Votes: 38 63.3%
  • oats

Votes: 16 26.7%
  • other

Votes: 6 10.0%

Oats vs clover for food plot?

18K views 35 replies 26 participants last post by  paarchhntr 
#1 ·
Got a section of my property perfect for a plot, approximately 3 acres.
I am hearing clover is the best choice but some here really talk Oats up as well.

I am planning on working the ground shortly for a late summer planting.

I want the most attractive plot for the deer to keep using through deer season!

Should I go clover, oats or a combination?

#2 ·
Where are you located?

To hunt over in the fall in the mid west i would plant oats no doubt, if you are the property owner i would plant half of it in clover for a year round food source for your deer and turkey.

Depending on the shape of the plot you could put the clover in the middle and plant around it in oats.

#4 ·
Bought evolved harvest mega plot.. it has both and more.
I picked up the big mega plot bag and 2 small bags of shot plot at walmart for $11 total.. on the clearance shelf!

#11 ·
Combo

#14 ·
frost seed clover in march then drill in oats in the spring and you will have a good stand for turkey hunting in the spring and then mow it and the clover witll come back really thick for summer. then plow and plant rye/winter wheat combo late summer/early fall and it will be killer all season and winter long

#24 ·
Oats , never could get clover to grow worth a crap here.the oats grow like weeds.the blend i use is iron clay peas.oats ,turnips,chicory,.this has been outstanding sofar.

#31 ·
lots of people get rye and ryegrass confused, rye makes a great winter plot, it is more winter hearty than oats and some times winterwheat. stays green all winter long

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.