Thread: Ants in Trophy Cam

Ants in Trophy Cam

Has anyone ever had this problem? I'm not talking about a few, I'm talking about opening the camera and a large blob of ants, eggs, and feces fall out. I sent it back today, imo, I think the camera is ruined, it would not turn on.It was amazing how many were in there! Could not believe the smell from something that small. Do you think Bushnell will replace this under warranty?

Yep. I've had it happen when the camera is on a pine tree. Ants will eat through the gasket and work their way into a camera and eat through the electronics.

I've had it happen quite a few times (different makes, including TC). I ended up with placing ant poison in most of mine

I just cleaned a large ant nest out my Trophy Cam earlier this week. Fortunately, they didn't tear anything up and hopefully it won't happen again. I'm just glad I check my cameras every 10 days or so cause it could've gotten outta hand real fast.

God yes... Freezer is the way to go. Put it in a plastic bag then freezer. Kills em

Sent via smoke signal

I took mine and left it in a bag of rice in the sun... Dries everything out.. although be SURE you do NOT turn it on for a few days...
    Foot on DA head Turkey Calls
    Owner at Foot on DA Head Calls

I quit putting cameras out in the summer. I lost 4 cameras last year due to ants or moisture. They love Scoutguards.

Ortho Home Defense spray. Odor free and I have never had a problem since.
    http://www.homedepot.com/buy/outdoor...ler-71347.html

Desiccant packets, either commercial or the usually "free for the asking" version at your local pharmacy works wonders for moisture absorbtion related to temperature changes and humidity.
    http://www.zorb-it.com/

Anyone have any luck in having Bushnell fix/replace your camera?

If a ant can get in it is safe to assume water can as well!!!
    WWWJTSWildlifeCameras.Com
    "Know What Is Roaming Your Woods !"

I was getting about 200 pics a week on my cam and in the past three weeks, that # jumped to 1000. A lot of pics were of nothing. I suspected a spider, as it had made a nest just under the sensor. I disposed of the spider and still had 1000 pics. Brought it home yesterday and started shaking ants out. I had to open it up to get all the eggs and debris out. What a mess. to top it off, when i put it back together, it was not working. Fortunately, i was able to reassemble again after brushing the contacts/et. with a soft brush and it is working again. I will try some sort of insecticide when i put it back out

Matthews Q2
    Gold Tip
    3 blade, 100 grain muzzy's