Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best micro diameter arrow for hunting?

Best micro diameter arrow for hunting?

Just looking for some opinions. What do you think is the best micro diameter arrow for hunting and why?

2012 Hoyt CE RKT • HHA 5519 • QAD HDX • Fuse Carbon Blade Hunter 8.5” • Tight Spot • G5 Titanium Peep
    Easton Carbon Injexion w/NAP Big Nasty

Beman Realtree (current model is Bone Collector), like them because they are cheap, heavy, tough
    Luck favors the prepared

Bowhunting is like peeing your pants; others can see you doing it but only you can feel the special warmth that it brings

K.I.S.S.

Bowtech Assassin 61#
    Beman Realtree 400 w/ Blazers
    Muzzy 100's
    Tru-fire edge
    Whisker Biscuit
    Tru-glo sight
    Fuse stabilizer

Gold Tip Kinetics Pros would be my vote for the best....their tolerances are the best, they have the best insert setup, and overall durability is higher on Gold Tips than any other arrows I've tested! If you dont wanna drop the coin for Pros, get XT's and cut them from both ends!

A close second would be VAP's.....easton axis and shafts of that type are not even on the same level due to the stupid HIT and poor tolerances, when compared to GT Pros! Injexions and any other arrows requiring deep six inserts, that then requires you to buy specially threaded deep six BH's are even worse in my oppinion.....I would make cedar arrows before shooting or buying those BS things!
    Elite Answer
    Dead Center Archery Bowhunting Staff Triple Toe Game Calls Pro Staff

ttt
    2012 Hoyt CE RKT • HHA 5519 • QAD HDX • Fuse Carbon Blade Hunter 8.5” • Tight Spot • G5 Titanium Peep

Not sure if these are the "best", but the deep impacts by black eagle archery have very good specs
    Bowtech Insanity 62#
    Black Eagle
    Maybe 150gr VPA vented penetrator
    Team #27 Operation Red Shaft

If I were to try some I would look at the Vap's...

The Easton axis have been proving themselves longer than any other micro shaft out there since they hit the market besides the acc which is a little too pricey for my liking. I can shoot them out to 120yds and only be limited by my own abilities. When I'm on they will hold groups with no problem and I have never had on break on an animal. I have used them since they first came out and don't plan on switching any time soon.
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.
    AM32 APG-27"-Easton Axis 400grns-70#-285fps-Vapor Trail
    Element black out-27"-Easton Axis 400grns-70#-285fps-Vapor Trail

I shot easton axis' for a few years.
    Switched to flatlines last year to pickup a little speed and I like them so far.
    They are definitely a bit noisier thant the Axis arrows.

Injexions... NO DOUBT... Skip to about min 4:00 to get past our draw results.....

Visit my website update weekly -- A WHOLE BUNCH OF GOOD STUFF...Visit My NON-COMMERCIAL Website -- The New Mexico Sportsman

I have no idea what is the best micro diameter hunting arrow, but the Easton Axis arrows are good. I am very interested in the Easton Carbon Injexions, but the new inserts allow for a limited broadhead selection. I am not really interested in the broadheads available at this point for the Deep Six inserts. We will see if this concept takes hold and more broadheads become available for the system.

I really like the TR crush if you can find them. I put HIT inserts in them and they are way better than the outserts that come with them.
    2013 LH BOWTECH EXPERIENCE 60 LBS 29 1/2 IN
    2008 LH BOWTECH GENERAL 60 LBS 29 1/2 IN
    2007 LH BOWTECH GUARDIAN 60 LBS 29 1/2 IN

Easton all the way!

Black Eagle Deep Impacts... I'd put their weight and straightness tolerances up against any arrow on the market. Closer tolerances than Gold Tip, CX, or Easton, hands down. Add to that the fact that with the Deep Impact outsert, you can use ANY broadhead on the market... you're not just limited to certain ones like with the Deep Six outserts.
    2013 Bowtech Insanity CPX, 67lb/29.5", Vaportrail LimbDriver Pro-V, Trophy Ridge REACT sight, Trophy Ridge Static 6" stab
    BLACK EAGLE ARROWS Pro Staff
    VAPORTRAIL ARCHERY Pro Staff
    Pure Heart Outdoors is on Facebook!! www.facebook.com/pureheartoutdoors

Hmm... Black Eagles are new to me... Where are they made???
    J
    Visit my website update weekly -- A WHOLE BUNCH OF GOOD STUFF...Visit My NON-COMMERCIAL Website -- The New Mexico Sportsman

Black Eagles are new to me too?

Quote Originally Posted by MOBIGBUCKS View Post
    I really like the TR crush if you can find them. I put HIT inserts in them and they are way better than the outserts that come with them.
    Ditto. Been shooting mine for 4 years now. I have broken three arrows in 4 years shooting at just about everything. And those three I had to break off because I couldn't get them out of the hard railroad ties I shot them into. Couldn't even turn them with vice grips. I have tried VAP's, Axis, FMJ's, Beman Black Max Elites, GT Kinetics, and the best shooting smaller diameter shafts I've found are my TR Crush 300's.

