Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How I make my B Stingers Tutorial

How I make my B Stingers Tutorial

This is a brief tutorial of how I have been making my homemade B Stingers. I had some people ask me how I made this or that in the past and I wanted to build another one so i took pics and thought I would post everything here. The aluminum tube can be bought at wal mart in the form of a telescoping golf ball retriever or a telescoping trecking pole. The nice thing about the trecking poles is they come in all sorts of cool anodized colors. For this tutorial I used a golf ball retriever and it is silver. Both poles will cost you 13 bucks a piece at wal mart.

What you will need is a piece of 5/8" aluminum tubing, a 5/16X 1 1/2X 24 allen head bolt, 3 5/16X24 nuts, an extra 5/16 nut of any thread pitch, a 1/4X20 coarse thread long nut, a tubing cutter, sandpaper, JB Weld, super glue, a 1/4X20 coarse thread bolt, some packing foam, a pocket knife, a small file, and some 1/4X2" fender washers for the end weight.
    DSCF5224.JPG

The first step is to cut your tube to length. Then take a pocket knife debur the inside of the tube as the tubing cutters have a tendency to flare the tube inwards. Then take your sandpaper and sand the inside of both ends really well as well as removing the razor sharp edge on each end.
    DSCF5225.JPG

Then take your packing foam and use your tube as a cookie cutter. The foam used here is inside a dish network reciever box on new receivers. I get it at work.Slowly put light downward pressure on the foam as you spin the tube back and forth in a twisting motion just like your cutting cookies. The tube will cut through the foam as you twist and you will have a nice little plug of foam inside your tube. Do this as many times as you need to fill your tube with foam leaving a small amount on each end for your inserts. I like to actaully compress the foam together when I stick my second insert in and glue it.

IMG_5257.JPGIMG_5258.JPG

Take your 1 1/2 allen bolt and thread your 3 nuts on all the way and tighten with a wrench. Notice the grind marke on the nuts. I like to grind divets in each nut on the FLATS ONLY to give the JB Weld something to really bite into. The reason it is flats only is because the 5/16 nuts fit perfectly inside a 5/8" tube so the nuts are being used to hold everything square and plum while the jb weld dries. The JB weld fills in the areas between the flats and the tube. Take a small file and just "knock" each point of each nut with it to scuff it a little. This will still give you a snug fit inside the tube but not so snug that you need pliers to pull it should something need changed. also take your 1/4 long nut and grind divets on it as well. On it it doesn't matter if you grind divets on the points as it doesn't fit snug. More on that later.

IMG_5255.JPGIMG_5254.JPG

Clean and degrease your stud and nuts and let dry. Mix up some JB Weld really good. I prefer to use regular JB Weld instead of JB Quick. It takes overnight to dry but it is a stronger bond.Then generously roll the stud in JB Weld and insert down into your tube end till the last nut is flush with the end of the tube. Carefully use your finger and wipe any excess that overflows off the end of the tube. (remember I said to use sandpaper to remove razor sharp edge from tube ends?) Set aside and let dry for several hours.

IMG_5262.JPGIMG_5265.JPG

You remember in my parts list I listed an extra 5/16 nut? Well here is why. Since the 1/4" long nut is so small inside the 5/8" tube, the extra nut is used to center the long nut and keep it straight and plum while the JB Weld dries. Here's what we do. Sand and scuff the bases of each nut. Lightly apply 4 drops of super glue to the 5/16 nut as it sits on a flat surface. Then very carefully and meticulously put the 2 together making sure the 1/4 long nut is centered on the 5/16 nut as perfectly as possible to make sure the long nut is not sitting crooked on top of the 5/16 nut. Then mix up some more JB Weld and apply a small amount all around the base of the 1/4 long nut and let it flow down onto the 5/16 nut. Carefully scrape any excess that may run over the side of the 5/16 nut and let dry overnight.

IMG_5261.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Everyones an expert. If you don't believe me, just ask them.

2012 Martin Silencer Nitro cams
    1997 Martin Speed Demon, Z Cams

Heres a pic of the 1/4 long nut after the JB Weld has dried

IMG_5275.JPG

Now that the JB weld is dry, Carefully take your small file and just knock the points off the 5/16 nut so the nut fits snug inside the tube, but not so snug you can barely slide it in. Thread in your 1/4 bolt all the way to the end of the 1/4 long nut so as to protect the threads from getting JB Weld inside them. The 1/4 nut also acts as a level. In other words after you got it in and the JB is drying, spin your tube around slowly looking at the protruding bolt and use it as a guage to make sure your insert is square in the tube. If it is crooked, carefull adjust to make straight.Mix up some JB Weld and generously roll the entire nut in the JB, then insert the nut into the other tube end all the way to flush.(I actually prefer to recess it about 1/8" below the surface then cover the entire top with more JB Weld.) Now even though the JB Is thick, it will still flow downhill and continue to burp out air pockets. If you did your foam inserts right, you should have them slightly compressed and they should act as a barrier to keep the JB Weld from flowing any further inside the tube. I had to keep topping off the JB weld every 5 minutes until it quit burping out air.

IMG_5277.JPGIMG_5271.JPG

I will post more later as far as the finished product and I will try to post some specs as far as weight of the tube ect. Total cost of an average B Stinger done this way as around 20-25 bucks.

Good looking project
    Genio 7 by W&W Black, CXL-55 by Carbon Express, Sure Loc Supreme sight, Extreme scope, Ripcord Code Red, Stan MagMicro 3, Cartel Carbon Stabilizer

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by." Douglas Adams

Thanks. I am gonna try and borrow my ex wifes digital postal scale and weigh the finished tube and the weights and post the measurements.

Well here is a pic of the finished product for all who care to see....which I gather from responses is quite low.... but oh well. I did say i would post results so I will hold up to my word before I end this thread. The empty bar weighs in 2.5 ounces for a 10.25" bar. Each washer weighs .8 ounces. So you can do the math on that.

IMG_5278.JPG

Looks nice!

Sent from my DROIDX
    2013 Hoyt Carbon Martix G3

Thanks

Great work!
    If it's brown, it's down. If it has spot's, pick one! BOWTECH INVASION

Very nice!
    ~ 2011 Bowtech Invasion Black Opps
    ~ 2011 Bowtech Invasion MOTS

this is awesome, i'm definitely going to have to try it

very nice

Thanks for sharing. Very nice stabilizer and very easy to duplicate with easily available parts.

Thanks guys. It may not be fancy or machined on a lathe but it is something a person without fancy tools can build.

Great job and very nice picture work too might i add lol

Looks good.

get you some rubber 2" washers to go between the weight washers for vib. damptners. just a idea.good job!!

rather than j-b welding 3- nuts together why not just buy a rod coupling in the 1/4"x 20 or 5/16"x24 thread.it would save some time and money?

I think a 5/16 coupling or long nut, for the rear (bow side) may be a good idea then use a removeable stud for the screw. As far as the weight end, isn't the long nut in the picture the same as a rod coupling?

i came back and read it again and you are right that is the same as a rod coupling.the first time i thought you was makeing a rod coupling with the 3-nuts.you did a fine job thanks for shearing it with us.

Quote Originally Posted by kc hay seed View Post
    i came back and read it again and you are right that is the same as a rod coupling.the first time i thought you was makeing a rod coupling with the 3-nuts.you did a fine job thanks for shearing it with us.
    I see your point. But still i agree with what u said that a future one should probably have a long nut instead of a stud. That way the person can tailor his stud length by how far he screws it in there. Thanks for the inadvertant input.

I like it.
    sine labore nihil

I'm interested in playing around with some product from here.
    http://www.rockwestcomposites.com/br...FSKhtgodFh9mXQ
    Fort Lauderdale Archers

There ya go...Thats a neat idea.

nice job! I like it.
    Bowtech Assassin, Qad, HHA, Bloodsport arrows, Hoyt RXT, apache,
    Wifes Bowtech Heartbreaker, Aae rest,Carbon Express Arrows,Slick trick 100
    Bear Kodiak Mag, Thunderhorn Boa, Carbon Express arrows
    Son 1 Hoyt Charger,.Son 2 Diamond Razors Edge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast