Thread: Question for you Afrikaaners

Question for you Afrikaaners

I'd appreciate your sharing your thoughts on a few subjects as applies to arrows. Especially, but not necessarily limited to, plains game.

1 Given that some of us are aging a bit (I'm 64) what would you consider minimum draw weight (compound) for various size game?

2 Would you agree that with age -- and decreasing draw weight -- arrow weight and FOC need to be kept up and not lowered?

3 I think FOC is very important for penetration -- agree or disagree? What about overall arrow weight?

4 For best result of a quick recovery, 2, 3, or 4 blade heads?

My very limited experience suggest that a moderately heavy arrow with good FOC, and a cut on contact head is dependable. I'd like to hear your opinions.

Thanks for taking the time.

When I went in Sept. 2011 .... I checked out quite a few web sites , I found in Namibia the law stated that for plains game you need to shoot at least 65lbs and your arrow must weigh a min. of 450 grains . I was shooting a Maniac Missions set at 67 lbs and my arrows (Easton Power Flight 340 with 140 grain G5 montecs ) hit a whooping 459 grains . I was good to go . My PH believed my set up would be good on big Eland shold one come along .
    Glen

I just returned from South Africa on a hunt with my Long Bow .... I used a 56" 50@28 Big Jim Thunderchild with GT 3555's Abowyer Bonehead broadheads right wing single bevel with 100 grain brass inserts... This arrow from my bow was right at 600 grains and about 22% FOC ( I think my PH would concure on the effectiveness of my set up). I had two holes an Impala, Blesbuck, Nyala and Red Duiker. Granted these are not the largest game but with all things considered I think I would have good results with animals of the Kudu size if choosing the distance and shot correctly. This is a fairly lumbering arrow at around 155fps but extremely effective on every animal I took. Physical issues force me to use light equipment.

One more thing.... I can't say this LOUD enough MY BROADHEADS are Single blade, Single bevel cut on contact and RAZOR SHARP!!!!

PS.... this was my 60th birthday present to me... hope this helps motivate you as it was a wonderful experience for me and I cannot recomend it enough... Given the advancement of compounds now days I would think a 50# compound with a heavy arrow and a cut on contact BH would be a devastating tool for just about anything short of dangerous game "IMO"

Africa_day_2_028.jpg

Africa2012008.jpg

Minimum standards and what works ma not always coincide. I think Fritz Rabe can give us more of a break down, but I know in Africa the guys talk of heavy arrows (500+) with good FOC. Depending on your poundage may determine your broadhead. Lower poundage, use a nice one piece, single bevel broadhead as coaster500 has suggested, you cant go wrong with that!

More important than all that, shot placement. Put that heavy arrow with a razor sharp broadhead in the engine room and your buck isnt going far!

coaster500 tell us more about your hunt please, maybe under a seperate topic? Im also after Nyala and Red Duiker come the 8th of July! So excited to hunt in Natal.

Coaster,

Nice trophies all, but I really like that Impala. For some reason those diverging horn tips make a world of differene to me.

Were you hunting from a blind, and if so, I assume you had enough room for the stickbow? Some of the blinds I hunted from I don't think even my recurves would have fit, at least not with the cant.

You are 100% correct "More important than all that, shot placement. Put that heavy arrow with a razor sharp broadhead in the engine room and your buck isnt going far!"..... if you look at one of my broadheads you will bleed. That combined with an arrow that flys as well with fletch as it does with and if I put them where they belong they are deadly.... if like myself you are FORCED to use equipment that is lighter than ideal you just have to take your time and wait for the right shot but let's face it isn't that what we need to do anyway?

Posted new topic as requested...