a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Sex Based Abortion

Quote Originally Posted by ZenBubba View Post
    On that basis a strangler wouldn't be a murderer, he/she would simply be cutting off life support.
    Did you fail biology a few times?

Quote Originally Posted by cobowhntr View Post
    stuff happens, that's the natural progression of life.

So the little zygote doesn't metabolize nutrition?
    It lacks the ability to digest the food. The umbilical cord does not run from the mothers tummy to the baby's. It's pre-processed because the baby is unable to convert the food to energy. Development, however, does use up a lot of energy.

Quote Originally Posted by MN_Chick View Post
    Yeah, I do agree that it's a bad idea and a sign of a very unhealthy mindset. But why should some women have to justify their decision and not others?
    every woman has to justify it, some justifications are just better.

The bottom line is that she has the right to determine what she does with her body.
    after a certain point it's not just her body and usually by the time sex is able to be determined it's already too late.

As soon as we allow panels and committees and lawyers to take that away, women revert to being property.
    i fail to see how that reverts making them property.

So even though I don't agree that its right or healthy, I will support a woman's right to decide for herself.
    well some decisions shouldn't be supported I think. If I met someone who got a late term abortion because of the sex of the baby that would never be supported.

You are right about sex based abortion, though. It is, it itself, fairly biased against women. But I know several people with kids of all one gender who just kept trying for that other one and now have more kids than they really wanted. But most sex based abortion is an issue in cultures where women are still no more than a burden to the family. For us to make laws against it is frivilous, at best. At worst its another sideways attempt to limit a womans right to make her own choices about her own body.
    I feel that a law against it may help curb the trend and again, after a certain point it's not just her body.

So the woman loses her right when YOU are no longer "comfortable" with her exercising the right that you believe she has.
    To wrap up both of the current right to end life threads; life can only be terminated when you are ok with it.?.
    the reason I say I'm not comfortable with it is because after a certain point the child has a viable body and when sex is able to be determined that is usually at or past the time it develops an actual body structure.

Did you fail biology a few times?
    The point is when a person is on life support they are actively being kept alive. If no one was intervening they would die. A baby on the other hand requires no such intervention to survive. It can survive passively, the mother need do nothing. The only way it's life can be ended, barring complications, is for it's death to be actively pursued.

Is this starting to sink in?

It lacks the ability to digest the food. The umbilical cord does not run from the mothers tummy to the baby's. It's pre-processed because the baby is unable to convert the food to energy. Development, however, does use up a lot of energy.
    So the zygote metabolizes nutrition or not?
    Walk Your Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhooder3 View Post
    the reason I say I'm not comfortable with it is because after a certain point the child has a viable body and when sex is able to be determined that is usually at or past the time it develops an actual body structure.
    So the woman loses her right when YOU are no longer "comfortable" with her exercising the right that you believe she has.
    To wrap up both of the current right to end life threads; life can only be terminated when you are ok with it.?.
    ???
    Walk Your Talk

???
    my point is, when the fetus becomes an actual baby in the late term it's not longer just the mother's right because then the child is far enough in development to be called a child.

my point is, when the fetus becomes an actual baby in the late term it's not longer just the mother's right because then the child is far enough in development to be called a child.
    Sex can be determined before 20 weeks. The baby still can't survive outside the womb without extreme medical intervention & it's doubtful before 20+ weeks. It's still a "parasite". Your answer still doesn't address the principle.
    Walk Your Talk

Sex can be determined before 20 weeks. The baby still can't survive outside the womb without extreme medical intervention & it's doubtful before 20+ weeks. It's still a "parasite". Your answer still doesn't address the principle.
    when have I ever said it's a parasite? your trying to use hyperbole to distort my arguments.

The point is when a person is on life support they are actively being kept alive. If no one was intervening they would die. A baby on the other hand requires no such intervention to survive. It can survive passively, the mother need do nothing. The only way it's life can be ended, barring complications, is for it's death to be actively pursued.

Is this starting to sink in?
    Incorrect. In utero, the mother is ACTIVELY keeping the fetus "alive". It cannot survive passively. Perhaps you are unfamiliar with pregnancy and how much it really does affect a womans body, the toll it actually takes. Those of us with children undergo that willingly and we don't generally complain (much). But it takes a full year to recover from pregnancy.

If the mother did not provide that life support, the fetus would simply wash away all on it's own.

So the zygote metabolizes nutrition or not?
    I can't answer the question, I'm unfamiliar with the terminology. I explained it the best I could.

every woman has to justify it, some justifications are just better.

after a certain point it's not just her body and usually by the time sex is able to be determined it's already too late.

i fail to see how that reverts making them property.

well some decisions shouldn't be supported I think. If I met someone who got a late term abortion because of the sex of the baby that would never be supported.

I feel that a law against it may help curb the trend and again, after a certain point it's not just her body.

Nope- she is not required to justify her medical and personal decisions to teh world at large OR the government.

