View Poll Results: Do you pack in lightweight fishing gear?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep, I take a few breaks to catch some tasty fish snacks.

27 54.00%
  • No way, I'm up there to hunt not fish.

14 28.00%
  • No way, that's additional weight I don't want to pack in.

2 4.00%
  • Maybe. I haven't really considered it before.

5 10.00%
  • Does RJ ever work?

2 4.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High Country Trout

Quote Originally Posted by easeup View Post
    I had to vote no way, I am there to hunt. however, the fishing gear is always in the truck for the post tag out adventure.
    I guess I can understand that for NR's. But when I've got 30 days to hunt and push hard for a few days, it's really nice to take an afternoon or even late morning and relax on the river or stream. Two years ago during opening week I'd hunt in the morning, then by 10 it was hot out so I'd hit the river. I did that three times that first week and had the best fly fishing I've had on that stretch since I was in high school. Mostly all Browns, and three good ones at that. In my OTC spot, there's a great little Brookie stream right there that I can hit whenever I feel like it too.

2006 LH Bowtech Old Glory 70#, 32 1/2" draw, back to the Hostage rest, SH 7-pin Hunter, 500gr TR Crush 300 @ 285fps.
    2007 LH Bowtech Commander 60#, 32" draw, Limbdriver rest, BG 5-pin Flashpoint.
    2014 PSE Freak SP 70#, 32" draw, not set up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 5MilesBack View Post
    I guess I can understand that for NR's. But when I've got 30 days to hunt and push hard for a few days, it's really nice to take an afternoon or even late morning and relax on the river or stream. Two years ago during opening week I'd hunt in the morning, then by 10 it was hot out so I'd hit the river. I did that three times that first week and had the best fly fishing I've had on that stretch since I was in high school. Mostly all Browns, and three good ones at that. In my OTC spot, there's a great little Brookie stream right there that I can hit whenever I feel like it too.
    me too! here is my idea of elk hunting and fishing
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life is Good!

Quote Originally Posted by easeup View Post
    me too! here is my idea of elk hunting and fishing
    Keep that line tight! Keep the tip up! Don't horse him in
    Alpine Archery F1 Fireball
    "Sir, left side Sir!" "Are you sure Private Pyle?"
    Elknut Field Staff

I voted does RJ ever work!!!! Just kidding. Where I hunt, there are no fish, but if I went somewhere were there would be fish, I would bring a pole.

Colette
    Mossy Oak Predator Pro Staff

Quote Originally Posted by 5MilesBack View Post
    There's nothing like fresh Brookies cooked over a fire at 11k feet.
    Oh yeah! :-D
    -Brian

First year I ever went elk hunting we took shotguns along to "take a break" from the elk hunting (to go grouse hunting). I must have hiked 10 miles
    that day looking for grouse, but instead of a bow, I had a shotgun. Instead of a pack, I had bird vest loaded down with shells and water.

None of us saw or got a shot off on a grouse the entire day. We were so whipped at the end of the day, we were relieved to be getting back to elk
    hunting b/c our legs were wore out. Never again. One of the all time dumbest ideas we ever had.

I could see the upside of fishing though.... you are at least relaxing, and mostly in the same place, and not carrying tons of crap.

-ZA
    BLACK WIDOW PSAII RECURVE - "DARK HEART" - 54# @ 28"
    BOWTECH CAPTAIN - 70# @ 29"

GO CLEMSON TIGERS!!!
    ZA's UCR's (Utility Constrictor Ropes)

Man, the taste of a fresh trout cooked on a hot rock over a bed of coals at 11,000'...it doesn't get much better than that!
    "His arrow will flash like lightning." Zechariah 9:14
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30, CBE Tek Hybrid sight, QAD Ultra Rest HDX, Injexion Arrows & Blazers, QAD Exodus broadheads, TightSpot quiver, Stokerized SS1 stabilizer, Spot Hogg Wiseguy release, Zeiss Conquest HD binocs, Leica 1000R rangefinder, Kifaru Timberline 2 pack, Bark River Gunny Hunter blade, Kuiu clothing, Lowa Cevedale boots

Quote Originally Posted by ZA206 View Post
    First year I ever went elk hunting we took shotguns along to "take a break" from the elk hunting (to go grouse hunting). I must have hiked 10 miles
    that day looking for grouse, but instead of a bow, I had a shotgun. Instead of a pack, I had bird vest loaded down with shells and water.

None of us saw or got a shot off on a grouse the entire day. We were so whipped at the end of the day, we were relieved to be getting back to elk
    hunting b/c our legs were wore out. Never again. One of the all time dumbest ideas we ever had.

I could see the upside of fishing though.... you are at least relaxing, and mostly in the same place, and not carrying tons of crap.

-ZA
    LOL! you know ZA that is a positively honest reply. and you didn't dish out any credit for whomever deserves it either.
    Life is Good!

ZA, just wondering why you guys thought it would be better to take a shotgun grouse hunting than your bow? My bow has better range and accuracy than my shotgun, even my 36" barreled goose gun. And I'm really surprised that you didn't run into that perfectly broadside 380" bull at 30 yards, since you had shotguns instead of bows.

But given your record........perhaps you should just go grouse hunting with the bow from now on, and if you happen to find an elk that's just an added bonus. Grouse hunting in elk country can be quite exhausting. Where I usually hunt, I swear the grouse are the size of turkeys.......especially when you almost step on one on the other side of a blowdown.
    2006 LH Bowtech Old Glory 70#, 32 1/2" draw, back to the Hostage rest, SH 7-pin Hunter, 500gr TR Crush 300 @ 285fps.
    2007 LH Bowtech Commander 60#, 32" draw, Limbdriver rest, BG 5-pin Flashpoint.
    2014 PSE Freak SP 70#, 32" draw, not set up yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12