Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Slick Trick Viper Trick

Wensel Woodsman,Zwickey, Ace and Snuffers are COC heads, sharp all the way to the point, cutting as soon as they touch skin, not just poking a hole.

[B]`10 ALL BLACK PSE VENDETTA 50/60 W/`11 CAMS....08 PSE X-FORCE 6 HF 40/50.....

Speed,k.e., arrow weight and broadhead mean absolutely nothing without the absolute killer ACCURACY

I definatly will be trying them, they look like a great design

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhuntr64 View Post
    Have you seen it? It's a wicked cool looking head, but you couldn't even fit the tip in a broadhead sharpener. It's more like a flattened Standard tip. It really seems to have six sides, rather than just two; the two large flat sides, then four edged sides.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortyneck View Post
    I haven't held one yet, but will soon.
    I got my Viper Tricks this week, , what a great looking broadhead. I really like the wedge shape to the whole tip and ferrule, looks it would have absolutely no problem busting through bone.

Definately shooting this head this season.
    My other bow is a Marlin 1895G 45-70 Gov't open sights
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiobooners View Post
    In all seriousness I do hope ppl understand that a deer is not worth losing your dignity over.

My Viper Tricks have shipped. Should have them in a few days.
    You can tell a lot about a Man by the way he shakes your hand."
    '14 HOYT FAKTOR 30/ Easton Bloodline/Grim Reaper 100gr./ ViperTrick 100gr.
    2013 Team 18 "The Death Panel" We decide which deer dies

Quote Originally Posted by USMCarcher26 View Post
    My Viper Tricks have shipped. Should have them in a few days.
    Mine should be here in a day or two as well.

In Christ: Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
    Great debate.....but.........How Did They Shoot......What kind of results are you guys getting out of them...........hard to tune?????? Field Point accuracy????????
    Same thing I am wondering?
    Bowtech Invasion, Easton Axis Infused arrows, Whisker Biscuit rest, Montana black gold sight, 8in Doinker Dish, slick trick viper trick

Got my 125-grain ViperTricks today.

They look kewl.

Going to my mamasan's house tomorrow for the 4th of July. I will try them out in her back yard when I have a free moment.

vipertricks.jpg

I just ordered some viper tricks too. I think I'll try one of the VPA heads this year too.
    Luck is a word average people use to validate their mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Griz34 View Post
    I just ordered some viper tricks too. I think I'll try one of the VPA heads this year too.
    The VPA 3-blades are sweet. But if you want some weight (higher FOC), then try their Penetrators!

Nice looking head but doesn't look like they offer anything over the magnums I'm currently using?

Quote Originally Posted by mez View Post
    Nice looking head but doesn't look like they offer anything over the magnums I'm currently using?
    Magnum = 2 1/4" cut
    ViperTrick = 1.94" cut

Seems like the ViperTrick is sleeker (higher ballistic coeffecient?), which means it should penetrate better.

Whereas the Magnum has a larger cut diameter, which means that it is made more for large cutting.

I chose the ViperTrick to check the penetration on bear this year. Being narrower, I hope it also flies a bit better at distances. (Hope it works).

Shot about 100-arrows into my 40-yard target today.

My field points were dead-on at 40-yards.

Then I tried the new 125-grain ViperTricks, as well as the 125-grain Razor Dobbs Black Death broad heads.

Both were juuuuuust about spot on.

They were both hitting about 1" inch high, and 2" inches to the left. As a matter of fact, I sliced two vanes from the super tight groupings.

I wanted to make the necessary adjustments to my sights...but I had forgotten my allen wrench set.

Aaaaaaarrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! *pulling my hair*

While I was shooting the two broad heads (both 125-grain broad heads, out of a 435-grain Gold Tip 5575), I decided to compare the penetration. It seems the Razor Dobbs Black Death penetrated about 1" inch deeper in general. (It must be the sleeker profile, and only two bleeder blades of the R.D. Black Death broad heads).

I also noticed I nicked one of the ViperTrick blades.

I am not sure what it hit. I checked all the arrows, and also the Razor Dobbs Black Death broad head...and nothing was touched that I could see.

I will try to resharpen the blade, but a chip is gone, so the blade cannot be reused for game. Drats!

But overall, they flew pretty good.

The Slick Trick ViperTricks
    b225267186.jpg

b225267185.jpg

Razor Dobbs Black Death
    b225267262.jpg

b225267263.jpg

The more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards the Razor Dobbs Black Death broad heads for my bear hunting in August.

Something about the penetration, and the much thicker blades, gives me a better sense of security.

I am sure they will both work. But seeing the ST ViperTrick blade getting chipped on "something," kinda made me take a second look at my choice. (What if I hit big bone at an angle)?

I know, I know...it could have easily happened to the RD Black Death broad heads. But it didn't. And have you seen those phat blades?!

Not knocking anyone. Just thinking out loud.

cool
    2011 Hoyt CRX32
    Spott Hogg- Hogg It Sight
    Trophy Taker Drop Away
    >>>---------Let ONE Fly---------->

Quote Originally Posted by RaymondMillbrae View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards the Razor Dobbs Black Death broad heads for my bear hunting in August.

Something about the penetration, and the much thicker blades, gives me a better sense of security.

I am sure they will both work. But seeing the ST ViperTrick blade getting chipped on "something," kinda made me take a second look at my choice. (What if I hit big bone at an angle)?

I know, I know...it could have easily happened to the RD Black Death broad heads. But it didn't. And have you seen those phat blades?!

Not knocking anyone. Just thinking out loud.

Raymond, I don't ever recall shooting any broadhead into thicker bone where a blade did not chip. break, or bend. And I've killed a lot of critters and hit lots of bone.

It's to my belief that a small chip like pictured above is a minor issue. The bh would have most certainly done it's job by that time and often continues to travel on through tissue and even more bone.

Skeet.
    I cut my arrows twice and they're still too short.

Every time you win an argument on Archerytalk you still lose because invetibly you're gonna tick off someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter 58 View Post
    Raymond, I don't ever recall shooting any broadhead into thicker bone where a blade did not chip. break, or bend. And I've killed a lot of critters and hit lots of bone.

It's to my belief that a small chip like pictured above is a minor issue. The bh would have most certainly done it's job by that time and often continues to travel on through tissue and even more bone.

Skeet.
    I totally understand and agree with you, Skeet. Being that I am shooting a 435 grain arrow, with nearly an 18% FOC...I am sure the arrows momentum would have kept it going on through.

And I am sure you have much more archery experience than I do. (Not said sarcastically at all).

But penetration and thicker blades instill more confidence in me. I will use the ViperTricks in the future, but may go with something a bit more "muscular" for my bear hunt.

I am not saying a huge 9" razor cannot cut off someones arm...but Id rather have the mass of a tomahawk doing it.

I am teally sold on the ViperTricks, but I guess I need something to give me a little more confidence in them for larger game.

Right now I am leaning on the RD Black Death, the VPA Penetrators, and the Eclipse Werewolves. Something about a beefy two blade BH instills confidence from the gitgo.

The blade edge contacted another head where you can chip or break any blade. The edge is the same geometry on other heads.
    Actually it showed the strength of the blade because with that impact it didn't bend or break. Thickness isn't the only measure of strength,
    the width of the struts also figure, and the VT has wide struts, notice how much wider the rear strut is on the VT than the RD, that is stronger geometry.

But consider the bleeder blades. If the RD is like the Phathead the bleeders are only .020 if I recall. The VT bleeder is the same as the
    main blade, a thick .035. Also the VT ferrule is steel intead of the RD aluminum, can't mess with steel on hard angle hits. Bone won't bother the VT.

Penetration wise, if the RD is the same as the Phatheads, then it simply cuts less. The Phathead 100 I believe
    only cuts 1" plus 3/4", this 125 head may be that or may be 1 1/8" vs the Viper which cuts 1 1/16" plus 7/8". Like the other Tricks, I wanted the VT to give better holes and bloodtrails than smaller heads. The larger bleeder makes a difference.
    Hope that helps.
    Last edited by OLDHOOTOWL; July 5th, 2012 at 02:11 PM.
    Slick Trick Head Honcho Or Whatever

Quote Originally Posted by OLDHOOTOWL View Post
    The blade edge contacted another head where you can chip or break any blade. The edge is the same geometry on other heads.
    Actually it showed the strength of the blade because with that impact it didn't bend or break. Thickness isn't the only measure of strength,
    the width of the struts also figure, and the VT has wide struts, notice how much wider the rear strut is on the VT than the RD, that is stronger geometry.

