38 64.41%
  • oats

15 25.42%
  • other

6 10.17%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oats vs clover for food plot?

Oats vs clover for food plot?

Got a section of my property perfect for a plot, approximately 3 acres.
    I am hearing clover is the best choice but some here really talk Oats up as well.

I am planning on working the ground shortly for a late summer planting.

I want the most attractive plot for the deer to keep using through deer season!

Should I go clover, oats or a combination?
    2013 Elite Answer
    2014 Xpedition Archery XRing 6

B-Stinger / HHA / QAD / CX Maxima / RAGE / Center Circle & Retrieverfishin strings

Where are you located?

To hunt over in the fall in the mid west i would plant oats no doubt, if you are the property owner i would plant half of it in clover for a year round food source for your deer and turkey.

Depending on the shape of the plot you could put the clover in the middle and plant around it in oats.

For fall oats all day long. For spring-summer clover is the ticket. But neither would be my choice. I do plant both just not my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    Lethal Injection Archery

Bought evolved harvest mega plot.. it has both and more.
    I picked up the big mega plot bag and 2 small bags of shot plot at walmart for $11 total.. on the clearance shelf!
    Team #18 - DEADLOCK

Quote Originally Posted by irishhacker View Post
    Bought evolved harvest mega plot.. it has both and more.
    I picked up the big mega plot bag and 2 small bags of shot plot at walmart for $11 total.. on the clearance shelf!
    this is what would do

Oats are about all I plany anymore..best fall plot around IMO

Quote Originally Posted by dtrkyman View Post
    Where are you located?

To hunt over in the fall in the mid west i would plant oats no doubt, if you are the property owner i would plant half of it in clover for a year round food source for your deer and turkey.

Depending on the shape of the plot you could put the clover in the middle and plant around it in oats.

I am in Michigan.

Would like something to attract spring/fall but most importantly to hunt over Oct/Nov/Dec
    2013 Elite Answer

B-Stinger / HHA / QAD / CX Maxima / RAGE / Center Circle & Retrieverfishin strings

[QUOTE=Kb83;1064203215]For fall oats all day long. For spring-summer clover is the ticket. But neither would be my choice. I do plant both just not my favorite.

kb83 I am in Michigan also. What are you using?
    2013 Elite Answer

With 3 acres to plant I would put in both clover and oats. That's a great combination that will help bring deer to your property almost year round.

I like the idea of the Annual plot also, I have very limited time to maintain plots that need cutting, spraying, etc. at specific times.
    Like the idea of a low maintanace plot.
    2013 Elite Answer

Combo
    "I don't like REPEAT offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent
    "We must reject the idea that everytime a law is broken that society is guilty rather than the law breaker" - Pres. Reagan
    "To say that guns kill people is like saying that the fork made Rosie O'Donnell fat!" - Woodmaster

just make sure your soil has good PH or whatever you plant aint worth squat.

Hard to beat clover

frost seed clover in march then drill in oats in the spring and you will have a good stand for turkey hunting in the spring and then mow it and the clover witll come back really thick for summer. then plow and plant rye/winter wheat combo late summer/early fall and it will be killer all season and winter long

I guess I am looking for the most bang for the buck for fall hunting feed / attractant.
    Don't have access to equipment so paying a local farmer hopefully just once a year.
    2013 Elite Answer

Both!
    Hunt more, Work less.

Quote Originally Posted by Kb83 View Post
    For fall oats all day long. For spring-summer clover is the ticket.
    x2, the key is the time you are planting. i would mix in rye and wheat with the oats, even turnips, that is what we do.
    2011 HOYT CARBON ELEMENT 80 LBS. ROCKING RKT CAMS
    2014 OBSESSION PHOENIX 80 LBS.
    CARBOFAST X-TINCT 12" FRONT & 8" SIDE STABILIZERS

Quote Originally Posted by BucksnBass525 View Post
    I guess I am looking for the most bang for the buck for fall hunting feed / attractant.
    Don't have access to equipment so paying a local farmer hopefully just once a year.
    then broadcast and mow clover for summer and have him plant oats/rye/WW in fall

Quote Originally Posted by BucksnBass525 View Post
    I am looking for the most bang for the buck for fall hunting feed / attractant.
    oats then for sure, between the two you listed. we have been planting 50 plus acers of plots for years. we don't plant anything
    in the spring except milo, it gives good cover, and they like to eat the heads off. they have plenty to eat in the spring and summer where
    we are.
    2011 HOYT CARBON ELEMENT 80 LBS. ROCKING RKT CAMS
    2014 OBSESSION PHOENIX 80 LBS.
    CARBOFAST X-TINCT 12" FRONT & 8" SIDE STABILIZERS

Neither, I don't bait.

We plant oaks with clover at the same time late summer in Mich.. The oaks will act like a cover crop helping the clover establish & winter over, the oaks will not make the winter..Next spring you should have a nice clover food plot..

Quote Originally Posted by JC-XT View Post
    With 3 acres to plant I would put in both clover and oats. That's a great combination that will help bring deer to your property almost year round.

Agreed... Oats in the fall is a killer food plot....

Quote Originally Posted by moonshiner View Post
    just make sure your soil has good PH or whatever you plant aint worth squat.
    x2

Sent from my iPod touch using a telegraph line.

Oats , never could get clover to grow worth a crap here.the oats grow like weeds.the blend i use is iron clay peas.oats ,turnips,chicory,.this has been outstanding sofar.
    ONE PIN IS ALL YOU NEED, IF you have warp speed. Founder of Team OVERKILL.Shooting super warp speed bows built by Breathn .............................. ....Heavy draw weight ,franken head shooting deer slayer........................ ...Moderation is for cowards ."............................ .....................Team 4. IN 4 THE WIN

All we use are Buck Forage Oaks, the deer tear it up
    Bowtech RPM 360 60 lbs 27" draw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast