Thread: Clover Food Plot Update

Clover Food Plot Update

An update on my clover food plot and tips on how to manage clover throughout the summer.

http://bonesnbroadheads.com/2012/06/...d-plot-update/
    BowTech Experience CPX, Montana Black Gold Ascent, B-Sting Pro Hunter stabilizer, TightSpot quiver, Easton Axis FMJ, Rocket Meatseeker Broadheads

ttt
    BowTech Experience CPX, Montana Black Gold Ascent, B-Sting Pro Hunter stabilizer, TightSpot quiver, Easton Axis FMJ, Rocket Meatseeker Broadheads

This would be great in the AT food plot section. You wouldnt have to TTT to get some attention there.

Good stuff Sheepman - can't wait to check it out when I'm there.
    Mathews Z7 - classic
    Hoyt Vector 32 - Bone Collector
    Hoyt Spyder 30

Yes,, Im very interested to see the progress myself. I have another one acre section that I was thinking of planting clover on for the fall.
    Team #18 - DEADLOCK

Thanks for the comments. I will keep you updated on the plot. It really looks great after mowing.

Nicely done! I'm not sure, though, I subscribe to your mow it - then spray it philosophy. Is there any situation where you would be satisfied with just mowing? Isn't one method a substitute for the other? Why not just spray it and skip the mowing?

I'm having this internal debate with myself on the above questions. Maybe you'd like to join in!

The mowing controls the broadleaf weeds where a herbicide application would only control the grasses. Clover is a broadleaf, so if I sprayed something like Roundup or 2-4,D to control the broadleaves, I would also kill the clover. By mowing, I can control the broadleaves and let the clover grow......clover grows fast and should start to "choke out" the weeds. Also by mowing, I can get the grass to a smaller size which is easier to kill with less herbicide.

Mowing is recommended no matter what. Mowing allows the clover to grow thicker and more lush.
    Last edited by Sheepman; June 5th, 2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman View Post
    The mowing controls the broadleaf weeds where a herbicide application would only control the grasses. Clover is a broadleaf, so if I sprayed something like Roundup or 2-4,D to control the broadleaves, I would also kill the clover. By mowing, I can control the broadleaves and let the clover grow......clover grows fast and should start to "choke out" the weeds. Also by mowing, I can get the grass to a smaller size which is easier to kill with less herbicide.

Mowing is recommended no matter what. Mowing allows the clover to grow thicker and more lush.
    There are herbicides that will control broadleaf in clover; ammonium salt of imazethapyr (Pursuit, Slay); 2,4DB (Butyrac). I'm still formulating a philosophy (there doesn't seem to be food plot science!). I prefer mowing. I think I'd rather by gas than herbicides. Around my part of the world, all the broadleaf weeds are annuals and many are preferred whitetail species. Spreading perennial grass are what drive me to drink....