But consider the bleeder blades. If the RD is like the Phathead the bleeders are only .020 if I recall. The VT bleeder is the same as the
    main blade, a thick .035. Also the VT ferrule is steel intead of the RD aluminum, can't mess with steel on hard angle hits. Bone won't bother the VT.

Penetration wise, if the RD is the same as the Phatheads, then it simply cuts less. The Phathead 100 I believe
    only cuts 1" plus 3/4", this 125 head may be that or may be 1 1/8" vs the Viper which cuts 1 1/16" plus 7/8". Like the other Tricks, I wanted the VT to give better holes and bloodtrails than smaller heads. The larger bleeder makes a difference.
    Hope that helps.
    Thank you for the insight, OldHootOwl!

I will need to meditate on your words a bit more.

Like I said, I really like the ViperTricks design, as well as the solid steel ferrule. This is why I purchased it.

I appreciate the thought-out responses, as it gives me insights to think about that I would not have gotten on my own.

I guess it doesn't matter how thick and strong a broadhead's blades are if it's ferrule can't cash the checks the blades write.
    My other bow is a Marlin 1895G 45-70 Gov't open sights
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiobooners View Post
    In all seriousness I do hope ppl understand that a deer is not worth losing your dignity over.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortyneck View Post
    I guess it doesn't matter how thick and strong a broadhead's blades are if it's ferrule can't cash the checks the blades write.
    But then again, if the blades cannot cut it, might as well use a field point.

Ha ha ha.

I whole-heartedly agree with you!!!

A bear is not a tough animal as far as broadhead penetration is concerned. They are easy to completely pass thru with any of todays equipment even at low poundage. If you have never shot an animal with Tricks you don't get the true appreciation of just how tough and devastating they are. Steel is always supperior to aluminum in broadhead ferrule's. Do a search on here for some of the holes left in big African animals with the larger cut Mags. The VT will be like sending a razor thru hot butter when a bear is the target.
    "winners and losers are self determined but only the winners are willing to admit it"
    " you don't have to be on a southern plantation to be a slave, if you are dependent on government entitlements you just have a different slave owner"

Quote Originally Posted by RaymondMillbrae View Post
    I totally understand and agree with you, Skeet. Being that I am shooting a 435 grain arrow, with nearly an 18% FOC...I am sure the arrows momentum would have kept it going on through.

And I am sure you have much more archery experience than I do. (Not said sarcastically at all).

But penetration and thicker blades instill more confidence in me. I will use the ViperTricks in the future, but may go with something a bit more "muscular" for my bear hunt.

I am not saying a huge 9" razor cannot cut off someones arm...but Id rather have the mass of a tomahawk doing it.

I am teally sold on the ViperTricks, but I guess I need something to give me a little more confidence in them for larger game.

Right now I am leaning on the RD Black Death, the VPA Penetrators, and the Eclipse Werewolves. Something about a beefy two blade BH instills confidence from the gitgo.

if you want beefer blades,, get a pack of steel force phat heads,,, .80 thickness

Quote Originally Posted by xman59 View Post
    if you want beefer blades,, get a pack of steel force phat heads,,, .80 thickness
    I believe they are the same people that make the Razor Dobbs Black Death broadheads.

I am redesigning my arrows, and may abandon the 125 grain broadheads.

I think I am going to stick with the 150 grain broadheads, or the 175 grain broadheads.

So it looks like the RD Black Death, VPA Penetrators, and the Eclipse Werewolves, may be my main staple.

With the above broadheads, it looks like I can keep my arrows at a good 18 to 22% FOC.

If you are interested in bears, look on the front of the August Bowhunter. Thats the new #1 SCI and #2 P & Y
    Grizzly, taken with a 125 Standard, you can compare it to the Viper to see what it will do.
    Slick Trick Head Honcho Or Whatever

Gary, although I'm a huge SlickTrick fan, I must say that I disagree with the concept of C.O.C. heads by some of the manufacturers, including you with the VT.

IMO, a true C.O.C. head has the blades that forms the point(s), not any kind of extension there of. You know, heads like the HellRyzer, Montec, Stinger, etc.

But I will agree with you that it's not fair for some to use the wrong criteria and not the other. But it is misleading nonetheless IMO.

Considering some of the others do so, then I see no reason why you should not, however.

BTW, love the GrizzTrick 125's. Awesome bh.

Skeet.
    I cut my arrows twice and they're still too short.

Every time you win an argument on Archerytalk you still lose because invetibly you're gonna tick off someone else.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast