Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Brand/Grade Oil Do You Use?

Amsoil. Enough said

If I recall correctly synthetic oil first appeared in the mid to late seventies .Its claim to fame was that it stays the same viscosity at all temperatures thus lubricating better at start up . I believe this is still its only additional benefit .It has no better lubricating value than standard oil , nor does it stay any cleaner . I have not waisted a dime on this stuff and I never will . Any claims of how much better it is are made to justify the " HIGH "price.

Mach 10

Another satisfied Amsoil user. 15w-40 full synthetic

I change my synthetic every 4,000...... Oil is important but the filter is the most important... NEVER BUY OIL FILTERS FROM WALMART!!!! any brand they are all lowest end filters....

For years I always used Castrol GTX 20/50, I was wholesaling cars and would buy it by the 55 gallon drum and pump it into containers for my drivers to use when picking up used cars.

I got friendly with a guy who became a best friend. He was a race car driver. He told me to use Valvoline 20/50 RACING oil. So I tried it out and actually liked it. I was cleaner looking then Castrol. Castrol has a burnt smell to it and Valvoline is see thru even.

Recently the synthetic craze came and I put a synthetic change in my 1998 Tahoe around 2005 or so. Worse move I ever made. It made all my seals leak like a sieve. Truck never stopped leaking oil since.

I became a fan of Valvoline racing oil. But I am not sure they even make it anymore. They have so many other things,blended or high mileage etc.

After readig this I'm gonna try Amsoil I think. Wonder if it makes an old Tahoe,,I just bought a 2005 leak thru the seals like what happened to my 98 tahoe.
    Acts 10:13
    <+><

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 10 View Post
    If I recall correctly synthetic oil first appeared in the mid to late seventies .Its claim to fame was that it stays the same viscosity at all temperatures thus lubricating better at start up . I believe this is still its only additional benefit .It has no better lubricating value than standard oil , nor does it stay any cleaner . I have not waisted a dime on this stuff and I never will . Any claims of how much better it is are made to justify the " HIGH "price.

Mach 10

Sorry I got to disagree with you.

I have been using Amsoil in all 4 stroke and 2 stroke engines for decades and found it to be superior to petrolium in all types of oil and greases.

Not to mention on my 2 cycle engines I no longer foul plugs and need multiple cans of premix and I can run everything at 100:1. Even my chainsaws.

The best thing for a automatic transmission.
    Mike, proud member of the NCWID!
    USA
    PROUD MEMBER OF OHM RESISTANCE
    AR34 RAM.5 / PSE Bow Madness 32 Extreme sights, WB rests

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEY CUSTOM-G View Post
    For years I always used Castrol GTX 20/50, I was wholesaling cars and would buy it by the 55 gallon drum and pump it into containers for my drivers to use when picking up used cars.

I got friendly with a guy who became a best friend. He was a race car driver. He told me to use Valvoline 20/50 RACING oil. So I tried it out and actually liked it. I was cleaner looking then Castrol. Castrol has a burnt smell to it and Valvoline is see thru even.

Recently the synthetic craze came and I put a synthetic change in my 1998 Tahoe around 2005 or so. Worse move I ever made. It made all my seals leak like a sieve. Truck never stopped leaking oil since.

I became a fan of Valvoline racing oil. But I am not sure they even make it anymore. They have so many other things,blended or high mileage etc.

After readig this I'm gonna try Amsoil I think. Wonder if it makes an old Tahoe,,I just bought a 2005 leak thru the seals like what happened to my 98 tahoe.
    If it leaks already, it will still leak.

Synthetic will not "cause" any leaks.
    Mike, proud member of the NCWID!
    USA
    PROUD MEMBER OF OHM RESISTANCE
    AR34 RAM.5 / PSE Bow Madness 32 Extreme sights, WB rests

Mobile 1 in 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP
    Whatever in 1988 F150
    Lucas 10W-40 in 1966 Chevelle
    Maxima 530XX in 2006 Yamaha Raptor 700R
    Scott Outdoors & Archery Everything you need with low prices and fast shipping!
    Arrows from Beman - Carbon Express - Easton - Gold Tip - Victory
    Hunting Apparel such as Scent-Lok - Robinson Outdoors Inc. Scentblocker - Natural Gear - Russell Outdoors - & More!
    scott-outdoors-archery@comcast.net

use mobil 1 in all my trucks, change every 3000 miles, have 275,000 on one truck does not use any oil

I use Amsoil exclusively on all of my vehicles.

I work for Shell and we make Pennzoil, Rotella, Quaker State, Shell, AC Delco. All Great oils. I get all my oil free, Ya I know I suck, but My truck gets Rotella 15-40 and my cars get Pennzoil. After seeing all the testing they do it amazes me the tolerances they keep, much higher than they need to keep. Trust these brands, all great oil.
    2012 BOWTECH INSANITY CPXL 60# , VAPOR TRAIL LIMB DRIVER PRO-V , G5 3+1 SIGHT

2006 BOWTECH ALLEGIANCE 60# , VAPOR TRAIL, COBRA SIDEWINDER LX 5 PIN

" Speed is just a question of money, just how fast do you want to spend it"

Mobile 1 full synthetic in teh Ford Focus commuter car. Have been doing 5k between changes, but bumping it a little longer.

Whatever the Toyota Dealership has in Synthetic for the Rav 4 and Tundra. I think Mobile 1 makes the Toyota brand synthetic.

Tundra gets changed once a year but doesn't get driven much.
    Rav 4 every 5-6k. Mechanic said it was the best maintained vehicle with 100k he has seen. Hoping to get 300k out of it.

Mobil 1 synthetic in everything.
    Hoyt Rampage XT 54lb @ 28", Trophy Ridge Pursuit, Whisker Biscuit, Tru-Fire Hurricane fold-back, Carbon Express Mayhem 250, Grim Reaper Razortip 100gr 1 3/8"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12