• Tenzing

Votes: 22 36.1%
  • Other (and why)

Votes: 4 6.6%

Badlands -vs- Tenzing

15K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  mrbillbrown 
#1 ·
How goes it,
After my credit card was hit with a charge from the Utah-DWR over 8 days ago, I've had a pretty decent idea of which tag I drew but have been anxiously waiting for the "official" notification from the Utah-DWR via email...well as of this morning it's now finally official, looks like I'll be chasing fuzzy muleys in the BOOK CLIFFS this coming August with my stick-flicker!!! So with that said, the area is pretty rough and a pretty good chunk of it is 'road-less' foot & horse access only and I'll be needing some new equipment to help me get the job done...one of those items is a new pack. I'm after something that will obviously carry all of the essentials along with my bow and hopefully a cape & head as well, I know there are a few options out there but I wanted to ask the gallery here in the forum...which pack do you use or would recommend for a guy like me???

#10 ·
I have only seen the Tenzing in adverstisements in magazines. I have a Badlands 2200 and it is OK. I use an Eberlestock X-2 for day hunts and the 2200 or an Eberlestock Just one for overnighters. I want to sell the 2200 and the Just One at some point and buy a Kifaru Timberline 2 for overnighters. X-2 is a great day pack and packs meat well.

#13 ·
I have the 2200 and the Hybrid and have had no problems at all. Question is what size...CI....are you looking for and what price are you willing to pay? Extreme Elk had a good comparison in their summer issue that you may want to look at.

#14 ·
I like badlands I just bought a super day for $104, but like stated above you will want something bigger. Badlands make a great , well made pack. I have never had any failures on zippers or stitching issues. I have a 2200, hypervent , and now the super day, I have fell in love with the super day for a grab and go pack. Also look at the Sitka line of packs!

#17 ·
I would at least look at Kifaru and Mystery Ranch. The M.R. Will haul more than you wanna carry but it is a little on the heavy side when compared to the Kifaru. I've tried most of the packs from Badlands and a few from Eberlestock and for the price they're hard to beat. But once you spend the money on a great pack you'll never look back!

#20 ·
When compared to what all of our gear cost. The price on a crew cab isn't all that bad. Don't get me wrong, its a big investment to buy a pack like that. Look at what a person can spend on a tent, sleeping bag, bow, camouflage and boots just to name a few items. If your budget is tight cause of other gear you may need than by all means save a little on a pack. I spent 4 years with a badlands 2800 on my back for every elk, bear and deer hunt I went on. It never failed me! It's all in how much money you wanna spend and what level of comfort are you expecting from a pack. I spend 5 days a week running up and down the mountains logging, when I do it on my time I wanna be able to enjoy as much as possible.

#21 ·
I have owned a few badlands and recently a 2200 that worked great last season for those one day leave the truck in the money and back to it in the evening and i also had a sitka bivy 30 which one an alright pack but worked great. but recently ive sold/selling all my packs and going to tenzing. they seem to be just about everything i want in a pack. i just ordered a tz 2220 and will be ordering a tz 4000 for my overnight hunts. im also considering ordering a tz 1250 for the whitetail woods. i think tenzing makes a great pack and thats what ill be supporting around this year.

#23 ·
I know it's not on your list, but I like my Blacks Creek pack. My buddy is a HUGE Badlands fan, but he picked up a used Blacks Creek he found because of the price. When he got it home and got to play with it, he admitted that he thinks it's a better pack than his Badlands packs.

http://blacks-creek.com/

#24 ·
The Horn Hunter Full Curl pack system is a really well built pack that will do everything you want. It's a little bit on the heavy side but can be trimmed up a bit to shed some weight.
You have the option of wearing just the frame or frame and 2000 ci day pack or keep it all together. I think it's over 5000 ci in total. It's really well built with an awesome shelf for meat hauling.
The price is right and I think it will carry loads as well as many other packs costing hundreds more.

If you don't mind having a pack like this strapped to you all the time this could be a very reasonably priced option.

#25 ·
Love my badlands ultra-day pack. Just did 5 days in northern New Mexico mountains with it. Guess its more about how much a dude packs. Only complaint is that the hydration bladder elastic bands that hold the hydration tube is crap, and there s only 1 elastic strap to hold it.

#28 ·
I have the Badlands Superday & Monster and an Eberlestock Tailhook. Played with the 2200 for a few days. Quality of both brands seems good enough to take anywhere and hunt hard. IMHO of course.

Best bet is to decide CI you want (or will work), decide a price range or budget, and try on as many as you can get your hands on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.