I haven't found an outsert I like yet, so I stick with HIT's in my Axis, FMJ's, Kinetics, and Crush. Never had a single problem with HIT's.
    2006 LH Bowtech Old Glory 70#, 32 1/2" draw, back to the Hostage rest, SH 7-pin Hunter, 500gr TR Crush 300 @ 285fps.
    2007 LH Bowtech Commander 60#, 32" draw, Limbdriver rest, BG 5-pin Flashpoint.
    2014 PSE Freak SP 70#, 32" draw, not set up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 5MilesBack View Post
    Ditto. Been shooting mine for 4 years now. I have broken three arrows in 4 years shooting at just about everything. And those three I had to break off because I couldn't get them out of the hard railroad ties I shot them into. Couldn't even turn them with vice grips. I have tried VAP's, Axis, FMJ's, Beman Black Max Elites, GT Kinetics, and the best shooting smaller diameter shafts I've found are my TR Crush 300's.
    Yup, thanks for the advice on these arrows 5 Miles.
    2013 LH BOWTECH EXPERIENCE 60 LBS 29 1/2 IN
    2008 LH BOWTECH GENERAL 60 LBS 29 1/2 IN
    2007 LH BOWTECH GUARDIAN 60 LBS 29 1/2 IN

Why do folks always measure penetration with foam targets? Of course a smaller diameter will penetrate best......duh. If you have a heavier arrow with a broad head on the end.....the the faster light arrow will (as always) penetrate less and since we don’t hunt foam deer what does that prove?

C'mon folks.......the "do the laws of physics cease to exist in your quiver”? Are these “magic arrows”? Did you get them from the guy that sold Jack the magic beans…..? That reminds me of a funny clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f4Of4OCL_A
    Bowtech Commander
    (Compound Traditionalist…and inconspicuous Old Timer)
    Bear Super Kodiak

Beman Bone Collectors. Not a big Bone Collector fan but I really like these shafts.
    Obsession Phoenix
    Custom Black Gold Ascent
    QAD HDX rest
    Bloodsport Elites tipped with Hypodermics
    Doinker Platinum Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by deadquiet View Post
    Why do folks always measure penetration with foam targets? Of course a smaller diameter will penetrate best......duh. If you have a heavier arrow with a broad head on the end.....the the faster light arrow will (as always) penetrate less and since we don’t hunt foam deer what does that prove?

C'mon folks.......the "do the laws of physics cease to exist in your quiver”? Are these “magic arrows”? Did you get them from the guy that sold Jack the magic beans…..? That reminds me of a funny clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f4Of4OCL_A

Foam targets are one thing - but I just picked up the Easton Carbon Injexions to try them out. For s&g's, I shot one at a 3/8" piece of plywood and it went completely through, leaving only the nock stuck in the hole. Surprisingly, the fletchings stayed on as well. Here are the parameters for my scientfic research:

40 yd shot
    Draw Wt = 65#
    Draw Length = 28.5
    Arrow length = 29" plus field tip
    Arrow Wt = 440 gr
    Arrow Speed = 278 fps
    KE = 71 fp

Love the axis.....shooting injexion this year.
    Mathews Monster CHILL

Quote Originally Posted by PAkilla86 View Post
    Gold Tip Kinetics Pros would be my vote for the best....their tolerances are the best, they have the best insert setup, and overall durability is higher on Gold Tips than any other arrows I've tested! If you dont wanna drop the coin for Pros, get XT's and cut them from both ends!

A close second would be VAP's.....easton axis and shafts of that type are not even on the same level due to the stupid HIT and poor tolerances, when compared to GT Pros! Injexions and any other arrows requiring deep six inserts, that then requires you to buy specially threaded deep six BH's are even worse in my oppinion.....I would make cedar arrows before shooting or buying those BS things!
    I'm with ya...I started looking into some of these and the whole, special insert and special BH was BS!
    Ford 8n Pro Staff
    =============
    What fun is it to hunt a vegetable! Anyone can sneek up on a carrot!

i really like the axis's
    2014 LH APA mamba m7 29.5/65#, 291 fps, APA twister cdx rest, HHA OL-5000, easton axis .340, broadheads TBD
    2011 LH Bowtech Assassin 30/68#, 285 fps, schaffer opposition rest, g5 xr hybrid sight, easton axis .300, grim reapers

Quote Originally Posted by Boonie P View Post
    Foam targets are one thing - but I just picked up the Easton Carbon Injexions to try them out. For s&g's, I shot one at a 3/8" piece of plywood and it went completely through, leaving only the nock stuck in the hole. Surprisingly, the fletchings stayed on as well. Here are the parameters for my scientfic research:

40 yd shot
    Draw Wt = 65#
    Draw Length = 28.5
    Arrow length = 29" plus field tip
    Arrow Wt = 440 gr
    Arrow Speed = 278 fps
    KE = 71 fp
    Same thing though......you are shooting a thin arrow through a non-flesh and bone substance so it will go deeper. Just like a needle is easier to stick in a basketball than a 10 penny nail. But all that changes when you shoot an animal with BH tipped arrows because in flesh you get a wound channel......a rather large one I might add. Much bigger than the small variance of shaft diameters of small v large arrows.

If you don't believe me or haven’t seen it firsthand just look at some of the BH kill thread people just love to post here.

If you are looking for better penetration then go heavier….not smaller diameter and lighter......you will be better off. IMHO this is just another attempt at making folks think light fast arrows penetrate better.
    Bowtech Commander
    (Compound Traditionalist…and inconspicuous Old Timer)
    Bear Super Kodiak

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast