Archery Talk Forum banner

Shooting "styles". Is there a "right" one?

2K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  BarneySlayer 
#1 ·
Ive been getting back into the traditional and instinctive shooting game. I started in archery many moons ago as a whipper snapper shooting an old recurve (remember being a lot better at it than too :( ).

Ive been shooting my longbow a lot more over the last year, and can admit its been a inconsistent, frustrating venture. One day im on fire, the next im all over the place.

For the most part, my shooting has improved. But ive noticed that I use two different "styles" of shooting depending on distance.

For the most part, ive been shooting I guess what they call "Hill style", that hunched over high shoulder style with a heavily canted bow. I hold my bow arm out, lift my bow arm shoulder so it touches my jaw bone while kind of scrunching down my head, and with three fingers under come to full draw, touch my thumb to the corner of my mouth and make my shot. I dont hold long, probably only 2-4 seconds on average. Ive been reading up on shooting styles, and I see many condemn this hunched up style of shooting.

This has been working ok I guess, and ive noticed that out to 25 yards or so im consciously using a "gap" aiming style. But at farther distances my shooting style changes dramatically. At 30, 40 yards im shooting a much more vertical bow, my bow shoulder drops, my head comes "up", and my form is much closer to a more vertical, typical compound shooting form. I noticed today too, that im at least not consciously thinking about a "gap" when I aim at longer distances, so im guessing its a more true "instinctive" aiming method at farther distances.

Now to my question. Is one form or style superior to others? Should I be training myself to stick to one "style" or just go with what ive been doing if it works?

See less See more
#3 ·
KG -

If you're new or returning to the sport, you're probably best served by choosing one style (that works) and sticking with it. Once that's solid, then your plan for shooting will dictate how many variations you'll need (or want) and more importantly, how many you can make work.

Regarding that hunched over "Hill style".
Archery Longbow Individual sports Gungdo Fujian white crane

Is this the "Hill" you are talking about?

As far as one style being "superior" to another, that might depend on who you talking to. Good form and solid mechanics are just that, how you adapt them is something else.

Viper1 out.

#6 ·
KG -

If you're new or returning to the sport, you're probably best served by choosing one style (that works) and sticking with it. Once that's solid, then your plan for shooting will dictate how many variations you'll need (or want) and more importantly, how many you can make work.

Regarding that hunched over "Hill style".
View attachment 1362230
Is this the "Hill" you are talking about?

As far as one style being "superior" to another, that might depend on who you talking to. Good form and solid mechanics are just that, how you adapt them is something else.

Viper1 out.
Closer to this actually. But not as severe (I dont think).

Stock photography Vintage advertisement

But, the photo you posted is closer to what my form turns into as the distance to the target increases.

#4 ·
Is one form or style superior to others?
When speaking in generalities...Yes...but it ultimately depends upon the individual. Some forms or styles of shooting a bow and arrow will have advantages over others under specific circumstances. Just research a specific goal and you can begin to see what and how those archers shoot to achieve those goals.

Should I be training myself to stick to one "style" or just go with what ive been doing if it works?
If it's truly working for you...than stick to it...but if you feel like there could be some improvement...research some different styles to see if they might have some advantages based on your goals.

Ray :shade:

#5 ·
I think there are two things to consider: which methods are most appropriate for the type of shooting you do, and which methods you enjoy to use the most. Barebow offers opportunity for creativity. It is not a bad idea to give a few approaches a try and see what resonates with you.

#7 ·
Notice how Hill's form doesn't actually change from the two pictures. He merely bends at the waist and knees, he maintains the same low shoulder and upright head for both.

-Grant

#11 ·
Of course there is.... it is the one you are comfortable with and can repeatable comfortable accuracy... and where you have a proper anchor and use your natural musculature to draw and hold... and can have repeatable accuracy..... with comfort.... that is the proper form and style for you.

I draw looking at my target center, then as I come to full anchor, I just take a gander down my arrow to the center of my target and about that time I'm releasing my arrow... :grin: Don't know what you call it.... but my arrow I think confirms my windage, my shot is based upon hours and years of shooting from 5 to 30 yards and 22 mostly right now in my shooting lane... soon to be moved to my 3 acres where I can get up to 100 yards or more if I need...

Aloha... :cool::beer:

#12 ·
I say that if you can shoot a bow consistently with the same form, then you are better off. I use a hybrid self taught mediocre form but it is consistent so I hit where I aim.

I am blessed with a wife that shares my addictions

#17 ·
Howard Hill was a very good archer and I've seen some fantastic shots he made. I think he was a world champion for years......I saw him at the theater once shoot a running antelope in Africa at 100 yds going left to right. He had to lead that animal big time and nailed him......

#18 ·
We all have our own "style", but I'll bet if you looked at the best shooters you would find a lot in common between them. We are all build relatively the same way, so it's no surprise that there are solid fundamentals of shooting form that work for everybody. Small variations in the fundamentals to suit individual body type and temperament are what gives each of us our own "style".

#22 ·
Viper's "Shooting the Stickbow" is one to consider.....Also, watch RangerB's video in the Sticky on top of this forum.....good examples on how to shoot correctly!

#24 ·
Like Viper said, good form and solid mechanics....to me that's the "style" to work towards, the rest of it is a matter of what works best for you or what feels the best to you....IMHO

#25 ·
Being around both field and target archery since the mid 1970's I can tell you that although there are certain recommended physical rules of archery that have been a proven time and time again, it all comes down to being able to reproduce your shooting consistently. I once knew this older guy when I was a kid who had a dead (finger shooter) release, but because he did it consistent;y he normally out shot 95% of the shooters in his day.

Bob Furman
Phoenix, AZ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.