adjustments, seems like a great solution for hunting and keeps the scope uncluttered free of multiple-pins, I don't need the microdial each foot capabilities of the wheel....heck, my fixed pin sights worked great for years at 10 yds apart. Sounds like the perfect hunting sight, right?

So anyway, here is my question. left to right windage adjustments, no problem but....are there any vertical adjustments to the sight settings I can not figure out (I know you move the dial up and down but I am refering to the fixed reference marks)? Specifically, I had my tape set dead nuts on for the arrows, vanes, peep, and heads I am using. However, I had to move my peep a hair and that consequently threw my tape off a couple yards but still pretty close. I can probably live with it but not excited about the prospect at all! Nor am I jumping up and down about the prospect of buying new tapes everytime I change strings, bow poundage, move the peep, change arrows, etc.? Is this the achilles heal of a potentially otherwise perfect sight? I like the idea of neatly printed, colored sight tapes. I don't want to have to set and write in yardages for 7 marks (20-80) on a blank sticker/paper nor feel I should have too as I bit the bullet and bought this sight new.

Mahalo
    2014 Obsession Phoenix
    Threads by Jeremy

If it is the dial sight (DS Series), I think you can loosen the wheel, reset 20 pin and start over but it been a long time since I read the instructions. Chris Hamm at HHA customer service will take your call and quickly answer all questions. Super guy and super company for customer service.

Pretty sure if it is a slider it is peel and stick or new tape.

Also if dropping poundage, it will change your tape spreads (number) anyway.
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPX Black Ops 29.5/70 - HHA DS-5510 w/3rd Axis, QAD HDX, Octane BalanceX, Batam, G5 T3, GoPro
    2013 American Eagle Bows Prototype Shooter 30-50#- Oneida Black Eagle built by American Eagle Bows 30-50# (Bowfishing)
    2012 Mission Menace (Bowfishing) Lot's others...

I'm using three of the sliders at this point and have never even used a tape. I'm a natural born tinkerer and always trying different stuff, so I've never felt it was worthwhile to "waste" a tape. Figure I might need them one day when I get everything just perfect.

Anyway, what I've done for years is to cover the area below the pointer with a silver Sharpie and use a pencil to mark my distances. Super easy to erase the marks and make new ones as needed. Not very elegant, but it's surely flexible.

I believe, but have not tried, that you could do the same thing by taking some emery cloth or steel wool to remove the anodizing and just marking on the bare Aluminum. Now, before somone gets all huffy on me, I've used this method in my home state of Texas, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, Alberta, and South Africa and it has worked well for me. Might not for anyone else.

Best of luck to you.

Slotted extension bracket for vertical adjustments.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You make ANY change/adjustment to a bow and that will change the sights slightly------no matter what sight you use. It is not just an HHA thing.
    Have a good day and a better hunt

Jus readjust your tape. You can get another tape set from HHA. you can also have someone with OT2 or similar archery program make tapes for you.
    '11 ELITE PULSE, '14 ELITE ENERGY 32
    "ELITE MAFIA"

There is a screw in the center of wheel you can loosen and adjust to correct your marks it is a allen head, you have to push the allen wrench through that hole in the center.

Red arrow archery llc staff Team Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by fourbarrel View Post
    There is a screw in the center of wheel you can loosen and adjust to correct your marks it is a allen head, you have to push the allen wrench through that hole in the center.
    Yep, it is a 7/64" hex wrench.

Kev
    <><
    Kev <><
    2011 Black Supra 60# for target, 38" ATA
    2011 Black Supra 60# for hunting, 38" ATA
    "I have never let down and then wished that I hadn't."

you can get new tapes from hha and everytime you move something it will adjust where you hit regardless of sight.
    06' Mathews Switchback XT 70lbs 27in DL
    09' Elite Z28 70lbs 27in DL Realtree AP
    HHA OL-5510's Qad Rests
    Slick Trick Broadheads
    String and Tune By Tony219er Bow up Custom strings & Tuning

Here is a great answer to the problem of using up your sight tapes and having to purchase a new set each time you make an adjustment to your bow. Purchase a new set of sight tapes and run them through your scanner then save the image on your computer. Use some photo paper to print out your scanned image and you will have a perfectly matched copy of your tapes. Use what you want and toss the rest. The next time you need a tape that you had previously used, scan and print the tape image again and you are good to go. I have done this many times and my scanned and printed tapes are always a perfect match to the factory version.

Automan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    He trains my hands for battle so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze. Ps. 18:34 (NASB)

When adjusting your tape , shot at a given distance till dead on say 30 yards, lock down the wheel before you loosen the adjustment screw in the center of the wheel and hold wheel and turn outside ring that has tape on at and set it to the 30 yard mark and lock down. This should solve your problem. If any other problems call Chris and he will take care of you as you won't find a better company with better customer service. Great sight, Great Company, Great
    People, & GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE....

Now why didn't I think of that? With todays high def scanners and printers it should have been such a simple thought.

Thank you, I will steal your idea.
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPX Black Ops 29.5/70 - HHA DS-5510 w/3rd Axis, QAD HDX, Octane BalanceX, Batam, G5 T3, GoPro
    2013 American Eagle Bows Prototype Shooter 30-50#- Oneida Black Eagle built by American Eagle Bows 30-50# (Bowfishing)
    2012 Mission Menace (Bowfishing) Lot's others...

Thanks for all your suggestions. Very Helpful.

Just for clarification, the OP was in reference to the "broom" not the "dial".

Yes I agree that adjustments to the bow effect ALL/ANY sights used...however, for my multi-pins I can gang adjust the vertical and reset the zero as it were if that makes any sense.
    2014 Obsession Phoenix
    Threads by Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by brokenlittleman View Post
    Slotted extension bracket for vertical adjustments.
    Where can I buy one of these?
    Hoyt Faktor 34 28.5" 60lbs, Easton Axis 400, HHA OL-5510, Ripcord Code Red, Tightspot
    Hoyt CE RKT 28.5" 63lbs, Easton Axis 400, HHA OL-5519, Ripcord Code Red, Tightspot
    Hoyt Trykon 29" 70lbs, Easton Bloodline 330, Ripcord

I would imagine any HHA dealer should be able to get it for you.