Yes, after it becomes viable life, then my opinion changes. If I recall correctly, sex becomes evident long before viability. You may not be able to get the proper view on an ultrasound, though.

When men and society get to tell women when they must or may not carry/ terminate a pregnancy, she then loses rights to her own body. What does that make her, if not a slave?

Some decisions do not need to be made public for the world to support or not.

What trend? It's not really an issue here in the US.

The body parts are all in place long before the brain is developed enough to be aware of them.

Incorrect. In utero, the mother is ACTIVELY keeping the fetus "alive". It cannot survive passively. Perhaps you are unfamiliar with pregnancy and how much it really does affect a womans body, the toll it actually takes. Those of us with children undergo that willingly and we don't generally complain (much). But it takes a full year to recover from pregnancy.

If the mother did not provide that life support, the fetus would simply wash away all on it's own.
    You don't consciously provide it however. You can't spontaneously abort the baby.

You don't consciously provide it however. You can't spontaneously abort the baby.
    Nope. That's why we have abortion clinics. You make it sound like the woman goes on about her business while god knits together a little baby. It doesn't work like that. Pregnancy affects every part of a woman's body, and drains it of all resources. Don't downplay the process. Women's bodies must VERY actively provide for that fetus to survive.

Nope. That's why we have abortion clinics. You make it sound like the woman goes on about her business while god knits together a little baby. It doesn't work like that. Pregnancy affects every part of a woman's body, and drains it of all resources. Don't downplay the process. Women's bodies must VERY actively provide for that fetus to survive.
    Sure it takes its toll on a woman's body but apparently some women don't even know they are pregnant and deliver babies. They based a whole television series on it.

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/tv/i-di...i-was-pregnant

Sure it takes its toll on a woman's body but apparently some women don't even know they are pregnant and deliver babies. They based a whole television series on it.

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/tv/i-di...i-was-pregnant
    Yup. Some women are so out of tune with their bodies that they can't tell when something is off, uusually because its already so out of wack. It made a tv show because its so far out of the norm. Nice try.

Yup. Some women are so out of tune with their bodies that they can't tell when something is off, uusually because its already so out of wack. It made a tv show because its so far out of the norm. Nice try.
    How well did you do in biology class? You seem to be arguing from ignorance about how human pregnancy works.

How well did you do in biology class? You seem to be arguing from ignorance about how human pregnancy works.
    Yup, you are absolutely correct. I remained as ignorant as possible with... um... ALL FOUR of mine.

IMO, the baby has natural rights seperate from the mother. The mother had the right to decide to have sex or not, wether the mother gets pregnant do to the sex and doesnt want the baby is irrlevant to the right of the babies right to life.

In the case of rape there are morning after pills that would be perfect for these sickening situations.

What about equal rights in regards to accountability? The male is accountable at conception. He is at least compelled to pay child support which is appropriate. In the case of consensual sex why isn't the female?

What about equal rights in regards to accountability? The male is accountable at conception. He is at least compelled to pay child support which is appropriate. In the case of consensual sex why isn't the female?
    That is another complicated issue. But if you want to play that game- the father is not accountable for anything until the child is born. They don't hit him up for child support when the child is in utero. They don't make him pay for medical care before the kid is born. He is only held accountable AFTER the child is born. Why should the woman be held to a different standard?

Dumbest argument about viable life you could make really. How consistent are you willing to be on that train of thought? Hmm? Are you also willing to say that a mother has the right to kill her baby at, say, 3 months old, seeing as the baby couldn't survive without her aid? How about at 1 year old? how about 2 years old?
    ~Those of you who think you know everything are annoying those of us who do.
    ~Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak.
    ~An error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it.

Quote Originally Posted by MoBo Act 4:12 View Post
    Dumbest argument about viable life you could make really. How consistent are you willing to be on that train of thought? Hmm? Are you also willing to say that a mother has the right to kill her baby at, say, 3 months old, seeing as the baby couldn't survive without her aid? How about at 1 year old? how about 2 years old?
    I can explain it again, butI can't make your brain grasp it. Needing assistane has nothing to do with it. Your body being able to accomplish basic functions such as eating annd breathing are pretty critical, though.

When people are no longer able to do those things ontheir own, then we often pull the plug for them. You can't pull the plug on someone who is able to eat and breathe on their own.

I can explain it again, butI can't make your brain grasp it. Needing assistane has nothing to do with it. Your body being able to accomplish basic functions such as eating annd breathing are pretty critical, though.

When people are no longer able to do those things ontheir own, then we often pull the plug for them. You can't pull the plug on someone who is able to eat and breathe on their own.
    You could make my brain grasp it if you made sense, but you aren't.
    ~Those of you who think you know everything are annoying those of us who do.
    ~Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak.
    ~An error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it.

Quote Originally Posted by MoBo Act 4:12 View Post
    You could make my brain grasp it if you made sense, but you aren't.
    Viabe life is a fairly well understood and accepted term. If you are unable or unwilling to acknowledge it, then there is no point in discussing this with you. It will not bother me at all if you hide from reality.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast